Insect Diet for Dogs - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 55Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 08:25 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
No, they arenít plants. Would you eat bugs? I donít care how they are prepared, the ick factor as you call it is too high. Sort of like eating snails.
So no strawberry yogurt, jelly beans, or sausage for you then? The common food additive carmine is nothing more than crushed up insects - gives a nice red color to food. Popular brands contain it too - big ones like yoplait. Then, you have shellac, while not the whole insect, it is the secretion of one. You find that in lots of ingredient lists too.

But yes. I would and have intentionally eaten bugs as well. I've traveled a bit and sampled local cuisine. I've gone to catered entomophagy lectures. I've eaten stir fried grasshoppers, ant larva, fried tarantulas, chocolate "chirp" cookies made with cricket flour, scorpion on a stick, various roasted crispy dry insect snacks, etc.

I also probably have a can of escargot somewhere in the pantry.
Jax08, JessicaR and Cascade like this.

Do the things!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 09:03 PM
Crowned Member

I like snails.
Also sampled some crunchy critters. Lots of people think cows and pigs are disgusting. Food is food.
voodoolamb likes this.
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 09:16 PM
Administrator

I ate termites (knowingly and deliberately) when I was backpacking on the cheap through Central America. Didnít want to offend the people I was with, who fervently insisted I share in eating them.

Oddly, they were sweet, almost too sweet. Not offensive or unpleasant. Not entirely unlike sugary Rice Krispies.

I would never have selected termites off a grocery shelf, but keeping an open mind certainly leads down some interesting paths.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 09:41 PM
Crowned Member

Nature will force feed you bugs riding motorcycles. Some go down easy and others can get stuck in your teeth.
Sabis mom, car2ner and JessicaR like this.
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 09:46 PM
Crowned Member

I could easily be a vegetarian. I eat meat because it's put on my plate not because I enjoy it with the exception of a good burger or steak once in a while.
Sabis mom and voodoolamb like this.

post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 10:50 PM

I'm a firm believer in eating healthy foods that I enjoy. In that light, I'd like my dog to have healthy food that is tasty for them. Bug processing would have to come a long way to pass the taste test.

After reading the article referenced, I view the manufactures of the bug-rich pet food as trying to capture the portion of the market that will buy anything if it says it will limit global warming. I see it as a buyer beware situation.

I'll try to walk the line here. This thread opened with mention of global warming. I believe my paragraph below addresses some examples of how some radical measures taken in the spirit of global warming have little benefit.

I live in California, where they want to control everything and those in power want to believe they are world leaders in the global warming front. You might find the link below to a study by Chapman University interesting. For all the control, restrictions, taxes, fees, surcharges, etc., that California imposes on their residents, other states surpass California in reducing per-capita emissions. One statistic California can't deny is that they now have the highest poverty rate in the U.S.

https://www.city-journal.org/html/ca...ism-16002.html
Heidigsd likes this.
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 05:52 AM

Lets not turn this into a global warming debate. Avoid that rabbit trail and please stick with the idea that bugs might be a decent meal.

In the meantime I think snails are a lovely carrier for butter and garlic. I've yet to eat a bug on purpose. If it is much cheaper to add bug protein I can see someone making that push.
Nigel and JessicaR like this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
So taking the whole climate thing away cattle destroy land at an alarming rate. At least in the quantities that we are producing them. Keep in mind that domestic cattle are a human invention, just like dogs. There have never been wild Holsteins running around any more then there were wild poodles.
Also understand that with our "evolved" culture we waste far more then we consume. Yes leather is still used, but not in the quantities we slaughter cattle at. We also do not use much of the bone, tendon or organs. Keep in mind also that by some estimates as much as 60% of the food produced in the US is wasted. In Alberta, Canada were I was living there are fields of cattle that will never get sold. Why? Multiple reasons relating to age and market prices.
Which takes me full circle to the cattle destroying the land. Because they do not migrate like wild animals they walk on the same land year round, which destroys grassland and waterways, disrupts marsh land, interferes with the natural travel of other species and pollutes the ground. Understand that commercial herds number in the thousands commonly, which also plays into the spread of disease. Then we have the impact of transporting and processing.

