Insect Diet for Dogs - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 55Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Bugs have had their reign back in the Carboniferous/Permian periods, letís not open that door. Keep them small and sqaushable please
I'd like to make a veeeeeeery nerdy Starship Troopers joke right now, but I'll control myself.

I read an article about 'Cricket Flour' that was fascinating, if I can find it again I'll post it. It pointed out that insects don't carry the risks of accumulated heavy metals, toxins, etc. that animals higher up on the food chain do. Example - mercury in carnivorous fish, and so on... Would still have to be wary of pesticide residue. Interesting.
Cassidy's Mom and Sabis mom like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 04:43 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Oh my, you better have Benedryl ready. That is a major reaction and can get worse with the next sting. Deja hunts for them, eats them without ever having being stung. She gets mad at them when she is eating raw in the summer and just adds them to her meal. I don't get it.
Yes! When she had the initial contact only her eye swelled up, but the quickest vet appt available was in 3 hours, and by then her muzzle was swelling a bit too. Vet gave her a shot of benadryl, then had her take 75 ml every 8 hours for a couple more days...I never did find the bees, but I'm hoping the discomfort taught her to leave them be!
Sabis mom likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 05:05 PM
Elite Member

Thanks for posting! Very interesting article. I think it is fascinating and extremely exciting to see products like these hitting the markets! Not just in terms of environmental sustainability but also as another option for those who have dogs riddled with sensitivities and allergies. Talk about a novel protein. LOL

They have done studies on insect protein for dogs. Looks like the digestibility and crude protein is on par with fish and chicken meal.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4473158/

For those of us who do believe in the science behind climate change, there are things we can do to lessen our dog's carbon foot print.

As far as common commercially available meat goes, the general flow of sustainability from most to least is:

Chicken>Turkey>Farmed Fish>Pork>Beef>Lamb (wild caught fish varies wildly dependent on the species and the area it is caught. Check out Montery Bay Aquarium's seafoodwatch.org for best choices if you feed your dog seafood)

Feed your dogs what it does best on from lowest down the list you can.

Another thing to consider is the rise of using invasive species in pet food. Wild Boar is an invasive species in the US that finds its way into the petfood chin fairly regularly. It's been a while since I contacted the manufacturer but a few years ago Sojos was sourcing its wild boar for its food and treats from trapped/hunted board from the Southern US. Marsh dog makes treats out of invasive nutria. BareItAll is currently offering treats for both dog and cats made from invasive asian carp. The University of Maine has been researching the use of invasive green crab in pet foods, but there is nothing on the market yet. Hopefully within the next few years.

Buy these products and show demand for environmentally friendly options. More will follow suit.
Jax08, Aly, WIBackpacker and 2 others like this.

Do the things!

Last edited by voodoolamb; 01-10-2019 at 05:09 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 05:12 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
So what happens when agribusiness gets on board and starts researching for ways to make bugs bigger faster? Bugs have had their reign back in the Carboniferous/Permian periods, letís not open that door. Keep them small and sqaushable please
No giant bugs please.
I have a long standing agreement with the spider mafia. We maintain our own turf. I am not sure other bugs would honor similar agreements, especially if they are big.
Jax08 and Aly like this.
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 05:32 PM

Green crab dog food is a novel idea, interesting. There was a radio program on harvesting invasive green crabs for soft shell crab, but how hard has been to figure out which ones are about to molt. Fishers know how spot the pre-molters in Italy, but not off the New England coast.

I'm all for using invasive species in dog food.
Sabis mom and voodoolamb like this.
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 05:56 PM
Crowned Member

My rescue was abandoned in a wilderness area as a puppy and based on her behavior since then, probably survived by eating bugs. She still digs them up, and tries to eat them years later. There may not be any correlation but of all the dogs I’ve owned, she has had the most unusual illnesses. At around age 2 she had a strange growth removed. A few years later she got a rare cancer and was treated succcessfully. Now she has ulcers. Dogs aren’t meant to eat bugs, they are carnivores. If people want to eat bugs, go ahead. If you want to feed them to your dogs as an experiment, they are your dogs. But please don’t tell me I have to eat bugs or feed them to my dogs.
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 07:16 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
Dogs arenít meant to eat bugs, they are carnivores.
well... insects aren't plants.

Just about every wild species of canid have been documented eating bugs. Some of the smaller fox species are predominantly insectivores. The medium sized dholes and coyotes also frequently eat bugs. Even dingos, domestic dog's closest relative, eat insects on the regular. So I don't understand the whole "not meant to eat" thing.

We aren't talking about dumping a pile of maggots in your dog's dish. We are talking about a refined product, in a processed and supplemented kibble. A product that according to nutritional science, is nutritionally equivalent to fish meal and poultry meal. Which isn't really surprising considering that insects are pretty closely related to things that are commonly consumed in the western world like shrimp and crabs.

I get it. There is an "ick factor" with the idea of eating bugs or feeding them to our dogs. No one is saying you have to feed it to your dog - but there is no sense in fear mongering a viable protein source. There is nothing inherent about insects that would cause chronic disease. The culprits there would more likely be genetics or periods of malnutrition in general.

Do the things!
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 07:25 PM
Crowned Member

No, they arenít plants. Would you eat bugs? I donít care how they are prepared, the ick factor as you call it is too high. Sort of like eating snails.
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 07:35 PM
Crowned Member

post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 07:39 PM
Crowned Member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page