I just mentioned this in another thread. In a 20 minute span, my dog ate 2 feet of a 5 feet paracord leash. Because I caught it within an hour of him ingesting it, the emergency vet could induce vomiting. $215 for the visit and the drug. He threw up all 2 feet of it (the vet measured it out). If I waited longer than an hour it would've moved onto the duodenum and then the intestines. Then we're talking about thousands of dollars worth of surgery.
The 2nd time...yes, 2nd time....I came home to him eating his crate's foam mattress pad. Back to the emergency room for the same thing. Doctors said, don't take the chance of it clogging his intestines. If it clogged, they'd have to cut him open, take his intestines out, cut that open and get the pieces out, sew it tightly shut so that nothing seeps out of the cut possibly causing infection and death, and sew him back up.
My suggestion....surgery is a lot of money and not worth his life. Don't take that chance. If it just happened recently, go to your vet fast. If it's after an hour, call the vet and see what they say. My own primary care vet told me to wait and see if he'd poop it out the next day for the first incident. The emergency hospital said, if I did that, I would be looking at surgery. I'm glad I didn't listen to my primary care vet. Maybe I'm a little too careful, but 215 bucks is worth a peace of mind.