Looking for advise/direction on my choices - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Looking for advise/direction on my choices

I have a 5 year old GSD and hopefully a new puppy around Christmas. I at times can go overboard My personality is all or nothing. So I would like to share in detail what I offer my 5year old dog and my puppy once she is around 8-9 months old on a weekly basis. My 5 year old does have some unknown allergies.

1st. product https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 1 every other day or so.

2nd product https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 1/4 tsp daily

3rd product https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 1/4 tsp. daily

4th product https://www.smartpakequine.com/ps/cosequin-asu-5976 1/4 tsp. daily

2,3,&4, Are all mixed together and served 1 time daily.

KIBBLE...1/2 INSTINCT & 1/2 FROMMS Instinct has been fine but the second kibble may change. My reason to do 2 foods..1. protein is pretty high in instinct and adding another food allows me to offer a better change in proteins. I also try to find kibble without all the supplements I have listed above because I have no idea how much extra to give my dogs or if I even need to. I would rather supplement myself.

I will offer a raw egg one day, Sardines the next, packaged tune next, maybe cottage cheese or raw goat milk one day. I also feed twice a day always. Puppy 3 times a day.

I try to offer the best kibble for each specific dog but I have learned so much about the GUTT. This is why I have added additional supplements recently but I need to know if I am off base here or doing too much. Sometimes to much love is not good. PLEASE CRITIQUE..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 03:54 PM
Crowned Member

Unless your pup has a specific issue you're dealing with, I wouldn't do any of this. Just an opinion as I am not an expert.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 04:37 PM

My philosophy is to feed the best quality food source you can, before adding commercial supplements. Personally I don't

feed dry kibble as I really don't know what's in it and I think that could be the source of many allergens.

Look into the raw diet or at least making the base of their diet- human grade meat and bones. allergies will usually go

away.

My last GSD just passed at 16+ years old and was never sick a day in her life, nor ever had an allergy or skin condition,

always on a raw or home cooked meat diet with only vitamin/mineral supplements.

My new 2 yr. old rescue GSD will be raised the same way in hopes of keeping her healthy and long lived.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

YEAH, I did raw for awhile.. Raw or Kibble was not my question though
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 05:12 PM

I was the same exact way for a while, wanting to make sure they hit every category of nutrition and driving myself crazy in the process. I think you are over-complicating it. Why not just find an all inclusive supplement that has enzymes, omegas, vitamins/minerals and probiotics? There is Nupro, Natures Logic makes a food fortifier as well. There are a few out there. The supplements with the toppers you mentioned may be overkill. I would do quality kibble with a topper one day and the supplement the next maybe. Just my opinion. Your dogs are lucky!
Sunsilver likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmags View Post
I was the same exact way for a while, wanting to make sure they hit every category of nutrition and driving myself crazy in the process. I think you are over-complicating it. Why not just find an all inclusive supplement that has enzymes, omegas, vitamins/minerals and probiotics? There is Nupro, Natures Logic makes a food fortifier as well. There are a few out there. The supplements with the toppers you mentioned may be overkill. I would do quality kibble with a topper one day and the supplement the next maybe. Just my opinion. Your dogs are lucky!
Thank you for your opinion/advise. I wish there was such a product that had it all but I don't see it. Maybe I could get this and just add my cosequin to it.https://smile.amazon.com/SUPPLEMENTS...estive+enzymes

Shouldn't our dogs get glucosamine and condroiten say @ the age of 4-5.

My girl has minorish allergies so I am giving her a LID kibble but I am learning that perhaps giving a probiotic may allow me to move away from a LID kibble or at least aid in absorbing her nutrients in her food. Then I though maybe I should help aid in the absorption of nutrients I should add a digestive enzyme. SO HERE I AM... I would feel fine eliminating the digestive enzymes but I was hoping to perhaps hear that on this forum.

I can also add that once a week I will offer a turkey neck or chicken back for clean teeth.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu View Post
Thank you for your opinion/advise. I wish there was such a product that had it all but I don't see it. Maybe I could get this and just add my cosequin to it.https://smile.amazon.com/SUPPLEMENTS...estive+enzymes

Shouldn't our dogs get glucosamine and condroiten say @ the age of 4-5.

My girl has minorish allergies so I am giving her a LID kibble but I am learning that perhaps giving a probiotic may allow me to move away from a LID kibble or at least aid in absorbing her nutrients in her food. Then I though maybe I should help aid in the absorption of nutrients I should add a digestive enzyme. SO HERE I AM... I would feel fine eliminating the digestive enzymes but I was hoping to perhaps hear that on this forum.

