FDA: Dog Foods & Canine Dilated Cardiomyopathy - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 111Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 207 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 06:57 PM
Crowned Member

I'm not seeing the issue with their response.

Quote:
Our complete and balanced diets contain the recommended AAFCO levels of cysteine and methionine, for healthy taurine production in canines. Also, taurine is naturally occurring in our complete recipes, due to our high concentration of animal-based protein.
They've just said their food has sufficient amino acids and the majority of protein is from meat. I'm not sure what else you want from them?

they can't change ingredient overnight, and even if they did, what would be the choice? This will cost a large amount of money to reformulate their diets and change ingredients.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 207 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 07:48 PM
Crowned Member

All they need to say is: "We hear you. We're going to work to offer an limited-ingredient base mix without peas for customers who don't want to wait for the FDA to figure it out. Stay tuned."

I get that they can't do it overnight -- but they can do it eventually, if they want to. I'd far rather hear they're working to offer an alternative, even at greater cost (since we don't know whether the peas are screwing up absorption).

Last edited by Magwart; 07-18-2018 at 07:51 PM.
post #33 of 207 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 09:26 PM
Crowned Member

Maggie - the problem isn't the peas. It's that diets were formulated with lower protein because the manufacturers used more peas and legumes. If their diet meets aafco standards and they are already high in meat content then there shouldn't be any reason to be concerned. No matter which food you choose right now, you are going to have the same response. Your best bet is just to supplement with taurine.

From a product design standpoint, until they have a concrete answer because they only know there is a correlation, they gave the appropriate response. they are waiting for more research instead of giving a knee jerk reaction so if a change has to be made they can do it right. A knee jerk reaction after the contaminated wheat is exactly why this thread exist today.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 207 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 10:38 PM
Crowned Member

I bought some taurine and started supplementing. My frustration is that a base-mix is supposed to mean not having to worry about this stuff.

I hope you're right about absorption. I don't have much confidence that anyone has a clue what's going on yet.
post #35 of 207 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 10:59 AM
Crowned Member

@Magwart

https://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/news/...-heart-disease

"Peas, legumes....as main ingredient"

post #37 of 207 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 03:54 PM
Crowned Member

I appreciate all the reports linked here as I have a dog with pre-existing heart issues who has been on a grain free diet most of her life. I discussed this with her vet and our decision was to do a blood draw and go from there.
Momto2GSDs likes this.
post #38 of 207 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 05:54 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

So here is the weird rub in regards to this issue. Not all dogs diagnosed with DCM on grain free diets were deficient in Taurine. So the cause is still under investigation. It is going to take a while and many tests and many dogs added to the study to get a better handle on what's happening and narrow down the cause or correlation.

As a cardio tech, I personally saw 3 dogs last week with DCM in breeds that are not normally prone to it. They were all on grain free food. But no one knows WHY.

My best recommendation, if you have your dog in grain free because it's the "in thing to do" or because you heard "it's better than food with grain" but your dog does not ACTUALLY need to be on grain free, then find a different diet.
Jax08, Aly, Momto2GSDs and 2 others like this.

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #39 of 207 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 06:22 PM
Crowned Member

@gsdsar - when did this start? Has it been ongoing and the correlation is just now being put together with the food? The grain free fad has been going strong for about 10 years now.

Is there a study ongoing right now?

post #40 of 207 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 09:56 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
@gsdsar - when did this start? Has it been ongoing and the correlation is just now being put together with the food? The grain free fad has been going strong for about 10 years now.

Is there a study ongoing right now?
My docs started asking questions at rounds about 18 months ago. Things specifically linked to specific food. We did not start putting the correlation with grain free until about a year ago. Then they started talking to other cardiologists and then the ball got rolling.

Grain free really started after the melamine scare in dog food a decade ago. But really hit it stride 3-4 years ago. Fir a long time it was only very boutique and expensive brands. Then more mainstream companies jumped on the bandwagon and now every company has a grain free version.

So, now with, I believe, 40% of dogs in US on a grain feee diet, the number of dogs is just greater, so things got noticed.

If you see 1 weird case a year, you think it's a one off. When you start seeing 1 a month you start to pay attention.

The FDA is currently collecting cases. But it will be a while before any true study is complete. But the correlation is strong enough fir them to put out a warning.
Jax08 and Sabis mom like this.

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page