How much should he be eating? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By sebrench

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

How much should he be eating?

Hi Everyone,

So Duke my 18mth gsd x husky only eats about 2-3 cups of dry food a day and drinks alot of water. He also has 1 sachet of wet food in the morning. He as adult working dog kibble. I was wondering if this is enough? He just doesn't seem to have a massive appetite which i find strange because he is quite a large dog and still growing. Do you think i should be offering him more wet food?

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 12:11 PM

The best way to decide on "HOW MUCH FOOD"" is by looking at the dog. can you see ribs? offer more food. When you take him to the vet ask what they think. It's really pretty easy just trust your eyes.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 12:41 PM
Knighted Member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 01:23 PM
Master Member

I love the visual chart! :-)

Hi Ben, I have a gsd/husky mix as well. IF his metabolism inclines towards his husky parent, he will need/want less food than it says on the bag. Husky metabolism is very efficient...bred to be that way...i.e. able to run in front of a sled for miles, eat a frozen chunk of fish, then do it again the next day...pretty amazing.
Also it sounds as though your dog isn't running for miles every day...so he isn't burning a lot of energy. If he is acting healthy and active, I think he should be fine!

I don't know how much water is he drinking, but if you're worried, you could ask vet...he will drink more if he is fed dry kibble only, and if the weather is warm...but if it seems weirdly excessive, I would check his health.

My guy (75 lbs) eats daily: 1.5c. dogfood 2x a day + 1 dental biscuit + approx. 1/2c. training treats

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page