Crying after eating? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Crying after eating?

For the last while, Ryka has been whining after eating. We’ve been trying to pin point why before going to the vet again, because it doesn’t seem related to pain or severe discomfort of her teeth or stomach. She can eat treats or snacks throughout the day without issue, and has no issue chewing on bully sticks or Whimzies.

But after eating breakfast and dinner, once she finishes she has to find her black, furry dead squeaky toy, and she carries it around while crying. Then she digs in carpet or blankets, and usually won’t settle unless she can lay down in her favourite spot - her head on my pillow and curled up in my bed. Even then she’ll cry a little here and there while hoarding her prize. If we put her in the crate or her indoor/outdoor pen, then she doesn’t cry. It’s just around us with the toy immediately after eating.

Any ideas? We’re about to leave on a two week trip and I don’t want to leave her uncomfortable or unhappy while we’re gone.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 02:35 PM
Crowned Member

That's odd. What happens if you take her out for a walk directly after eating? If she's busy does she continue to try to cry?

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 02:48 PM

How old is your dog.

What has vet said since you mentioned going to the vet again.

What tests have been done..

Pretty hard to leave a dog in that state.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 02:52 PM
Knighted Member

Is she still intact? Could she be coming into season?
Sabis mom likes this.

Train the dog in front of you.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
That's odd. What happens if you take her out for a walk directly after eating? If she's busy does she continue to try to cry?

Nope. If she’s busy or occupied, she doesn’t cry. If she’s crated, she doesn’t cry. It’s super weird and we’re touch perplexed by it. She’s not showing any sensitivity issues to the food either, so I’m not sure if it’s food, gut, or just mental. She’s a very vocal dog and will sass us much like a husky would, and she also whines whenever she wants something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyGhost View Post
Is she still intact? Could she be coming into season?

She finished her second heat at the end of June. She’s a December/June cycle at the moment. I had an issue with her having a slight infection after going swimming awhile back (vaginitis), but it cleared on its own and with monitoring by us and the vet. I’m planning to keep her intact until she’s four.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

Kona
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 09:18 PM
Knighted Member

I'm wondering if it IS hormonal, and the toy represents a puppy that she is mothering!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 09:55 PM
Crowned Member

Shadow does this about 8 weeks after every heat. Multiple breeders have assured me that it's normal for some females.
We started with Lambie. Now we have Lambie, Dragon, Bunny, Weird Pokémon looking thing and the squeaky ball. It's a messed up litter. Lol. If your girl follows the apparently common pattern after a few weeks or a month she will get bored and move on.
Jax08, Aly, Sunsilver and 2 others like this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 10:09 PM
Knighted Member

Hah! So now we have the answer! I guessed right!

The tipoff was that she doesn't do it when crated, and the timing - 8 weeks after her heat, which is when she would have normally had pups if she'd been bred.
Femfa likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 10:24 PM
Crowned Member

I got two cautions, if she gets aggressive at all put a stop to it and some breeders feel it MAY increase the chances of pyometra. The breeders that I asked were split on the pyometra. Some felt strongly that it was a risk and some felt it was no more so then otherwise.
ALL agreed that in Shadows case if it happens we will risk surgery but it is safer to wait and see. I expect they would feel the same about waiting for maturity to spay.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 10:26 PM
Master Member

Whoa. I had no idea a female can act this way AFTER the heat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page