How about grinding and soaking kibble? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Slamdunc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

How about grinding and soaking kibble?

Deja needed her prescription RC kibble ground and soaked after her twisted colon surgery. I have started to think that this may be actually a better way to feed kibble in general. Seeing how much water it soaks up before it is a good consistency to feed, it seems like feeding plain dry kibble takes a lot of digestion before it is finally able to be absorbed. Wouldn't it be easier for their gut system if we fed it ground and soaked in warm water? It will also prevent dry kibble from being inhaled.
Just wondering about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 02:54 PM
Knighted Member

Dogs do need water to digest kibble. A friend of mine noticed how they would go to the water bowl shortly after eating. She began soaking the kibble (and also alternating kibble with raw) and her dogs didn't visit the water bowl nearly as often.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 02:58 PM
Crowned Member

I have archival material - early USA Dog magazines going back to before 1920 .
The magazine is still in publicatin - .

I was able to track the very first adverts trying to manipulate consumer behaviour . If you were feeding this "new"
science based kibble you were among the smarter set - sophisticted .

Ralston Purina was right there . So was Spratts and some other hard-tack products which were all made with grain
surplus .

In the articles and adverts it was recommended that they be reconstituted with moisture - water , gravy ,
broth.

Later on came Pedigree Pal , a grain base - which recommended a tin of wet food .

The "kibble" bit was meant for long term , convenient storage.

To your dog you can add your bone broth .

Is he / she not getting any digestive enzymes??

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 03:04 PM
Knighted Member

When I had a dog that was a picky eater, I'd save the gelatin from chicken I'd baked, and warm it in a saucepan until it melted, then pour it over the kibble. I'm sure there was lots of good stuff in it, and surprisingly little fat, especially if you use breasts or drumsticks instead of whole legs or quarters.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Once Deja gets the green light from the vet she will get her raw in the evening and I will soak her morning kibble but not grind it, which I already do for Griff.
Deja gets probiotics with ever meal until fully healed.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 03:27 PM
Master Member

Only problem with soaked kibble is the dogs tend to also get nasty teeth. Possibly unrelated but a friend of mind said she's seen kidney issues with a fair few dogs that are just fed soaked kibble.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazel View Post
Only problem with soaked kibble is the dogs tend to also get nasty teeth. Possibly unrelated but a friend of mind said she's seen kidney issues with a fair few dogs that are just fed soaked kibble.
The raw meaty bones in the evening counter this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 10:56 PM
Master Member

I soak dry kibbles in warm water upon feeding it to my dog. But it's only because he is a very picky eater and the mushier it is, easier for him to chew. For his teeth health, I have some pretty good chew toys and rawhides, and I brush his teeth too. So no worries there. But I think for dogs who are not picky eaters and eat normally, I don't see why they should be soaked in water.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 11:27 PM

I would be very careful with rawhide. Dogs can ingest large pieces and get obstructions. Also, depending where the rawhide comes from you have no idea what is in it. Rawhide is something that I would never give a dog.
Quinnsmom, carmspack and Aly like this.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page