Trouble finding a good dry food - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Trouble finding a good dry food

Hi all, just looking for some suggestions and to see if maybe someone had a similar issue and found a food that worked good. I've had a constant battle with soft stools.

When I got my puppy, he was on raw food, and everything was fine. I chose to take him off raw because it wasn't practical for me at the time. We travel, so taking raw everywhere was not easy.

I have since tried the following:
Acana LBP - was on this for the longest. Switched off it to try something without chicken to see if it would help with the soft stool.
Tried Acana Pacifica for a while and ranchlands with a fairly similar result. Would be good for a little while and then he would go through bouts of soft stools.

After all that I tried putting him on a food with a bit of grain in it to see if that would firm things up and used Fromm LBP. That was about the same, but seemed a little better. After a month or two on that, I switched to Costco, salmon and sweet potato. He now has firm stool, but there's an unholy amount....like 3x the normal quantity. He will sometimes have to go twice in the same walk to get it all out. I also, don't trust the manufacturer of the Costco food, so I don't want to use it longterm.

Now, when he has soft stool, I can give him pumpkin daily and it will mostly counteract it, but I feel like I should be able to find a good quality food that would work for him.

Just wondering if anyone has some suggestions for what I can try next. Sorry about the long post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 05:59 PM
Master Member

I switched from Taste of the Wild Wetlands to Victor Nutra Pro just 2 weeks ago. I only switched because I needed a higher calorie per cup and higher protein and fat from the dry food. I would've stayed with TOTW if they have a higher protein food. Their customer service is a lot better compared to Victor, IMHO.

The transition process took 9 days and within 5 days after the transition was over, I gave my pup pumpkin puree 2 tablespoon a day. It was rough for the 1st 7 days of the transition but after that, his stools are firm and perfect, very easy to clean.

I would suggest Victor or Taste of the Wild. High quality food that don't break the bank.
tc68 likes this.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 06:19 PM
Crowned Member

Another vote for Victor here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 06:27 PM

Another in favor of Victor. We just finished transitioning over to Victor Hero Canine formula with Glucosamine last week.
tc68 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kairo DOB: 12/02/17

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Follow on Instagram: @just_kairo_gsd
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGloomy View Post
I switched from Taste of the Wild Wetlands to Victor Nutra Pro just 2 weeks ago. I only switched because I needed a higher calorie per cup and higher protein and fat from the dry food. I would've stayed with TOTW if they have a higher protein food. Their customer service is a lot better compared to Victor, IMHO.

The transition process took 9 days and within 5 days after the transition was over, I gave my pup pumpkin puree 2 tablespoon a day. It was rough for the 1st 7 days of the transition but after that, his stools are firm and perfect, very easy to clean.

I would suggest Victor or Taste of the Wild. High quality food that don't break the bank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post
Another vote for Victor here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairo's Dad View Post
Another in favor of Victor. We just finished transitioning over to Victor Hero Canine formula with Glucosamine last week.

I'm not sure if you can get Victor in Canada. I haven't seen it at any of the stores at least.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 06:56 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydy View Post
I'm not sure if you can get Victor in Canada. I haven't seen it at any of the stores at least.
I have never found Victor here. Where in Canada are you? I have a couple of suggestions.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I don't buy mine in a store either. You can get it on Amazon, or Chewy. I use Chewy because Amazon doesn't offer subscribe and save on the kind of Victor I use, but Chewy offers autoship with a discount, so I get a 30lb bag for $51.50 with free shipping.

Kairo DOB: 12/02/17

Follow on Instagram: @just_kairo_gsd
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 07:02 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
I don't buy mine in a store either. You can get it on Amazon, or Chewy. I use Chewy because Amazon doesn't offer subscribe and save on the kind of Victor I use, but Chewy offers autoship with a discount, so I get a 30lb bag for $51.50 with free shipping.
Chewy, I think, does not ship to Canada and Amazon.ca does not sell Victor.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
Quote:
I have never found Victor here. Where in Canada are you? I have a couple of suggestions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
Quote:
Chewy, I think, does not ship to Canada and Amazon.ca does not sell Victor.
Yeah Chewy isn't really an option. I'm Saint John, New Brunswick, but will be back in Calgary in a couple months. Looking for something common enough I can find it in most cities. I normally go to global pet foods.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 07:19 PM
Crowned Member

GO! looks like a good food and folks seem happy with it. I can't use it because of the flax. Same deal with the Pulsar foods. Global sells a food called Canadian Naturals, but I wasn't thrilled with it. Seems to be a good food and a couple of friends use it and are happy.
By far my favorite food is First Mate, bit cheaper then the Acana and you feed less. Global is their national retailer so even if they don't have it they can order for you, no cost. I am just switching Shadow to the new grain friendly formula in light of the DCM/Taurine debacle and none of the stores are carrying it yet but I had mine two days after I ordered it. I paid $47 for a 25lb bag.
In Calgary, the Cambrian store refused to order it, I was shocked, but the Marda Loop store said no problem, anytime.
Nigel likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page