Is this nutritionally balanced? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jax08
  • 1 Post By CrazyDogLady

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Is this nutritionally balanced?

Hello! I have another question regarding some recipes I found for home cooked meals. I’m eventually going to start feeding raw, but right now I don’t have enough freezer space so that’s why I’m feeding (well, ABOUT to feed) a home cooked diet. Anyway, I was looking on Canine Journal.com (specifically the “Kiss Kibble Goodbye: Homemade Dog Food Recipes) and while looking at the ingredients of the Beef Stew, I wasn’t sure if my dogs would be getting everything they need. I obviously would rotate the proteins and the two veggies (listed as green beans and carrots) but I didn’t really see any calcium. I may be wrong, but I’d rather get some more opinions just to be safe. Also, if anyone hase any example recipes to share I would love to hear them. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 12:03 AM
Crowned Member

I would not feed a home cooked or home made raw diet to a puppy without guidance from a nutritionist.

Monica Segal`s books are good as well as Dr. Beckers. Both books have diet plan s you can follow that ate complete.
GypsyGhost likes this.

SG Seger vom Sitz vd Hose, IPO3, AD
G Faren vom Warkonhaus, Monkey in Training
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 01:16 AM
Elite Member

@CraztDogLady to answer your question about calcium. In the beginning of the article it states ground egg shell for calcium as a supplement. Looks like they are assuming that you know to add egg shell to the stew after it is made.

I'm not against home cooked meals as I have done kibble, home cooked and raw. Like Jaxo8 said... In a growing puppy so much can go wrong if the diet isn't balanced properly. Take your time....do a ton of research, make notes and go slow in your decision.

Personal opinion: Not a fan of the beef stew recipe. No organ meat, Vegetable oil isn't the best choice. Care needs to be taken with cooked oils and meat fat. Hard for a dog to digest and too much can easily cause pancreatitis.

In addition to Karen Segal and Dr. Becker's books other good resources for home cooking/raw are:

www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com

https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/

Ziva 03.07.2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Ok thank you! I don’t know much about homemade diets as I have mostly researched raw. I found a recipe from Dr. Karen Becker and I think I’ll go with that.
Springbrz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page