FDA: Dog Foods & Canine Dilated Cardiomyopathy - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 111Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 207 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 10:06 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post

Grain free really started after the melamine scare in dog food a decade ago. But really hit it stride 3-4 years ago. Fir a long time it was only very boutique and expensive brands. Then more mainstream companies jumped on the bandwagon and now every company has a grain free version.

So, now with, I believe, 40% of dogs in US on a grain feee diet, the number of dogs is just greater, so things got noticed.

The FDA is currently collecting cases. But it will be a while before any true study is complete. But the correlation is strong enough fir them to put out a warning.
Which makes you think how far into a study should be done/data collected. May not be the grain free, but the source of ingredients in grain free - what brands are fed and where are these brands sourcing from?

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 207 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 10:15 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post

Grain free really started after the melamine scare in dog food a decade ago. But really hit it stride 3-4 years ago. Fir a long time it was only very boutique and expensive brands. Then more mainstream companies jumped on the bandwagon and now every company has a grain free version.

So, now with, I believe, 40% of dogs in US on a grain feee diet, the number of dogs is just greater, so things got noticed.

The FDA is currently collecting cases. But it will be a while before any true study is complete. But the correlation is strong enough fir them to put out a warning.
Which makes you think how far into a study should be done/data collected. May not be the grain free, but the source of ingredients in grain free - what brands are fed and where are these brands sourcing from?
Exactly. They don't know yet. They only have the correlation. Which we all know does not mean causation. But the common link right now is grain free.

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #43 of 207 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 10:08 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

And another one today. Not every Hallmark needed for the study. But 10 yo mixed breed on grain free, new murmur. DCM. Owner is devastated.

What makes me so mad, none of these owners think they are doing anything wrong. They are trying very hard to do the absolute best fir their dogs. And when you see their face, when you ask what food they are feeding, whenbthe new correlation is brought up. It's heart breaking.

And I wish it was clear cut. I wish that EVERY dog on grain free got DCM(I don't but still) or no dog.

A VAST majority of dogs will NOT develop DCM on grain free/high legume diets. But for those that do...

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 207 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 02:26 AM
Crowned Member

The body is so complex and all so different. It’s very sad. I hope they get to the bottom of all this soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #45 of 207 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

· Please Don’t Panic About the “Grain-Free Thing”
· By Nancy Kerns Whole Dog Journal

· I’ve been getting calls, emails, social media messages, and countless forwarded articles from other websites and publications – perhaps even from you! And the first thing I want to tell you is to take a breath!
· The FDA recently issued a warning (linked here) that it is investigating a possible link between diet and dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) in dogs.
· The warning spread like wildfire through social media channels, but unfortunately, it also rapidly got dumbed down to a ridiculous level; it quickly evolved into something like “grain-free foods cause canine heart disease,” or worse yet, “boutique foods might kill your dog. The FDA characterizes the issue as a “potential association” between diets with very specific attributes (and certainly not ALL grain-free diets) and canine DCM – not a cause.
· Please note that the FDA’s headline did not say anything about “grain-free diets” causing heart problems – though almost all the blog posts and articles in other publications have been saying exactly that. If you read the FDA’s statement, you will see that they said there may be a link between some grain-free diets and canine DCM, but there are also many other things going on that may be responsible for an observed rise in cases of canine DCM.

· Linda Case, long-time animal nutrition expert and author of Dog Food Logic, has written an in-depth article for WDJ’s September issue that goes into lots of detail about what is known about the dietary causes of DCM, including several issues regarding taurine and the amino acids (cysteine and methionine) that dogs use to produce taurine. Please revisit wholedogjournal.com in a couple of weeks to see her article about the connections between diet and DCM in dogs.

Hint: It’s not as simple as the possibility that the diets are lacking the amino acid precursors to taurine.

· https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/bl...s=p_Blog080218

Last edited by Momto2GSDs; 08-02-2018 at 04:48 PM.
post #46 of 207 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 12:38 PM
Crowned Member

Here is a spreadsheet with blood test results and foods they are eating. Pretty interesting.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=582733736
@Magwart - HK is on this list.
Aly and ILikeBigMutts like this.

post #47 of 207 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 03:21 PM
Crowned Member

Jax08, that spreadsheet is absolutely fascinating! Thanks for posting!!!

THK had multiple dogs with deficiency. Not good! It looks like THK feeders *must* include a taurine supplement now, to be safe.

Fromm Four Star Duck & Sweet Potato is another one with more than one dog coming up low. Earthborn and Taste of the Wild have multiples too. Kirkland Nature's Domain too. These are all foods many people on this forum feed.
Jax08 and Aly like this.
post #48 of 207 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 03:35 PM
Crowned Member

Thought you would be interested. NOW, you can be mad at HK.

post #49 of 207 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 04:59 PM
Master Member

Not all the formulas of these brands were on the list. Are we to assume they are OK? Or just not tested?

I have a GI challenged male who can only eat Nature's Domain Turkey sweet potato. He is perfect on it. Only the beef formula was tested.

Last edited by gsdluvr; 08-04-2018 at 05:17 PM. Reason: addition
post #50 of 207 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 05:22 PM
Crowned Member

I wouldn't assume anything just because they are listed here. This is a short list of dogs affected.

The only thing I would assume is that supplementing with taurine would not be a bad idea.
Aly, gsdluvr and Sabis mom like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page