What about this "poisonous" coconut oil? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

What about this "poisonous" coconut oil?

So now a study came out that said that coconut was like "poison" to humans ( https://www.vox.com/science-and-heal...-saturated-fat ). So now that many of us give it to our dogs for health reasons, what are we supposed to do? All these contradicting studies....grrr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 12:46 PM
Crowned Member

What health reasons specifically? I've never bought in to it. I never buy in to anything that is a cure all.
angelas likes this.

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 12:50 PM

Isn’t her claim just another salvo in the saturated fat wars?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
What health reasons specifically? I've never bought in to it. I never buy in to anything that is a cure all.
https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/he...good-for-dogs/
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 01:27 PM
Crowned Member

It was kind of a rhetorical question Wolfy. My point was I'm not surprised that the cure all notion of coconut oil is being proven false. I don't buy into all the food hype fads and this was just another one of them.
Sabis mom likes this.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 01:48 PM
Crowned Member

I use it for my dogs for digestion, 1 tbs once a day. I haven’t seen any negative results. I heard about the study and haven’t looked into it in detail yet, but they said for humans. One of my dogs is on a LID diet which leaves out a lot of nutrients so I supplement her anyway. I don’t think it can hurt but I don’t overdo it. I would never eat it myself, but my diet is varied enough without it.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 01:55 PM
Crowned Member

Here is a different take on it
https://qz.com/quartzy/1367711/is-co...d-complicated/

Trader Joeís sells triple filtered coconut oil which is odorless and available on Amazon or in their stores.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 02:01 PM
Elite Member

[QUOTE=LuvShepherds;9102473]I use it for my dogs for digestion, 1 tbs once a day. I havenít seen any negative results. I heard about the study and havenít looked into it in detail yet, but they said for humans. One of my dogs is on a LID diet which leaves out a lot of nutrients so I supplement her anyway. I donít think it can hurt but I donít overdo it. I would never eat it myself, but my diet is varied enough without it.[/QUOTE

The bolded. Like all things. Moderation is the key. Nothing in excess is good. I read the article and the rebuttal of the original Dr.s study saying coconut oil was good for you. The original study was done with 100% MCT derived from coconut oil. Not actual coconut oil either unrefined or refined. That is key to understanding the conflicting views. In addition, to consume the amount of actual coconut oil verses MCT used in the original study stating it's benefits, human or dog couldn't consume that much unless that's all they ate. Seriously, I don't think anyone has a real clue about most of this stuff other than to say eat as clean as you can in moderation and balance.
LuvShepherds and Sabis mom like this.

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 02:28 PM
Crowned Member

I use coconut oil topically for some of Shadows owies and it works well. Since she hates it she doesn't lick it off. She had developed a callous type thing on her front leg from chewing it, which was causing it's own issues. The coconut oil kept it soft enough that it healed and I had no fears that she may ingest it.
It was recommended for Bud when he got old as a supplement to aid in digestion and it worked wonders. I added a tablespoon a day to his food and it seemed to clear up a lot of problems for him. I also used it topically on the urine burns from incontinence and on his old man elbows and saw great results. It SEEMED to help solve the incontinence as well.
I don't think it's a cure all, but it did appear to help with some issues.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 02:58 PM

Coconut oil can be confusing because it is different that other saturated fats. Coconut oil contains lauric acid which is the component that is a good antibacterial and disinfectant. It also contains MCT's which are easily used by the body for energy and can be a very efficient source of energy. An increase in LDL is NOT bad if the ratio of your LDL/HDL stays withing range. If one increases a crazy amount and the other does not then you have a bad ratio and run into heart problems. The science on LDL is outdated and new research shows its the particle size of the LDL that matters and not just the number of how high or low it is. Id say its relatively safe but theres no reason a dog or human should be eating very much of it anyways. Its not a natural type of saturated fat for a dog like animal fat is. Saturated fats being bad in general is outdated. We now know that saturated fat in moderation is healthy and its processed hydrogenated vegetable oils that are bad like canola, soybean, and palm oil (a fruit).
angelas and Opsoclonus like this.

Last edited by mmags; 08-24-2018 at 03:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page