My top 5 dog food brands and why! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

My top 5 dog food brands and why!

At some point more of us than not have become seemingly obsessed with finding what is best to feed our furry companions, including myself. Due to the fact that not everyone can feed RAW or the varieties that it encompasses, I wanted to create a thread that highlights in my opinion some of the top kibbles. This is in no particular order and the foods are based on the following criteria:

1) Ingredients/Nutritional quality
2) Location of facility and production
3) Transparency
4) Recalls
5) Dogs stool on each food
6) Price

Up first is VICTOR brand dog food. What can I say, this brand has never let me down and seems to have great feedback. They have never had a recall. It is produced and located in Texas with close proximity to majority of the ingredients used. They use a high percentage of proteins from meats which they list all of the breakdowns on the bags and website. Victor goes above to add additional ingredients for health and wellness such as Selenium yeast which is an organic form of Selenium which dogs can highly utilize. Victor adds taurine to all of their formulas to provide additional amounts. They have trace mineral packs in their organic form which are absorbed better as well as pre and pro-biotics for digestive health. I love that on their website you get a guaranteed analysis, general analysis and breakdown of nutrient content. They seem to have nothing to hide. My dogs coats have always been silky and shiny. Stools are nothing short of perfect on this food no matter which formula I use. Other customers often times report firmer, smaller and less stinky stools than on other foods. They offer great grain free and grain inclusive lines. Their grain free lines dont depend on massive amounts of lentils, different types of peas, white potatoes and pea fiber like some other grain free lines. This is a relatively affordable food food considering the calorie content, amount you have to feed, and size of bags available. No Victor formulas contain corn, wheat or soy.

Nutrisource dog food is second. Made in the USA in Minnesota, this is a trustworthy company. Specifically I am talking about their grain inclusive lines which I like and not so much the grain free lines. They list full ingredient breakdowns and analysis on their website. Nutrisource also used selenium yeast, minerals, and probiotics in their formulas. No recalls so far with this food. I love that they support small shops. Their company is very transparent and posts videos as well as letters regarding any areas of concern in their products or the industry. They have a great variety of foods with different proteins as well as a performance line with a high calorie count per cup. Customer feedback for this food has been top notch from what I have seen, as well as from myself. Stools on this are A1. Many people have reported this being a great food for dogs with sensitive stomachs as this food digests well and reflects that in the stool. This is one of the more affordable premium foods.

Up next, Dr.Tims pet food. This food is manufactured in the US at Ohio pet foods. With no recalls in the 30 years they have been around, this is a very safe food. Dr tims posts full ingredients and analysis on their website which is easy to work around. They use high quality ingredients and offer corn, wheat, and soy free formulas with just some of their performance foods containing certain wheat products, which isnt always a bad thing. Their Fusion and Momentum foods have a calorie count of over 500kcal per cup. They also offer an ancient grains line which uses quality grains like millet and sorghum. Stools are nice and consistent making for easy pickups. This is one of the more expensive foods which is a factor for some.

Fourth on the list, Sport Dog Food. This food is a very small owned operation. Made in the US and owned by a family. They recently upgraded to a larger facility to meet the growing demands and the same quality has followed. There has not been a recall for this brand. This is a popular food amongst working and sporting dogs. They offer 3 different lines all with high calorie counts. One of the highest nutritionally rated foods in my opinion they use quality proteins and grains and offer grain free formulas that dont use potatoes and peas. All nutrients and analysis are listed on the website. They are similar to Victor in that they use Selenium yeast, advanced mineral packs, pre and probiotics. Most of their formulas stay around the 30/20 range and vary slightly. If you are looking for absolutely no controversial ingredients, this may be the food for you. They do not use beet pulp, tomato pomace, or canola oil which some people do not like. They also explain exactly why they use what they use. Stools are solid and small with this food and customers seem to rave on reviews of this food. This is also a slightly more expensive food when compared to others.

Lastly, Muenster brand pet foods. Made here in the US, specifically Texas this is a family owned brand for four generations. This company also supports smaller shops and local stores. They recently have come out with an ancient grains line and a grain free line with some unique proteins to offer such as rabbit and duck. They are also very transparent with their ingredients and analysis which can be found on their website. The owner addresses any issues or concerns promptly and kindly. Muenster has never had a recall to date. Muenster does use advanced minerals as well as probiotics. They also have high calorie foods most in the upper 400kcal per cup and some topping 500. They also have a cheaper line as well. Dogs stools were mostly great on this food with the occasional slightly soft. Most customer feedback I have seen has been great. I would rate this as an affordable food due to the variety with certain lines costing more than others but all within range. They also often offer deals such as BOGO and 20% off.

Again, this is all MY opinion. Some of you may be surprised to not see some forum favorites on here such as Orijen, Acana, FROMM, Earthborn, Wellness, Farmina, Kirkland, TOTW, Diamond, 4Health etc. but feel free to reply as to why because there is a reason those were not on here. Obviously there are many brands not listed that shouldn't even be considered.
Opsoclonus likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 11:22 AM

I feed my girl Victor Select Nutra Pro. She would have solid poops every day if we didn't use hotdog for training two nights a week. She likes it and it doesn't seem to cause any issues for her. My breeder picked it out for her litter (and a few others) to try and feed due to the phosphorus/calcium ratio. I kept feeding it because she digested it well. I have considered switching to Fromm since it is locally available here rather than having to order from Chewy.

