German Shepherd Eating Habits - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

German Shepherd Eating Habits

How much do you feed your German Shepherd a day?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 12:12 PM
Master Member

Mine is unneutered 88lb, eats 4 cups a day
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 12:23 PM
Crowned Member

How much to feed does depends not only on the size, age, and activity level of the dog or pup but also the type of food and the feeding directions on the package. That being said, Baron is 17 months, neutered, 54 lbs. and eats daily total of 3 cups fed as follows: kibble Solid Gold Barking At the Moon 2.25 cups and as a topping the canned Solid Gold Howling at the Stars .75 cup. He is fed 3 times a day so gets one cup per meal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 12:31 PM
Crowned Member

It's meaningless to ask "how much" without also comparing WHAT FOOD, WHAT SIZE DOG, HOW ACTIVE and HOW OLD (and maybe even whether it's speutered or intact). There's no standard amount to feed dogs of this breed -- and foods aren't even standardized in the amount of calories per cup.

If you feed cheap food, you may have to feed A LOT because it's full of empty fillers. For example, I had a foster dog who was underweight when I got him -- he'd been fed 6 cups a day of Beneful, and it wasn't enough to maintain his weight.

We put him on Diamond Naturals/Kirkland Chicken and Rice (a more nutrient dense food), and he gained needed weight on just 3.5 c. per day.

Ultimately, a cheap filler-filled food can end up costing more than you think because you have to feed twice as much of it vs. a higher quality food!

On Fromm Four Star, my dogs need between 2.25-4 c. per day depending on the size and age of the dog (older dogs maintain on slightly less than younger dogs). The one getting 4 c. per day is a foster dog who is 88 pounds of young, happy energy. The one getting 2.25 is a neutered, senior male that's only around 57 pounds, and he sleeps a lot due to his age. Even within the Four Star line, though, we have to account for calorie differences between the various "flavors" -- the lower cal options may require us to give about slightly more than the higher cal options.

So...what are you feeding, how old is your dog, how big is your dog, how active is your dog, and what body-condition is it in? All those inputs have to be considered, and even with them, dogs simply have varying metabolic rates and thus varying food needs. Ultimately, we have to feed the dog in front of us based on its individual needs.
car2ner and Malibu like this.

Last edited by Magwart; 12-06-2018 at 12:36 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 12:53 PM

I'm feeding 14 week old my pup, Purina Pro Plan SPORT Performance 30/20 Formula GRAIN FREE

https://www.amazon.com/Purina-Pro-Pl.../dp/B071V81C2G

Is this good food for a german shepard? Can I continue to use this food?

--IeeTeY
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 01:57 AM

Have a 3yr old German Shepherd. She is about 75lbs. We feed her 4 cups per day of Authority Grain Free Large Bree’s dog food (https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-f...free-dog-food/). It has 4/5 stars and thought it was a good quality dog food for the price.

Does anybody rotate dog food to give them more of a variety or just feed them same food?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 06:39 AM

It is hard to say. My gal-dog, once spayed is fed less than when she was intact. My big boy gets a cup more than my gal does. Not only do I feed a decent kibble but they get a wedge of apple and a boiled egg each morning. There are high quality training treats during the day which can vary...some days are toy reward days and they get less treats. I add a little variety by adding a couple of spoonfuls of canned food to their evening portion of kibble. Then there is the evening bully stick or carrot, a few fish oil chews and a bit of frozen peanut butter in a Kong bone. The important thing is to watch their weight, their activity level, the weather (my big boy eats less when it is hot and sticky outdoors ).

The kibble I feed is Beaverdam with the blue label. The canned food is sometimes 4 Health from Tractor Supply and sometimes the Berkley / Jenson Holistic brand from BJs and sometimes a half a tin of sardines.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Castillo View Post
I'm feeding 14 week old my pup, Purina Pro Plan SPORT Performance 30/20 Formula GRAIN FREE

https://www.amazon.com/Purina-Pro-Pl.../dp/B071V81C2G

Is this good food for a german shepard? Can I continue to use this food?
MUCH better foods out there....
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD316 View Post
Have a 3yr old German Shepherd. She is about 75lbs. We feed her 4 cups per day of Authority Grain Free Large Bree’s dog food (https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-f...free-dog-food/). It has 4/5 stars and thought it was a good quality dog food for the price.

Does anybody rotate dog food to give them more of a variety or just feed them same food?
Always a good idea to offer variety.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 12:14 PM

Calorie count varies between foods so amounts would vary. For example many cheap kibbles have a little over 300 calories per cup whereas many high quality kibbles are closer to 500 calories per cup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page