When to wean from LBP? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Ken Clean-Air System

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

When to wean from LBP?

It has been asked before but just wanted to double check. Griff is 9 months, no Pano since a 2 week-episode at about 5 month of age, is kept lean and fit. Has been on LBP from various brands for his morning meals and raw in the evening. I just opened a 15 lb bag Fromm LBP and was wondering if this could be his last LBP food?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 03:49 PM

IMO he can be taken off of LBP food at this point. At 9mo he wont be doing any rapid growing and he is closing in on a year old. Its personal preference at this point with what you want to keep him on. Any pics of your boy?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 05:15 PM
Master Member

I'd still be careful about Ca and Ph levels until skeletal growth is completed, which is around 18 months, but given acceptable levels and ratio of Ca and Ph, you could have weened off LBP food to an ALS food as soon as he came home.

Omen was on 100% ALS (Orijen Original Formula) by the time he was 16 weeks (as long as it took to finish the bag of Fromm LBP Gold that I had for him). Jazz was on ALS (also Orijen) by the time she was about 6 months. Neither had any growth, or any other issues whatsoever. Omen is currently about 18 months and 82.5 pounds, Jazz is almost 7 years and around 85 pounds ... both are currently on Victor Hi-Pro Plus.
wolfy dog and mmags like this.

Tom
Omen v Wolfstraum
Jasmine Katie v Doolanshaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 02:02 AM

I've just weaned off Fromm LBP at 9.5 months for several reasons. First, my puppy began to develop a food allergy from something and I started looking for other foods of similar quality with different primary ingredients. During the search I came across the information from Fromm that they were switching from duck to chicken. I figured it was as good as time as any and switched to a Victor food with a different protein and the allergy issue was corrected.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 02:41 AM
Master Member

I've seen 3 vets so far (my boy is 14 months atm) 1 of them said take them off of LBP food at 1 year, and the other 2 said at 2 years old when they're (finally almost) done growing. Or ALS would be fine too.

Since 13 months old, my boy has been on ALS food. Not because I wanted off of LBP, but because I was switching brands. IMO, it depends on the dog. My dog is super lean (but not skinny) and it's really hard to keep weight on him. He has zip fast metabolism. Therefore I don't see it'd be a problem for him if I were to keep him on LBP until 2 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page