*Canadian* Kibble - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ken Clean-Air System

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

*Canadian* Kibble

Hi everyone,
Been a long time since I posted here but I'm just looking for some opinions on kibble here in the ol' north. I'm switching my boy's food over to an adult formula (been on LBP till now, he's 11 months old) and I'm trying to find a good one to switch over to that's available in the stores by my house but I'm having some difficulties. First off, he's allergic to chicken as we tried all sorts of foods when he was younger and we finally figured out chicken was the culprit. He's been on a lamb based food and has been doing well, no loose stools! From what I understand, Acana is decent but can cause stool issues for some pups (we tried Acana, didnt work), Blue from what I understand isn't good, and Orijen can also cause some issues because of certain ingredients?

I've been looking at "Go!" but I'm not sure if anyone has any experience with the brand? Any insight at all would be a great help honestly. He's 11 months, about 75 lbs and pretty much perfect body type (can't feel his ribs unless you press a small amount), very active and lean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 05:53 PM
Master Member

Petcurean is the company that makes Go! ... a very good, privately owned company. I've never fed any of their foods, but I wouldn't hesitate to try them if I was looking for a new food. Petcurean also makes other lines besides Go! that are worth looking into.

I've also heard good things about a company called First Mate, I believe forum member Sabis mom may have experience with the brand.

I fed Orijen, which is made by Champion Pet Foods, for years and had no issues with it, both my dogs did very well on it. Acana is also made by Champion, and is very good food with a wide variety of formulas. Champion is an excellent company, but there have been rumors that Purina is looking to buy them out, so if you decide to go with one of their foods, be aware of that and keep an eye out for an acquisition and potential cheapening of the product.

Don't have much other experience with Canadian brands, so hope that helps, and good luck.
Sabis mom likes this.

Tom
Omen v Wolfstraum
Jasmine Katie v Doolanshaus
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 06:24 PM
Crowned Member

I have never used GO! because believe it or not I keep finding dogs with flax issues. Friends have used it and seem happy with it.
Not pleased with Acana at all.
I will continue to recommend First Mate without hesitation. Good food, dogs love it, excellent quality control and customer service. Company is in BC. If you cannot find a retailer contact the company and they will assist. That I know of Global is a national retailer for them and I believe Pet Valu as well.
Another brand that friends have used and recommend is Canadian Naturals. I tried it but it is only sold by Global and that was a potential issue for me.
Horizon is another one I would check out. Again with the flax but it seems to be a good food. Look for Pulsar or Legacy, both are carried by most pet food stores
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 08:27 PM
Crowned Member

I fed Go and my dogs did very well with it. I only switched due to budget constraints earlier this year, very good food imop.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 08:35 PM
Crowned Member

Open Farm is Canadian too.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 03:29 PM

I have been searching food for years and I have tried many. Having a dog with dietary issues will always boil down to what works for you. That being said I will give you a few of my favorite choices.. INSTINCT, CALIFORNIA NATURALS, FROMMS, ZIGNATURE. I also feel Canadian kibble in general is a fantastic choice in kibble
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 11:39 PM
Crowned Member

@Malibu, unless you have a time machine to 2009, you're not going to be able to buy the California Naturals that built Natura's reputation.

California Naturals was sold to Proctor & Gamble in 2010, and then to Mars in 2014. There were reformulations, and then Mars apparently decided to discontinue both CN and EVO at the end of 2017:

https://smileydog.com/evo-and-califo...-discontinued/

Natura had once had been an independent company with a good reputation for foods like Karma Organic, Evo, Innova and California Naturals. It seems that there's nothing of it left.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 02:17 AM

I agree with many of the brands already mentioned.
I currently feed Acana and havent had any issues when feeding the correct amount for the specific dog, My 75lb lab right now is at 2- 2 1/4 cups a day, if it was a crazy busy active day he might get closer to 2 1/2 cups and has fantastic poops and energy, many people who have issues are most likely feeding to much (or its just not right for their dog) but i always feel that it is worth a shot to see if your dog does well and you can afford it. as for the Purina thing, it was just a rumour and they put out a statement saying they are still privately owned with only one outside investor which is a Canadian company and that Champion has no plans on selling to anyone

I was talking with a couple of my friends who are also super into nutrition, and one just happens to work at a Global that just got in the brand Nature's Logic, which she is really liking and it uses millet instead of the peas and legumes as a binder and such which she was super happy and impressed about, pretty sure its made in a human food grade facility as well. It is about the same price range as origin which can be too pricey for some people.

Go!, and anything pet curean is good quality and something i would recommend
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
@Malibu, unless you have a time machine to 2009, you're not going to be able to buy the California Naturals that built Natura's reputation.

California Naturals was sold to Proctor & Gamble in 2010, and then to Mars in 2014. There were reformulations, and then Mars apparently decided to discontinue both CN and EVO at the end of 2017:

https://smileydog.com/evo-and-califo...-discontinued/

Natura had once had been an independent company with a good reputation for foods like Karma Organic, Evo, Innova and California Naturals. It seems that there's nothing of it left.
I am sorry, I meant TUSCAN NATURALS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page