Victor dog food and alfalfa - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Victor dog food and alfalfa

Sooooooo I switched from grainfree Wellness to Victor Hi Pro. Then someone mentioned that alfalfa is a legume. However, it generally isn't in the seed form so it should be okay in regards to the FDA warning about legumes and potatoes in food. So I felt a bit better. But then I read that alfalfa can cause bloat!!! Anyone know anything about that!?!?!

Kathy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sherman-GSD 5/27/16
Stella-GSD 6/17/11-9/26/18 My universe will never be the same...I'm glad you came.
Ruben-Newfie/? mix 7/2003-5/25/16 a dog with a big heart, who was always there for me...miss you my old man

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 07:06 PM
Elite Member

I guess it would depend on how much of it the food has. I have been thinking about cycling between Dr. Tim's and Victor Hi Pro

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 09:49 PM

I would suspect that the grains Might have a connection with bloat because it swells in the stomach. You could moisten the kibble awhile if you'd like. I also feed with two small meals.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
I would suspect that the grains Might have a connection with bloat because it swells in the stomach. You could moisten the kibble awhile if you'd like. I also feed with two small meals.
I actually feed 3 meals a day. One of those meals is scattered kibble around the room or in a toy that he has to get it out of...keeps my boy busy hunting for his food for a little while. That would be hard to moisten...lol. The other two meals I do generally add water.

I have heard of moistening kibble before but what I read was specific to alfalfa. I contacted Victor about it but have not had a reply yet.
car2ner likes this.

Kathy

Sherman-GSD 5/27/16
Stella-GSD 6/17/11-9/26/18 My universe will never be the same...I'm glad you came.
Ruben-Newfie/? mix 7/2003-5/25/16 a dog with a big heart, who was always there for me...miss you my old man

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 10:06 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

it is pretty low on the list of ingredients.......I have fed both of my dogs victor both hi pro and hi energy for several years now and have never had any gassiness or any issues with the food. I do like to soak my food for about 30 minutes to an hour before feeding.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I am really unsure what to do. As I said, both of mine have seemed to adjust well. It's been about 2 weeks now.

However last night and today my 7 yr old was acting oddly.... Kind of having dry heaves...looking really out of it. She pooped ok and has had her normal appetite all along. I did take her to a vet this afternoon to make sure there was no sign of bloat or throat irritation. She got a shot of Cerenia and came home. Well, 4 hours later she did the weird dry heaves again... I didn't feed any kibble since this morning (Victor) but did give her some of the canned Wellness Simple this evening that I was using. She seems ok at this point. But now I am wondering if the new food could be bothering her? Would it come on like this after almost 2 weeks?

I have spent the last few hours looking at foods and did see a comment about the alfalfa possibly causing gastritis in some dogs. Hmmmmm. I wonder if this is what is going on?

As a precaution maybe I will put her on a bland diet for a day or two and see what happens.

I was also looking at Eagle Pack for large/giant breed and it doesn't seem to have any of the questionable foods in it. Wonder if maybe that would be worth a try....

Kathy

Sherman-GSD 5/27/16

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 11:59 PM

Out of curiosity, why do you soak your kibble in water? I do it because my dogs prefer eating together for whatever reason and one of them that we adopted has bad teeth, so I soak the kibble to make it softer. But what are some benefits you have experienced in doing this for your GSDs?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 06:14 AM
Master Member

I also feed Victor, but the Nutra Pro. And I too soak them in water beforehand. I read somewhere we shouldn't soak the dry food in water for more than 30 mins prior to eating.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydub_u View Post
Out of curiosity, why do you soak your kibble in water? I do it because my dogs prefer eating together for whatever reason and one of them that we adopted has bad teeth, so I soak the kibble to make it softer. But what are some benefits you have experienced in doing this for your GSDs?
The reason some may soak is that the little hard pellets of kibble soak up fluids in the stomach and enlarge. So a cup of dry food will be more than a cup once hydrated. I don't soak mine long. Mostly I do it to give the kibble a variety of textures. If my dogs don't eat the kibble within 15 minutes I pick it up and put it into the fridge.
kaydub_u likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 09:39 AM
Crowned Member

alfalfa grasses (sprouted greens)

barley grasses (sprouted greens)

wheat grass (sprouted greens)
GatorBytes likes this.

Carmen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page