Winter food - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By WIBackpacker
  • 1 Post By WIBackpacker
  • 1 Post By Kyrielle

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Winter food

What's the best thing to feed GSD during the winter? He's an outside dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Whatís your climate like?

The sled dog people I know go heavy on fat percentage, high water content, and have a lot to say about what time of day the dogs are fed in the winter. Thatís in a very cold area, far northern MN/into Canada.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 05:43 PM
Elite Member

Lamb is a heating food in TCM, I think chicken is too.
You can always get some minced beef fat from the butcher and add a teaspoon a day to the meal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 06:49 PM
Crowned Member

If you live in a cold climate, you will need to increase the amount of food too.

Even if a house dog, like mine, the home floor is colder in the winter and makes them burn fat to stay warm.

If you feed raw, you could add some Quinoa (cooked with double the amount water) for a little extra protein and more calories.

Moms
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 06:52 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBackpacker View Post
Whatís your climate like?

The sled dog people I know go heavy on fat percentage, high water content, and have a lot to say about what time of day the dogs are fed in the winter. Thatís in a very cold area, far northern MN/into Canada.
This^^^

Redpaw was developed by sled dog people.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

I love in Ms. So it's not a climate that's always cold. He eats dry dog food. I have Heard they need more fat in the winter. What is an ingredients that has the most fat. Someone said lamb and chicken. Anything else? He seems pretty content outside right now. It's really cold. 30 here and he don't want to stay inside very long.... He's not scratching at the door, barking, crying, nothing. So I'll just leave him alone until he wants in.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 12:28 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley0882 View Post
What's the best thing to feed GSD during the winter? He's an outside dog.
When I kept dogs that were out in the cold a lot, and the boys who spent a Saskatchewan winter in an unheated porch, I upped their food intake a bit but I also added water or bone broth(warmed) to their kibble at night. Moisture/water intake is a concern in colder weather as is heat so they got warm soup. Fish is good for them but today we need to be mindful of sourcing.

No matter what you feed watch the water intake, without sufficient moisture mammals cannot efficiently process their food.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 12:45 PM
Administrator

When you look at the label on the bag, it will list a numeric fat %.

Like Sabiís Mom emphasized, hydration is really important. If I was feeding an outdoor dog dry food through the winter, Iíd float the kibble in warm water and let it soak in before feeding. I donít keep my dogs outside, but for the animals I *do* have outside during the winter, keeping liquid water available is one of the biggest headaches.

If youíre getting into the 30ís and below, youíll want to make sure you have a way to provide water that doesnít freeze. There are lots of different electric buckets and bowls. Be careful with cords and outlets, and make sure you check frequently to make sure itís working and not popping the breaker. I test the ends of the extension cords that run to the waterers with a small night light before big storms, since it isnít always easy to see thereís a problem until the water is suddenly frozen solid.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
When I kept dogs that were out in the cold a lot, and the boys who spent a Saskatchewan winter in an unheated porch, I upped their food intake a bit but I also added water or bone broth(warmed) to their kibble at night. Moisture/water intake is a concern in colder weather as is heat so they got warm soup. Fish is good for them but today we need to be mindful of sourcing.

No matter what you feed watch the water intake, without sufficient moisture mammals cannot efficiently process their food.
Doggie stew ftw. Just like people, nothing beats a hot stew when it's cold outside.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 04:46 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley0882 View Post
It's really cold. 30 here and he don't want to stay inside very long.... He's not scratching at the door, barking, crying, nothing.

30 Degrees F here today and my dog is loving life......soooooo much better than those plus 90 degree high humidity days.

The place I get her raw food components from, trucks pallet loads up to AK for sled dog teams....and they certainly ship more fattier cuts during the winter but nothing crazy. I add a bit more beef fat during the coldest part of our winters but I don't even know if that is required since the dog isn't outside all day or night.

In 30 degree weather I'd be more concerned about the dog having appropriate shelter outside to stay dry versus upping it's fat content to any significant degree.

My gauge for when it's too cold outside is when the dog does the paw lift thing or lays down and doesn't want to move.......usually below 0 temps is when that might start.

My guess is a standard stock coat GSD ....and longstock with undercoat....should have no problem at all in 30 degree F for extended periods.

I'm guessing there is a reason why your dog stays outside all the time.......too bad he can't be inside with you for more of his day/night.

SuperG

HŁndin 32CACT, 2334CSAT, 2016 GAA 2.85
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page