Should dogs eat cat food ? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jax08

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Should dogs eat cat food ?

This will be something many folks here already know....some won't know--- THEY are the reason I started this thread...until very recently I had never heard anything negative about dogs eating cat food....I've had many that did on occasion with no apparent problems....keep reading

I now believe that it was likely cat food that cost me over $2,000 over the 4th of July holidays and made us think we going to loose our 4 year old Aussie... and put her on the verge of surgery...apparently a very small percentage of dogs have gastrointestinal systems that can't handle it at all....there's quite a bit online about it ...if it works for me I'll include a couple links--
https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/nu...-eat-cat-food/
https://www.petmd.com/blogs/dailyvet...August/21-4582

My girls pancreatic levels were a little elevated,,,,due to x-rays at that time a blockage was suspected.....fortunately in this case my vet took a wait and see attitude...before surgery.

Last edited by Shane'sDad; 09-02-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 01:23 PM

Very scary. I'm glad your dog is ok.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 01:45 PM
Crowned Member

wow. Is there high fat in cat food???

People like to use hot dogs as training treats. I fed TWO hotdogs the night at training before a regular yearly wellness check. It jacked my girls pancreatic level up by 3000. My vet came back into the room with a white face thinking he was going to have to tell me my dog was dying.

Will add cat food to the list of NEVER FEED to dogs.

SG Seger vom Sitz vd Hose, IPO3, AD
G Faren vom Warkonhaus, Monkey in Training
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 02:01 PM
Crowned Member

Interesting! I wonder if fat tolerance is individual or breed specific?

FWIW, the Keto Pet Sanctuary is doing a lot of work with high-fat/low-carb raw diets in dogs with terminal cancer -- even hemangio -- as part of a multi-pronged strategy that's getting some of them to live much longer than any dog with hemangio ought to (years in some cases). It's incredibly hopeful research for dogs who don't have any reason to hope. When I saw their work though, my first thought was "why aren't some of them getting pancreatitis?" I still don't have an answer.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
wow. Is there high fat in cat food???

People like to use hot dogs as training treats. I fed TWO hotdogs the night at training before a regular yearly wellness check. It jacked my girls pancreatic level up by 3000. My vet came back into the room with a white face thinking he was going to have to tell me my dog was dying.

Will add cat food to the list of NEVER FEED to dogs.
Based on what i've read it's the high protein level in cat food and the lack of fiber....apparently some dogs stomachs won't tolerate that amount of protein in food without fiber.....Strangely enough over the years we've had GSDs that have eaten cat food some by accident and others because they were older and being picky....sometimes I've mixed it with their regular food because all dogs seem to love cat food ..lol....none of the GSDs had any reaction at all that I could tell...but...needless to say I won't be doing that again

I'll add this-- keep in mind I'm still learning it's new to me...but I think the issue has to do with food made for cats which are obligate carnivores (100% meat eaters) and dogs which are omnivores they need some form of fiber also....i guess as a human I think of it as me eating foods that are just too"rich"

Last edited by Shane'sDad; 09-02-2018 at 02:13 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 02:12 PM
Crowned Member

I think it's the individual dog. Jax wasn't affected at all by the hot dogs. We never would have known if I hadn't had yearly blood work run. It was amazing what 2 hot dogs did. I've never fed them again. Just isn't worth the risk.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 03:01 PM

Wow!I've used hot dogs for training treats for years.Plus I toss a little cat food food in the treat jar from the little sample bags I pick up here and there.This is good to know.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 03:14 PM
Crowned Member

Many people use them without any issue. I didn't have issues. I just saw the blood work thru pure coincidence.
dogma13 likes this.

Last edited by Jax08; 09-02-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page