I can also add that once a week I will offer a turkey neck or chicken back for clean teeth.
That would be a good plan. For me I do kibble, plus the supplement and a couple pumps of fish oil or sardines if no fish oil. Egg every other day or so. Nupro has enzymes in it. Sometimes I feed a joint supplement or just give them beef trachea which is high in glucosamine and chondroitin.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 11:04 AM
Crowned Member

If you have an allergy dog, all those protein sources are the exact wrong approach. Allergy dogs need elimination diets and ONE source of protein (even in treats and supplements) for 6-8 weeks to work on identifying the allergen. If you cheat with a different protein (a treat, an egg, a supplement containing beef, etc.), you re-start that 8-week clock! The vet derms say that food allergy testing is not accurate, and elimination diets are the gold standard to diagnose them.

Second, mixing kibble brands is a bad idea for any dog, but especially bad for allergy dogs. Each is formulated to be complete and balanced on its own, but mixed together, it's no longer complete and balanced because you're throwing off all the ratios that the manufacturer of each one intended. Pick one. (Fromm uses multiple protein sources, so it's not appropriate for an elimination diet IMHO.) FWIW, when we have food-allergy-suspected dogs in our rescue, we generally go to Wellness Simple Salmon because we've had better results over the years on it with more dogs than with other options -- YMMV.

Prozyme is an excellent, cost-effective product -- I've used it for years in dogs with GI issues, and I've seen it solve flatulence and chronically fussy tummies in a number of kibble-fed dogs. (Are you wetting it to activate it?) I don't know your probiotic, but does it help? Usually having a broad-spectrum probiotic is a sound idea for allergy dogs, as there's research discussed here in the past showing that gut flora and allergies are connected, and better gut flora can sometimes improve allergies. The problem is going to be the strain--there's no good research yet on which strains are best for allergies in dogs, and so it's a guessing game. A lot of canine probiotics have been demonstrated by research to essentially be frauds with no bioactivity at all though...so choose carefully. Can you tell a difference when the dog isn't on it?

Fish oil/EFA supplement is good for most dogs, as it's degraded in kibble. The problem is that there's often no quality control in pet-specific ones, and they may be degraded (worthless) or contaminated with ocean pollution or mercury. I would focus on brand known for products made with very high quality control over the supply chain (like Nordic Naturals), and read the reviews/third party testing results re contaminants. If your manufacturer has no third-party testing reports for pollution and contamination, dump them. (I don't use krill products because I'm trouble by their environmental unsustainability and impacts on Antarctic penguin and whale habits.)

Cosequin is also an excellent product (I use the RX Dasuquin in my arthritic dogs, same company) -- this company has the ONLY patented form of glucosamine/chondroitin supported by any high-quality research (this patented form has shown benefits where the drug-store OTC supplements have not). It's the only commercial form of gluc/chon I would use, given the current state of research. HOWEVER, if your dog has no arthritis, why are you using it? If it has arthritis already or has dysplasia making it likely, I'd be using Adequan instead (RX only). Have you done xrays to see whether a problem is coming?

Lastly, please reconsider buying supplements on Amazon if you have a choice. I know it's convenient, esp. with Prime...but...they've been outed selling counterfeit pet supplements very recently. You're better off with Chewy, Valley Vet, Dr. Fosters & Smith or any other authorized vendor that gets them through legitimate channels and doesn't host third-party sales. NutraMax (who makes Cosequin) has been tracking counterfeit goods purchased through Amazon and issued a consumer alert:
https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...ounterfeit-Pet

Last edited by Magwart; 10-02-2018 at 11:13 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

WOW. excellent information & questions..

I totally understand what you are saying about only 1 kibble. I will stay with INSTINCT since it seems to be working well.

Probiotic, can I tell a difference... pretty much within the 1st week my girl stopped shedding. I mean from crazy always shedding even if brushed 5 days in a row to 90% less shedding. Her poop is minuscule. thats about it so far.

PROZYME, I just added that in the last couple days.

KRILL, I thought it was really good. Thanks for your input I may check Nordic Naturals.. No more Krill

Cosequin, I think people as well as pets reach an age where flu/con, are beneficial. I felt it was a product that would help with aches and pains and perhaps be preventing arthritis or hip and joint pain as we get older.

I shop CHEWY all the time so thats not a problem. Never would have known about amazon so ty.

I VERY much appreciate your time for helping me out. I am always willing to learn other people experiences and opinions.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 01:53 PM
Crowned Member

My vet advised against pump bottles for salmon oil as the oil oxidizes quickly. She recommends capsules (they don't sell them): two a day for a grown GSD. I get them at our local health food store.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page