Italian Dog Food - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Italian Dog Food

I have two German shepherds one is going to be 2 years old on the 27th and the only proteins I've found that doesn't bother her tummy are Boar and Bison (I've been told she would probably tolerate Venison if she's good with Bison)
My 13 week old male Kimber so far is good with chicken so I'm assuming he will be good with any other protein.
My soon to be husband is getting stationed over in Italy this January and I'll be going sometime within 2019. My question is what kind of food options do they have over in Italy? We will likely be on Aviano Air Base s.o. is however Army so we could end up in Vicenza.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 09:41 AM
Elite Member

Love the new pup's name Someone asked this once in one of the raw feeding groups on FB. and they got a lot of good answers that involved raw AND kibble choices. I would try there if you do not get an answer here. There were co ops that were listed, etc. Good luck

Valor 6/3/17

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Thank you a bunch I appreciate the compliment on the name and the suggestion.
Haha guess you know it is after the gun manufacturer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometDog View Post
Love the new pup's name [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] Someone asked this once in one of the raw feeding groups on FB. and they got a lot of good answers that involved raw AND kibble choices. I would try there if you do not get an answer here. There were co ops that were listed, etc. Good luck
I appreciate the compliment Haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 10:12 AM

Farmina.. only one I know.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 10:55 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi GSD View Post
Thank you a bunch I appreciate the compliment on the name and the suggestion.
Haha guess you know it is after the gun manufacturer.

I appreciate the compliment Haha
Yes. My dog is Valor (Dan Wesson Valor) and my other dog who is now my BF's dog..Ruger.

Valor 6/3/17

- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 11:47 AM
Crowned Member

Most Farmina foods are based on chicken or lamb. They have one food that's venison-based:
https://www.farmina.com/us/dog-food/...t-venison.html

However, there are no bison/beef options from them.

You might have to look at an RX allergy food made from hydrolyzed protein. It's processed so that the protein molecules in it don't trigger food allergies. Royal Canin makes one that should be easy to get in Europe (Royal Canine Hypoallergenic) but it costs about US$50 for a very small bag, so you may find home cooking or raw is not more expensive than feeding that, and you'll likely bet far better ingredients into the dog.

Many dogs that can handle Bison can also handle Beef, which would be a lot easier/cheaper to get in Europe than Bison. Boar is available in Europe to some extent, but it's not supposed to be eaten -- at least in Northern and Central Europe, it's still contaminated with radiation from Chernobyl's fallout after all these years. Apparently, they're eating forest mushrooms and such that are still sucking up the radiation in the soil. I would be VERY cautious about sourcing boar in Europe for that reason -- or using dog food with boar!

Since you've tried a massive amount of proteins in KIBBLE, I think you might want to consider whether KIBBLE is actually the problem, not all those different proteins. I have an allergy dog who can eat raw beef just fine -- along with many vegetables, including sweet potatoes. But if he eats a limited ingredient kibble with beef and sweet potatoes, he's back to having bloody diarrhea. We figured out during our year of food misery that it was something in kibble that was the difference -- we don't know if it's a binder, a product of high heat processing, or something else, but he's not the only dog I know that has the issue. The owner of a local natural pet supply store has a Great Dane with the same issue -- she has access to ANY kibble under the sun, but after lots of trial and error, she had to put him on a natural diet to save his life.

We transitioned to raw using a base mix (the Honest Kitchen's Preference) which was absolutely FANTASTIC at soothing his GI system. When you add meat to it, it creates a complete, balanced meal. (It has more peas than I'd like, so I'd consider supplementing with taurine until the FDA figures out what's going on with that ingredient.) Adding 6-hour bovine colostrum (a human supplement available at health stores or online) and a probiotic would also be a good idea for a dog with an angry GI system from food allergies.

Another beef option to try would be Ziwi Peak's dehydrated food, out of New Zealand. It's expensive, but it's convenient, high quality, and minimally processed.
ausdland likes this.

Last edited by Magwart; 11-26-2018 at 11:52 AM.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 12:01 PM

Try Zignature.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

I don't think it is a kibble issue because she does fine on those proteins on ANY brand.
I guess it could be but I doubt it seeing as she has perfect poops as long as it is red meat I guess. Doesn't do as good on Lamb, but I'm not sure I've tried a limited ingredient beef yet, so that'll be something to look into when I get over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Most Farmina foods are based on chicken or lamb. They have one food that's venison-based:
https://www.farmina.com/us/dog-food/...t-venison.html

However, there are no bison/beef options from them.

You might have to look at an RX allergy food made from hydrolyzed protein. It's processed so that the protein molecules in it don't trigger food allergies. Royal Canin makes one that should be easy to get in Europe (Royal Canine Hypoallergenic) but it costs about US$50 for a very small bag, so you may find home cooking or raw is not more expensive than feeding that, and you'll likely bet far better ingredients into the dog.

Many dogs that can handle Bison can also handle Beef, which would be a lot easier/cheaper to get in Europe than Bison. Boar is available in Europe to some extent, but it's not supposed to be eaten -- at least in Northern and Central Europe, it's still contaminated with radiation from Chernobyl's fallout after all these years. Apparently, they're eating forest mushrooms and such that are still sucking up the radiation in the soil. I would be VERY cautious about sourcing boar in Europe for that reason -- or using dog food with boar!

Since you've tried a massive amount of proteins in KIBBLE, I think you might want to consider whether KIBBLE is actually the problem, not all those different proteins. I have an allergy dog who can eat raw beef just fine -- along with many vegetables, including sweet potatoes. But if he eats a limited ingredient kibble with beef and sweet potatoes, he's back to having bloody diarrhea. We figured out during our year of food misery that it was something in kibble that was the difference -- we don't know if it's a binder, a product of high heat processing, or something else, but he's not the only dog I know that has the issue. The owner of a local natural pet supply store has a Great Dane with the same issue -- she has access to ANY kibble under the sun, but after lots of trial and error, she had to put him on a natural diet to save his life.

We transitioned to raw using a base mix (the Honest Kitchen's Preference) which was absolutely FANTASTIC at soothing his GI system. When you add meat to it, it creates a complete, balanced meal. (It has more peas than I'd like, so I'd consider supplementing with taurine until the FDA figures out what's going on with that ingredient.) Adding 6-hour bovine colostrum (a human supplement available at health stores or online) and a probiotic would also be a good idea for a dog with an angry GI system from food allergies.

Another beef option to try would be Ziwi Peak's dehydrated food, out of New Zealand. It's expensive, but it's convenient, high quality, and minimally processed.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

I will definitely look into that. I am familiar with the brand, but wasn't sure I'd have access overseas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu View Post
Try Zignature.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 01:49 PM

I have been feeding Zignature for a couple of months now. Lots of choices of proteins ... I hope you can find it.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page