FDA: Dog Foods & Canine Dilated Cardiomyopathy - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 111Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 207 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

FDA: Dog Foods & Canine Dilated Cardiomyopathy

The FDA issued the following pet food consumer alert today (July 12, 2018):

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is alerting pet owners and veterinary professionals about reports of canine dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) in dogs eating certain pet foods containing peas, lentils, other legume seeds, or potatoes as main ingredients. These reports are unusual because DCM is occurring in breeds not typically genetically prone to the disease. The FDA’s Center for Veterinary Medicine and the Veterinary Laboratory Investigation and Response Network, a collaboration of government and veterinary diagnostic laboratories, are investigating this potential association.

http://truthaboutpetfood.com/fda-investigates-potential-connection-to-diet-and-heart-disease-in-dogs/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 207 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 06:58 PM

I'm glad you posted that. I noticed that the SkeptVet on Facebook had posted it as well.
Momto2GSDs likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 207 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 06:59 PM
Master Member

@Momto2GSDs, I saw that article. It still sounds like there's nothing conclusive??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 207 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 07:03 PM
Crowned Member

There is a strong correlation between the grain free diets and a higher incidence of taurine deficiency causing DCM. Lots of info coming out of Tufts.

The grains were replaced by items with higher protein content so less meat in the food. Less meat = less taurine in the diet. Less taurine = sick or dead animals.

Grain-free. Is. A. Marketing. Ploy.

post #5 of 207 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdluvr View Post
@Momto2GSDs, I saw that article. It still sounds like there's nothing conclusive??

"Diets in cases reported to the FDA frequently list potatoes or multiple legumes such as peas, lentils, other “pulses” (seeds of legumes), and their protein, starch and fiber derivatives early in the ingredient list, indicating that they are main ingredients. Early reports from the veterinary cardiology community indicate that the dogs consistently ate these foods as their primary source of nutrition for time periods ranging from months to years. High levels of legumes or potatoes appear to be more common in diets labeled as “grain-free,” but it is not yet known how these ingredients are linked to cases of DCM. Changes in diet, especially for dogs with DCM, should be made in consultation with a licensed veterinarian."
post #6 of 207 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 07:19 PM
Elite Member

So what dogs need grains? What do you do if you're feeding raw? Or your dog is allergic to all grains?
gsdluvr likes this.

SQUIRREL!
post #7 of 207 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheShepherd View Post
So what dogs need grains? What do you do if you're feeding raw? Or your dog is allergic to all grains?

If you’re feeding raw, your dog is getting taurine. Replacing that meat with peas, etc reduces the taurine.
gsdluvr, Sunsilver and Mudypoz like this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #8 of 207 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 07:42 PM
Elite Member

Oh gotcha, phew! Thanks

SQUIRREL!
post #9 of 207 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post

Grain-free. Is. A. Marketing. Ploy.

While I do not totally disagree with you, didn't the "Pea/Legume" revolution begin for dogs who were sensitive to grains?
post #10 of 207 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 08:08 PM
Crowned Member

http://vetnutrition.tufts.edu/2018/0...c-ingredients/
Interesting article
I don’t think I will feed my dogs corn. I did go to Fromm grain dog food which has lots of grain so not feeling much better. I do supplement with fresh meat and there is tAurine in the food. I did notice max’s nose is less dry from switching to grain free to food with grain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 07-13-2018 at 08:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page