7 month old pup - odd eating habits - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

7 month old pup - odd eating habits

Hey guys,

My best friend is having a little trouble with her 7 month old pup and getting her to eat consistently. She's about 50 lbs at the moment and usually on the lean side. However, recently she's been looking like she's lost weight and you can see most of her ribs. As a tiny pup from the breeder, she was given frozen raw (a blend of chicken and veggies I believe). She ate this for a few months but then she started having some digestive issues and it didn't seem to agree with her so she would skip meals. My friend switched her to Orijen and she began to scarf it down like she was starving...

So she's been on Orijen for a few months now and is pretty inconsistent with eating. She gets plenty of exercise and mental stimulation to work up an appetite before meal times, which can help, but not always. She will often eat normally for a day or two and then skip up to three meals in a row. She's getting 3 cups of Regional Red per day (or that's what we're aiming for based on the bag and her weight).

She did just go into her first heat this week, however, this problem was happening before that happened. Other than the finicky eating habits, she is full of energy and attitude and doesn't seem to have slowed down at all. Our concern is that she should be eating more and that she might not be getting all the nutrients she needs from the food. I know GSDs can be finicky eaters, but we don't want to jump around swapping foods and "feed the beast" haha.

Thoughts? She is already planning to take her to the vet to ensure nothing is physically wrong with her. If she was your dog, what would you do? Happy to answer any other questions if you guys have any!

It is sad that maturity sometimes leads us not into a greater depth of experience and more intense enjoyment of our world but rather to an apathetic belief that we've already been there and done that. - Suzanne Clothier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 09:06 AM
Crowned Member

I would try adding some fresh food as a topper to their diet to make meals a bit more interesting either dehydrated raw patties, goats milk, honey kitchen beef broth, raw egg, plain yogurt, fresh chicken meat etc. I also make sure the bowls are picked up after a meal time. I don’t leave bowls out regardless. Always bring to dog to vet if any concerns. Young pup growing pups are often a healthy thin until they fill out as they mature. You can always try another food. If you do switch foods it’s important to gradually switch with a new food slowly increasing the new food over a week.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 11:27 AM
Crowned Member

It's possible it's just not the right food, still. My dog was pretty picky for awhile until I got him on what agrees with him and he is a very good eater these days.

Also too high fat content gets his stomach upset and then he will skip meals.

I also like to throw special stuff in like Jenny said, although that isn't why my dog eats well now because he would skip a meal with tasty things on it when he was having his hard time.

2 of my dogs eat kibble so I try to throw meat or cottage cheese or or eggs something tasty and real on there so they aren't only eating kibble. They like it, and it makes me feel better that they are getting at least some real food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post
It's possible it's just not the right food, still. My dog was pretty picky for awhile until I got him on what agrees with him and he is a very good eater these days.

Also too high fat content gets his stomach upset and then he will skip meals.

I also like to throw special stuff in like Jenny said, although that isn't why my dog eats well now because he would skip a meal with tasty things on it when he was having his hard time.

2 of my dogs eat kibble so I try to throw meat or cottage cheese or or eggs something tasty and real on there so they aren't only eating kibble. They like it, and it makes me feel better that they are getting at least some real food.
Seconded. My pup was very inconsistent on Orijen and then Acana and had inconsistent poops too - sometimes soft and kinda nasty. When he was a bit over a year (he’s 2 now) I transitioned him to Farmina N&D Codfish and Orange (he’s now on the ancestral grain version). He hasn’t missed a meal since and wolfs it down each time, whereas before, he would pick at it for a bit, and then I would put it up. You may just have a picky eater, but I know that Orijen has been a little too rich for some dogs to handle. It’s possible you haven’t found a food that fully agrees with her yet.

Rocket (pomeranian) - 01/2002 - 03/2016
Hircine vom HausReid "Sawyer" (GSD) - 11/24/16

-Alyssa
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! After doing some more reading we decided to try another kibble (was also reading up on the DCM scare stuff online here and elsewhere - scary stuff!). We got a small bag of Purina Pro Plan (sensitive stomach - salmon version) with some pumpkin puree and she's eaten two meals straight.

Fingers crossed, although she did the same thing to us when she came from the breeder eating raw. She stopped eating and then when she was switched to Orijen, she scarfed it down for a while before turning her nose at that too.

It is sad that maturity sometimes leads us not into a greater depth of experience and more intense enjoyment of our world but rather to an apathetic belief that we've already been there and done that. - Suzanne Clothier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page