I need to be really clear, a family raising a few stock for food is a much different impact then the commercial farms of today.

Bring on the grubs!
Haha, I live in a ranching community. Cattle properly managed do not destroy the landscape and actually help it. Ranchers just make good scapegoats. MT is a large ranching state but the emissions we produce don't even rank on the scale of larger heavily populated states. But if cattle were so horrible we be much higher on the list. And people are just picky eaters when it comes to meat. Lots of good meat will go into other products such as dog food because we don't like the taste of say an old cow vs. a young cow. Personally I don't care but that's not the majority.

That said I don't see anything wrong with feeding our dogs insects as long as it was a properly formatted diet with the correct insects. For example grasshoppers are high in protein but they aren't very digestible so you'd want to avoid issues like that. Where the product should be nutritionally good based on the numbers and analyzing it, but most of it ends up not actually digestible for the animals. I could also see it being extremely beneficial to animals with severe allergies which is becoming far too common. My friend has a dog that is allergic to nearly every meat protein including fish. Ideally people would stop breeding their allergic animals but maybe this could be a good option for the animals with it.
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 08:59 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazel View Post
Haha, I live in a ranching community. Cattle properly managed do not destroy the landscape and actually help it. Ranchers just make good scapegoats. MT is a large ranching state but the emissions we produce don't even rank on the scale of larger heavily populated states. But if cattle were so horrible we be much higher on the list. And people are just picky eaters when it comes to meat. Lots of good meat will go into other products such as dog food because we don't like the taste of say an old cow vs. a young cow. Personally I don't care but that's not the majority.

That said I don't see anything wrong with feeding our dogs insects as long as it was a properly formatted diet with the correct insects. For example grasshoppers are high in protein but they aren't very digestible so you'd want to avoid issues like that. Where the product should be nutritionally good based on the numbers and analyzing it, but most of it ends up not actually digestible for the animals. I could also see it being extremely beneficial to animals with severe allergies which is becoming far too common. My friend has a dog that is allergic to nearly every meat protein including fish. Ideally people would stop breeding their allergic animals but maybe this could be a good option for the animals with it.

I lived in MT for a few years and I am well aware of the attitudes of the ranchers there. I am also aware that they believe what they say, which makes argument impossible. Wildlife biologists would vehemently disagree. And it was the ranchers in MT who argued that fewer then 20 wolves were taking out thousands of cattle every year. The simple fact is that commercial herds are not managed, they are simply allowed to graze. This is evidenced by the fact that the ranchers at public meetings swore they lost no numbers to disease or natural causes.

I grew up with cattle. A small mixed herd. About 40 cow/calf pairs. I know how easy calves fall to something as simple as scours when not attended. Ours were. A thousand head in a vast free range pasture are not. Since we rotated pasture, I am also aware off the damage caused by even a few cattle to a creek bed or a natural runoff path and I have seen first hand the contamination caused to ground water. It is the ranchers who are responsible largely for the extermination of predators which creates a ripple effect through the entire system. They also run off or kill prey animals who would compete with cattle for grazing.
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 09:22 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyNibbler View Post

I live in California, where they want to control everything and those in power want to believe they are world leaders in the global warming front. You might find the link below to a study by Chapman University interesting. For all the control, restrictions, taxes, fees, surcharges, etc., that California imposes on their residents, other states surpass California in reducing per-capita emissions. One statistic California can't deny is that they now have the highest poverty rate in the U.S.

https://www.city-journal.org/html/ca...ism-16002.html
Me too, and maybe in spite of us:
https://www.investors.com/politics/e...dia-ignore-it/

Even with our schools.

Quote:
And people are just picky eaters when it comes to meat.
Maybe thats why Canada exports so much. Like 3/4s of the planet I don't have my own ranch, so I'm thankful they step up and we get to eat.

Red meat trade balance reports - Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC)

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page