Honest Kitchen Preference base mix - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Honest Kitchen Preference base mix

I plan to use HK base mix (with cooked meat) for a few weeks while boarding my dogs.

They usually eat raw and I determine the proper amount by weighing their portions.

If you use the HK base mixes, have you found that the feeding directions listed on the box to be fairly accurate?

I have read that the amounts for the HK complete diets seem to be on the low side and some dogs loose weight.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 09:59 AM
Crowned Member

I have had to feed more than the box suggested. If the dogs are sedentary and kenneled in boarding it may be okay, but if they're getting lots of exercise and play time, it might not be. I would also drop a fish oil capsule in with their portions (as it has no EFAs -- Preference also has no flax). For me, it was some trial and error to find the right portion for my dog. I'm sure it varies with the dog's metabolism, and the fattiness of the meat you use.

You might also consider adding a taurine capsule once a day, if that's a concern to you (please see our mega-thread on the FDA Warning re DCM, where THK is discusssed):
https://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...omyopathy.html
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Magwart, thank you.
That is kind of what I figured.

I figured out the calories each dog has been getting when raw fed, 2202/day for my male & 1468/day for my female. No weight problems with either of them and they do well on this.

I have figured out how to match that calorie wise, and keeping the mix/meat/water balance correct, with the HK base mix and it makes HUGE bowls of food. Even my big eater is leaving about 1/2 cup or so in the bowl each meal. AND we will need a new box every 8.5 days at about $54 a 7 lb. box.

That is not even figuring in the cost of the meat! YIKES! Hopefully, they do well on this for a short time and don't loose weight inspite of such large servings.

I started the transition about a month before we have to board them, just in case either of them had issues with the HK.

Also, I always add fish oil capsules and am not too concerned with the taurine because this is short term.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 07:17 PM
Crowned Member

I get about 2 weeks (give or take) out of a box with 1 dog, so 8 days with 2 dogs sounds about right.

FWIW, I order them from Onlynaturalpet.com -- 3% back from Ebates, 5% back from them on every order, and they always have coupon codes out there for at least 10-20% off with free shipping. My target price with coupon codes is $45/box!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page