My Shiba has a weight issue. We've tried multiple brands. He did well on Wellness Core Healthy Weight (or Weight Management...whatever it's called). Lost two pounds but maintained 38lbs when I needed him down to 36lbs. I took him off diet food for about 5 months causing him to gain 10 pounds. Since he doesn't want to eat the Wellness anymore, I've bought Dr. Tim's Metabolite formula due to the ratings on Dog Food Advisor and the lower calorie count. I've noticed he seems more active. I can't tell if he's losing weight as I have not weighed him since (it's only been 3 weeks) but people have been saying he looks slimmer. Pro is he seems to like it.

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 ORT SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung CGC TKN RATI RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsugsd View Post
I feed my girl Victor Select Nutra Pro. She would have solid poops every day if we didn't use hotdog for training two nights a week. She likes it and it doesn't seem to cause any issues for her. My breeder picked it out for her litter (and a few others) to try and feed due to the phosphorus/calcium ratio. I kept feeding it because she digested it well. I have considered switching to Fromm since it is locally available here rather than having to order from Chewy.

My Shiba has a weight issue. We've tried multiple brands. He did well on Wellness Core Healthy Weight (or Weight Management...whatever it's called). Lost two pounds but maintained 38lbs when I needed him down to 36lbs. I took him off diet food for about 5 months causing him to gain 10 pounds. Since he doesn't want to eat the Wellness anymore, I've bought Dr. Tim's Metabolite formula due to the ratings on Dog Food Advisor and the lower calorie count. I've noticed he seems more active. I can't tell if he's losing weight as I have not weighed him since (it's only been 3 weeks) but people have been saying he looks slimmer. Pro is he seems to like it.
Good feedback. I am bringing home a Czech WL pup next month and will start him on a mix of Victor Select Nutra pro and Nutrisource LBP. My suggestion to you for the weight issued dog is maybe try a high calorie food with high protein and fat and just feed only once a day at about 1c-1.5c. This has worked for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 12:14 PM
Crowned Member

I have ethical issues with Sport Dog Food. They are a rip off of Victor. In fact, somewhere I have the email they forwarded when they started their company and Victor pulled their line from their store because of it. Even the SD website is like Victor.

Plus, they've had supply issues and everyone that jumped on their bandwagon was left with no food. I think it's fixed now but it wasn't a good situation.

post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 12:16 PM
Crowned Member

You do understand that forum members are from all over the world right? I am right "next door" in Canada and at a glance none of those foods are available here.
I appreciate the thought behind the thread but with recent issues people need to be consulting vets and other professionals before making any food choices, since it would seem that everything we thought we knew may be wrong.
Jax08 and Katsugsd like this.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I have ethical issues with Sport Dog Food. They are a rip off of Victor. In fact, somewhere I have the email they forwarded when they started their company and Victor pulled their line from their store because of it. Even the SD website is like Victor.

Plus, they've had supply issues and everyone that jumped on their bandwagon was left with no food. I think it's fixed now but it wasn't a good situation.
I agree, they copied Victor in a lot of ways. Yes, they were also out of stock for a while. At worst they copied an amazing food and yes that can be an ethical issue to some. Second was more of an inconvenience rather than something negative about the food itself. I was purely basing this off of quality of the food and safety. I get where you're coming from. I still feed Victor as my #1.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
You do understand that forum members are from all over the world right? I am right "next door" in Canada and at a glance none of those foods are available here.
I appreciate the thought behind the thread but with recent issues people need to be consulting vets and other professionals before making any food choices, since it would seem that everything we thought we knew may be wrong.
Yes, I do understand people on this forum are from all over the world. An educated individual can have just as much nutritional knowledge on what to feed their dog as a vet would. They are animal doctors, not nutritionists trained in macro and micro nutrients and how all ingredients work/react within animals. Just like an MD is not a dietician. Funny how majority of vets will recommend some of the worst foods. Also, if you're referring to the recent heart disease and taurine issue, that was considered in the foods I listed.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 01:13 PM
Crowned Member

Dog food is always going to be subjective, and people will do what they will.

Since you completely ignored the fact that I mentioned none of those foods being available outside the US, I will correct myself. I am pretty sure I have seen Nutrisource somewhere.
The great thing about forums is that everyone can state their opinion. Since I have a dog who already has enough problems I think I will stick to the advice I know is solid. And like @Jax08, I don't purchase products from companies with questionable ethics. It tends to spread.

In the meantime I will do as advised and steer clear of potatoes, sweet potatoes, peas and lentils in the top ten.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Dog food is always going to be subjective, and people will do what they will.

Since you completely ignored the fact that I mentioned none of those foods being available outside the US, I will correct myself. I am pretty sure I have seen Nutrisource somewhere.
The great thing about forums is that everyone can state their opinion. Since I have a dog who already has enough problems I think I will stick to the advice I know is solid. And like @Jax08, I don't purchase products from companies with questionable ethics. It tends to spread.

In the meantime I will do as advised and steer clear of potatoes, sweet potatoes, peas and lentils in the top ten.
Seeing as I dont live in Canada, It wouldn't be fair for me to rate foods that I dont have my dogs use or have regular access to. You seem offended that I offered an opinion on a few good foods. Me saying that vets are not experts in nutrition was not an opinion, its a fact. Also I based my reviews off of facts as well. I listed locations, talked about ingredients and analysis, recalls, etc. You seem very strongly opinionated, so maybe you could contribute to the post by naming foods without those 4 ingredients in the top ten that you know are available where you live for other members.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 01:29 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:

And like @Jax08, I don't purchase products from companies with questionable ethics. It tends to spread.
n.
People have no idea the money, time and effort it takes to develop a product. It's why there are copyright, trademarks and patents. As a designer, it's infuriating to hear people blow off ethical issues like this. Whether it's Ozark trail copying the Yeti design before they were able to file the paperwork or SD copying Victor. It's stealing.

But to each their own...
Aly and Sabis mom like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page