Need help picking a new food - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 28
Need help picking a new food

I have an 18 month old who I have been feeding Stella and Chewy frozen raw to and am looking to switch. The reason for the switch is the cost ($350/month) as well as it is real difficult to have the place where we leave him when we go away deal with raw. He is also allergic to chicken (gives him real bad diarrea) - he could probably have a food with small amounts but not a chicken based food. Looking for a high quality kibble that is obviously good for his overall health. This is my fourth shepherd and the frozen raw has kept his stools amazing and his coat so beautiful - would be great if you could recommend a kibble that could do the same. Thanks for any help and recommendations.
MikeMac is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 12:08 PM
Crowned Member
 
Jax08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NNE PA
Posts: 29,762
Where are you located? Maybe find a Tefco supplier or a Ross Wells supplier.




Jax08 is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 02:47 PM
Crowned Member
 
Momto2GSDs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,537
Kibble could never do for your dog what raw does.

Kibble is "extruded" and cooked at high temperatures.


My suggestion would be to continue to feed raw and if you need to leave him with someone, feed him 100% human ingredient, dehydrated dog food made by The Honest Kitchen (a 10 lb box re-hydrates to approx 40 pounds of food) or an "air dried" food called Ziwi Peak which looks like little pieces of jerky. These are expensive, but well worth it to me when we travel and I don't want to take raw with us.

Both of these foods provide "one protein" choices.

Ziwi Peak: https://www.ziwipets.com/catalog/ziw...dried-dog-food

The Honest Kitchen:
https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/
There is also an Honest Kitchen BASE MIX (for adult dogs) to which you add your own raw or cooked meat. https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/dog-food/base-mix

For traveling, you could also try something like STELLA & CHEWY or PRIMAL Freeze Dried.


Bravo "BALANCE" raw food is a litter cheaper than S&C: Discover Bravo Balance<sup>®</sup> Raw Diet | Frozen Raw Dog Food - Bravo Pet Food

Find a store near you: Find a Bravo Retailer - Bravo Pet Food





Hope this helps!
Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Where are you located? Maybe find a Tefco supplier or a Ross Wells supplier.
Thanks Jax! I'm located in South Florida. Closest Tefco is around an hour away. Is Tefco the same as Tian Dog Food as that is what comes up when I google it?
MikeMac is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs View Post
Kibble could never do for your dog what raw does.

Kibble is "extruded" and cooked at high temperatures.


My suggestion would be to continue to feed raw and if you need to leave him with someone, feed him 100% human ingredient, dehydrated dog food made by The Honest Kitchen (a 10 lb box re-hydrates to approx 40 pounds of food) or an "air dried" food called Ziwi Peak which looks like little pieces of jerky. These are expensive, but well worth it to me when we travel and I don't want to take raw with us.

Both of these foods provide "one protein" choices.

Ziwi Peak: https://www.ziwipets.com/catalog/ziw...dried-dog-food

The Honest Kitchen:
https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/
There is also an Honest Kitchen BASE MIX (for adult dogs) to which you add your own raw or cooked meat. https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/dog-food/base-mix

For traveling, you could also try something like STELLA & CHEWY or PRIMAL Freeze Dried.


Bravo "BALANCE" raw food is a litter cheaper than S&C: Discover Bravo Balance<sup>®</sup> Raw Diet | Frozen Raw Dog Food - Bravo Pet Food

Find a store near you: Find a Bravo Retailer - Bravo Pet Food





Hope this helps!
Moms

Wow!! Thank you so much Moms! Going to look into Bravo as they sell that where I am buying S&C. We are going away in a week and wonder if the freeze dried is an easy replacement that doesn't require any transition - would you know?
Thanks again!
MikeMac is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 04:29 PM
Crowned Member
 
Jax08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NNE PA
Posts: 29,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMac View Post
Thanks Jax! I'm located in South Florida. Closest Tefco is around an hour away. Is Tefco the same as Tian Dog Food as that is what comes up when I google it?
No idea if they are a distributor.

Rawdogfoodwholesale.com




Jax08 is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 07:52 PM
Crowned Member
 
Magwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,360
You can cut the cost of commercial raw about by 30-50% by feeding a base mix (like The Honest Kitchen or Sojo's) that contains no meat. It's a porridge that when rehydrated supplements meat of your choice to make a complete, balanced (AAFCO compliant) meal. Sojo's grain-based Mix-A-Meal is far and away the cheapest base-mix -- it comes in a huge 40# bag. If your dog handles grain well, that would be the cheapest way to still feed a partial raw, balanced diet.

The Honest Kitchen's Preference is a grain-free option, though significantly more expensive than Sojo's. I go through two boxes a month with a 75-ish pound adult dog -- plus his meat (which turns out to be 10# week). Dr. Harvey's Veg-to-Bowl is comparable to THK, and their Paradigm formula is excellent (but very expensive).


FWIW, I buy my THK through OnlyNaturalPet.com and can always find a coupon code for at least 15% off.


I would also add fish oil -- and taurine, as there's some concern about that with these diets right now (discussed in another thread).
Magwart is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 08:13 PM
Crowned Member
 
Jax08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NNE PA
Posts: 29,762
Blue Ridge raw may be an option for you if you can find a co-op




Jax08 is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 11:38 PM
Crowned Member
 
Momto2GSDs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMac View Post
Wow!! Thank you so much Moms! Going to look into Bravo as they sell that where I am buying S&C. We are going away in a week and wonder if the freeze dried is an easy replacement that doesn't require any transition - would you know?
Thanks again!

All dogs are different.



Mine can switch without a problem. Some dogs can't.


I would stick with the S & C raw and S & C freeze dried, not two different brands, that could cause gut upset. Try switching for a few days before you leave to make sure it works.


Moms
MikeMac likes this.
Momto2GSDs is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 11:49 PM
Master Member
 
Chuck94!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Manhattan, KS & Overland Park, KS
Posts: 672
I'm one of the few who advocates kibble.. I would also bet my dog is healthier than most
MikeMac likes this.

Rollo: Viking & 1st ruler of Normandy | D.O.B. | 11-27-2017
Chuck (me): |23 Years Old|
Chuck94! is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BLOAT true medical emergency: a must read for GSD owners fkeeley Health Issues 297 05-27-2018 02:40 PM
Continually licking and chewings paws Hammyman Health Issues 6 02-04-2016 07:45 AM
Choosing food is no walk in the park gsdlover91 Feeding Our Puppy 20 01-14-2013 08:57 PM
Food Aggression at this age? Kamahi Puppy Behavior 39 05-20-2010 09:52 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome