Supplements for hip and joint - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By carmspack

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

Supplements for hip and joint

Hello everyone . Does anybody know any good supplement that I can find in Europe as well? So far I’m not happy with what I found. It’s really hard to find good quality supplements in Greece they are not that popular . Most of them if not all are not grain free and they have all this extra ingredient that I really don’t want and I don’t think it’s necessarily. So if anyone knows or uses something and they are happy please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 09:16 AM

Are you looking for glucosamine and chondroitin ? cbd oil..... chicken & turkey feet are full of glucosamine & chondroitin .

How old is your dog and what are the issues...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu View Post
Are you looking for glucosamine and chondroitin ? cbd oil..... chicken & turkey feet are full of glucosamine & chondroitin .

How old is your dog and what are the issues...
yes glucosamine and chondroitin he’s 22 months old. They x-ray showed that the back legs have some issues but he’s not in pain so i basically want just to keep him healthy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 11:32 AM
Crowned Member

Have you reviewed the studies on the frequent failure of glucosamine/chondroitin to do anything to help arthritis, at least in the common form sold by most manufacturers? We've discussed that research here many times, so I won't rehash it -- just know that the research probably doesn't support the effort you're putting into finding these supplements.

Google the GAIT study on glucosamine, and you'll find some good, long-term research -- there wasn't much in there to be excited about for glucosamine users. It was mostly a dud. The European study that saw some benefit that you may see touted by some manufacturers used a different form than the common over the counter form available to you. Similarly, a manufacturer-funded study by the maker of Dasuquin found a benefit in their patented form -- but it's a different low-molecular form than the one sold in most supplements.

Instead, with such a young dog, I would "supplement" with whole food sources -- like beef trachea, which contains them in a form the dog's body will recognize as "food." The dried trachea tubes are excellent chews.

If he has hip dysplasia but is not yet symptomatic, I would try to find out if Adequan is available in Europe. It's benefits are real, but expensive: it delays the onset of arthritis by keeping joints lubricated and preventing the degeneration of cartilage. It's an injection, prescribed by veterinarians -- it was developed for horses but is now widely used in dogs in the U.S.

Last edited by Magwart; 11-24-2018 at 11:41 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Have you reviewed the studies on the frequent failure of glucosamine/chondroitin to do anything to help arthritis, at least in the common form sold by most manufacturers? We've discussed that research here many times, so I won't rehash it -- just know that the research probably doesn't support the effort you're putting into finding these supplements.

Google the GAIT study on glucosamine, and you'll find some good, long-term research -- there wasn't much in there to be excited about for glucosamine users. It was mostly a dud. The European study that saw some benefit that you may see touted by some manufacturers used a different form than the common over the counter form available to you. Similarly, a manufacturer-funded study by the maker of Dasuquin found a benefit in their patented form -- but it's a different low-molecular form than the one sold in most supplements.

Instead, with such a young dog, I would "supplement" with whole food sources -- like beef trachea, which contains them in a form the dog's body will recognize as "food." The dried trachea tubes are excellent chews.

If he has hip dysplasia but is not yet symptomatic, I would try to find out if Adequan is available in Europe. It's benefits are real, but expensive: it delays the onset of arthritis by keeping joints lubricated and preventing the degeneration of cartilage. It's an injection, prescribed by veterinarians -- it was developed for horses but is now widely used in dogs in the U.S.
So sorry couldn’t find the topic. I will look into the advise you gave me which is great thank you. Another thing because I have heard it before with chicken legs and other foods how often do you feed them? Is like a nightmare to me because I’m a vegetarian and it’s extremely hard for me to even look at it but if it’s best for my pup I’ll put on a brave face and feed him The legs : /
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 04:03 PM

Ohhh my thats not gonna be good is it... 2-3 feetsies a few times per week. Find a good supplement.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 05:23 PM
Crowned Member

but a dog is not a hip an not a joint -- but one entire body , where all parts matter very very much.

throwing chondroitin and glucosamine at the dog hoping for these to get in there and fix a target
is not effective.

you are in Greece ?

use WHOLE food .

take down total body invlammation.
Ensuure optimum digestivon so that you don't have leaky gut or other invlammation
promoting conditions

use that probiotic rich "greek" yogurt or clabbered milk

use fish oil or feed fatty oily fish - fresh !

get gristly bone with condoyles and keels and make your own broth - the
best -- full of amino acids which add to the benefits

not difficult -- ehe whole body benefits --- an ounce of prevention is
worth a pound of cure
car2ner likes this.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 05:57 PM
Crowned Member

another way to help yourself--

I have something which has apple peel powder as an ingredient .

the apple peel is rich in anti oxidants, phenols , quercetin mand anti oxidants .

this decreases pain , improves range of motion -

some varieties are higher in active ingredients

you could dehydrate organic apple peel - the peel acturally being the best part
of the apple , and then grind in a cooffee grinder or blender and store in jars -
add to food

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone after the research I’ve done I decided to make my own broth with chicken feed and turmeric. I’m sure he’s going to love it and hopefully it’s as healthy and helpful for him as it says!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page