Hypoallergenic dog food - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Hypoallergenic dog food

We are going to try a new type of feeding for my older dog with abdominal bleeding. I bought Royal Canin rabbit but saw it contains potatoes. She has been eating potatoes in another food, so that is out. The other options are both prescription, RC hydrolyzed protein or Purina Pro Plan. Both are expensive and reviews said are tasteless too. It may be a short term option but I need a long term plan. I don’t know if I want to try the single source protein or not. RC contains many good additives, including taurine, which a lot of the LIDs don’t. I had her on Zignature for a while but it didn’t solve the problem. Raw is out because it seems to be protein that is the irritant. Is there any solution that is not prescription that also contains all nutrients? While she is on an elimination diet, I can’t give her anything else, not even probitiotics.

Last edited by LuvShepherds; 01-29-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 12:02 PM

Is the bleeding caused by ulcers?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

They think so. We have had all kinds of tests done and they all came back negative. The vet finally said we need to correct it as if we had results, so they are treating it as possibly food related idiopathic ulcers. It may or may not be an allergy but she doesn’t have any other allergy symptoms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 05:08 PM
Elite Member

My dog is currently doing well on Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Sensitivity Control Dry formulation, the novel protein source being duck and tapioca. He actually likes it!!!!! Unfortunately, its expensive.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkirk View Post
My dog is currently doing well on Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Sensitivity Control Dry formulation, the novel protein source being duck and tapioca. He actually likes it!!!!! Unfortunately, its expensive.
Thank you. What size bag can you get? The larger bag should save money over 7 lb bags. How much do you feed a day?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 05:18 PM
Crowned Member

I fed my dog the Pro Plan food when it was suspected he had allergies. It was not food allergies so he is back on his regular food. Regardless, he did not have any problem eating the food.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 05:46 PM

I have a very old dog that can only tolerate home cooked meals. Sometimes home prepared food containing the same ingredients is tolerated. Just a thought.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
I fed my dog the Pro Plan food when it was suspected he had allergies. It was not food allergies so he is back on his regular food. Regardless, he did not have any problem eating the food.
I am considering that, but the lack of taste concerned me. We are going to stick with the RC for now, temporarily, and if the symptoms don’t come back, start adding ingredients one at a time until we can switch to a different, quality food.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
I have a very old dog that can only tolerate home cooked meals. Sometimes home prepared food containing the same ingredients is tolerated. Just a thought.
I tested her on cooked chicken and rice and it made her worse. If that worked, I would have done it. She is a young senior, not yet that old.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 07:38 PM
Crowned Member

I had mine on the Royal Canin Ultanimo for awhile. Her stools were great on it, but it did not fix her nausea and vomiting. Eventually I gave up on it. She is doing great on Honest Kitchen now but she is also still on steroids so I can't say for sure what the HK has really contributed

She ate it readily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page