Dog food again - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Dog food again

My dogs are on Fromm. One seems to have a chicken allergy so we avoid chicken. He has developed what looks like yeast spots. I’m adding coconut oil and goat milk kefir to his diet, but the Fromm 4 star recipes he’s on have either sweet potatoes or white potatoes. I’ve read extensively on yeast and decided I need a food without potatoes or peas, corn or sweet potatoes. Fromm grain free relies on pea protein. I have a list of suggested foods that contain low glycemic (low sugar) carbs, since food sugar promotes yeast growth. I don’t know much about any of these companies and I’m open to all discussion. I don’t want LID and I prefer a food with taurine. A lot of these sites don’t contain ingredients lists which makes it harder to evaluate.

Precise Holostic or Naturals
Nutrisource grain free
Acana Heritage, Regionals or singles
Ziwipeak
Orijen
Zignature
Horizon Pet Pulsar, Amicus or Legacy
Fromm Gold (all contain chicken)
Wysong
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 01:08 PM
Crowned Member

My dogs have done really well on Acana, I have only tried Acana Regional formulas which have green peas and / or lentils. I have not had trouble finding their ingredients online. If they aren’t on the websites of these foods, trying googling “brand formula ingredients”.

I’ve been interested in ZiwiPeak, but it isn’t affordable for me.... strongly considering a switch back to raw for at least one of my dogs.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 01:25 PM
Crowned Member

The claim that dietary sugar in canine diets promotes yeast infections is constantly repeated on the Internet, but it's wrong -- please read this vet-authored article:

https://www.petmd.com/blogs/thedaily...ons-pets-33218

Setting that carb/yeast stuff aside:

If you're serious about low-carb, you cannot feed kibble! ALL kibble is carb based -- you cannot extrude kibble out of the machines they use to make it without about 40% carbs. They need them in there to bind the "dough" that they shoot through the machine.

Also, you should be looking at Dr. Harvey's Paradigm base-mix if you really want a low-carb kiet. It's based on ketogenic principles (inspired by the KetoPet sanctuary's work with cancer dogs). It's VERY expensive, but it feeds out well:
https://www.drharveys.com/products/d...erfood-pre-mix

From your list, if you can afford Ziwipeak air-dried food, it's in a league of its own -- radically different than any kibble option. You might also look at ONP's MaxMeat as a cheaper alternative to Ziwi air-dried -- I think Ziwi's quality is a step above ONP's, but ONP's is significantly less expensive (and still an air-dried jerky food):
https://www.onlynaturalpet.com/produ...od/999276.aspx

If you're in that price range, The Honest Kitchen and its competitors (Sojo's, etc.) are also options. They have a lot of carbs though.

I think Victor also has a beef-based food that might be worth looking at, at MUCH lower cost (but it does have chicken FAT as an ingredient -- whether that will set off the allergy depends on the dog).
https://victorpetfood.com/products/b...n-rice-formula

Orijen and Acana have a lot of peas, for what they charge for that food! Check this out:
Is Change in Pet Food a Good Thing? ? Truth about Pet Food

Most Wysong foods are chicken-based. Wysong's Anergen might be a candidate, as it has lamb instead of chicken: https://www.wysong.net/anergen (it does have sweet potatoes, but no legumes, and it also has added taurine).

I fed Wysong's kibbles rotationally in the early 00's, back when there were relatively few high-end options. It fed out OK, but my dogs disliked some of the flavors (they hated Synorgon in particular). I would buy one small bag (or ask for a sample) before buying a lot of it, to see if your dog likes it. Back then Dr. Wysong was also advocating for corn and soy as ingredients, but I don't know if he still is. His food fell out of fashion because of it, I think. He also got cross-wise with Whole Dog Journal in a public fight when they fussed about him using "plasma" as an ingredient in canned food instead of water, even though it was more nutritious than water. I REALLY liked Wysong's packaging (I recall when buying 40#, it came in a case of 4 x 10 pound mylar bags, so the food stayed fresher than in a big, open bag).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

@Magwart Thank you!
“Your pet does not have a skin yeast infection due to carbohydrates in its diet. Your pet more likely has allergies or other immune disorder problems that allow abnormal fungal overgrowth. The key is finding the combination of food or medical intervention that promotes health and well-being, whether the food contains grains or not.”

Then I need to find the answer to that: How to find the right combination.

I don’t want to change food but I thought that was my only option.

Once I started looking at ingredients, I ruled out most of these. So I’m back to my original problem, which is red and black yeasty looking spots on his stomach. Aloe seems to work a little.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 01:55 PM

From your list, if you can afford Ziwipeak air-dried food, it's in a league of its own -- radically different than any kibble option. You might also look at ONP's MaxMeat as a cheaper alternative to Ziwi air-dried -- I think Ziwi's quality is a step above ONP's, but ONP's is significantly less expensive (and still an air-dried jerky food):
https://www.onlynaturalpet.com/produ...od/999276.aspx

You could be playing a long game such as I am. I did learn something important here and that is when you make a change stick with it for a couple months. Best not to do too much at once cuz you may not be able to figure what is doing what. I agree with above ... ziwipeak,,,, league of it's own $$$

You may have to offer an LID and I will add a couple names to your list and that is INSTINCT..it has taurine, How much is needed I don't know. Another would be Zignature. I actually decided to offer my own taurine by feeding a day of raw. Hearts for taurine and chicken feet 2-3 times per week for glucosamine & chondroitin, along with chicken / turkey necks once a week for clean teeth.

I learned all this here and things are going pretty good.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 02:19 PM
Crowned Member

Has a vet put eyes on those spots or done a skin scrape to see what they area? If it's something like staph (or even mites), new food isn't going to help. Often staph and yeast go hand-in-hand. If it's a food allergy, different food could help. Have you tried spraying it with Vetricyn?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Yes, we saw the vet a few months ago. It was much worse. Antibiotics worked but he can’t be on them all the time. He is on Bravecto for allergies and mites. It’s just three small spots on his groin. I have another brand of spray but he doesn’t like sprays. Only something I can massage in with my hand.

Last edited by LuvShepherds; 11-30-2018 at 02:47 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 03:25 PM
Crowned Member

Spray it on your hand and wipe it on him. I literally used that stuff on my own face this week using that technique of spraying my finger and dabbing the liquid on my skin (to get rid of a pimple--it was totally gone the next day).

I would also get him on weekly chlorhexadine shampoo baths -- if the abx worked, there's something bacterial going on, and you can probably knock it out topically.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I will try that. He loves being massaged. I have that shampoo mixed with ketoconozole. How do I prevent it from coming back though? I’m still just treating the symptom, not the cause. His fur looks great, it’s just those few spots on each side of his groin.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 04:29 PM
The Friendly Neighborhood Witch Mod

Did they send out for a culture and sensitivity when they did the skin scrape? I ask because if they gave an antibiotic that the bacteria is resistant to, it will keep coming back. Iíd bet itís another bacterial infection, not yeast. Save yourself the guessing game and ask them to send out for a culture and sensitivity test. That way youíll know exactly what youíre dealing with, and youíll be given the right medication to knock it out. Iíd talk about doing 4 weeks of whatever antibiotic the bacteria responds to, as well. 2 weeks often isnít enough time to knock out skin infections. No sense switching food if food is not the issue. Good luck!

Train the dog in front of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page