Questions about joint supplements. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Magwart

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Questions about joint supplements.

I'm currently feeding my 3y/o GSD Victor kibble, with intermittent supplemental RMBs (my older dog is on full DIY raw, I just don't have freezer space for both of them). We stay quite active - the bulk of our training right now is mushing. In the interest of hopefully helping to prevent premature joint issues, I am looking for information and/or recommendations on joint supplements.

I have read varied accounts on the efficacy of glucosamine/chondroitin supplements, so am especially interested in any research you can point me to.

We do feed the occasional beef trachea(dried) here and there, and sometimes duck or chicken feet (also dried), but something more regular would put my mind more at ease.

If it's a bit of a crapshoot, I guess I'd like to know that, too!

TIA!
Attached Images

- Kayla

Dover von Ziegeln Zage (GSD, 3 yrs)
Dutchess Lena of Black Lake RATI (Keeshond, 12 yrs)

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 11:46 PM
Crowned Member

I've posted links to the GAIT trial many times here. It's the highest quality, long-term, well-designed study out there. There's also a slightly newer LEGS trial.

Start with Skeptvet's page, which has a collection of articles summarizing the research with links to the studies:
glucosamine | Search Results | The SkeptVet

See also: https://nccih.nih.gov/research/results/gait

The bottom line is that the glucosamine/chondroitin OTC supplements you might buy at Walmart or Target or even Whole Foods or a healthfood store probably aren't doing much. There are some proprietary formulations of a patented form that may work better (e.g., Dasuquin). But there are a lot of other supplements out there that I'd look at instead (natural eggshell membrane, MSM, hyaluronic acid/Collagen II, turmeric, green mussel, etc.).

Instead of "various accounts," try to focus on what the research is saying. A lot of money has been spent trying to find a reason to justify a multi-billion supplement industry. There is a documented owner placebo effect -- nobody wants to believe themselves capable of that, but we all are.

With young, healthy dogs, just keep feeding the dog things that have natural sources of glucosamine/chondroitin, like beef tracheas and such. You'll add it in a form that the body recognizes as food, so maybe you'll have a better chance of getting something useful out of it. At the very least then the dog will get something yummy to enjoy.
Mesonoxian and car2ner like this.

Last edited by Magwart; 12-03-2018 at 11:50 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 06:50 AM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
I've posted links to the GAIT trial many times here. It's the highest quality, long-term, well-designed study out there. There's also a slightly newer LEGS trial.

With young, healthy dogs, just keep feeding the dog things that have natural sources of glucosamine/chondroitin, like beef tracheas and such. You'll add it in a form that the body recognizes as food, so maybe you'll have a better chance of getting something useful out of it. At the very least then the dog will get something yummy to enjoy.
Thank you for the reply, this is immensely helpful!

- Kayla

Dover von Ziegeln Zage (GSD, 3 yrs)
Dutchess Lena of Black Lake RATI (Keeshond, 12 yrs)

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page