FDA: Dog Foods & Canine Dilated Cardiomyopathy - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 111Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 207 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 11:45 AM
Elite Member

Could it be added taurine isn't super accessible to the dog's body?

I agree grain free is a marketing ploy. It's made companies lots of money. Few dogs are allergic to rice or barley, from what I've read. More likely it is something environmental, or a protein allergy of some kind.
GandalfTheShepherd likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 207 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 12:25 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I do know that Keefer is sensitive to rice. He's been on grain free food for years, not due to any marketing ploys but because of all the food issues with tainted rice protein products that came out of China, and sickened and killed many pets. When Dena was sick I had cooked up a big batch of beef and rice for her, and after she died I still had some in the freezer. Rather than throw it away, I thought I'd add a scoop or two to Keef's meals until it was gone. I know he's fine with beef, he's been on beef based kibble many times over the years. But as soon as I put the beef/rice mixture in his food, his ears blew up. They were red and inflamed, he was scratching at them and obviously miserable. I threw the rest of the beef and rice away and his ears were fine again.

But overall, I don't think grains are evil, if they're in the food I want them to be lower down the list of ingredients, not used as cheap filler to replace meat protein.
Momto2GSDs likes this.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18 *** Keefer 8/25/05
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #23 of 207 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Grain sensitivities are REAL and many dogs have them. My grand dog is one of them....he has been tested.

Book: See Spot Live Longer (Steve Brown/Beth Taylor): Quote: “Recent studies in peer-reviewed veterinary studies worldwide show that the consumption of the carcasses of storage mites that are in the grains used in dog food may be a major contributing factor in symptoms of allergies in dogs.

I believe that "grain free" began as a good idea because there was a "need" for it for these types of dogs.

Let's face it....not everyone wants to or will feed raw, AND many cannot afford the dehydrated or freeze dried or air dried foods so......grain free kibble seemed to be the way to go. The possibility of the peas/legumes causing health problems for our dogs is extremely disturbing.

Kim Kalendar wrote about her concerns with peas/legumes back in 2012!!!!
"Peas and pea protein have become a concern. When questioned about the changes, we are deluged with scientific research provided by highly ranked universities stating the nutritional contents in peas and pea protein. My question is, has there been any research to prove whether or not these nutrients are bio-available in a carnivores digestive tract. Peas belong to the legume family. Legumes are high in phytic acid. Phytates have a tendency to bind calcium, magnesium, and iron in animals and humans.
I am even more concerned with the lectin proteins contained in these ingredients. We have never seen head lines reporting wolf packs or wild cats descending on wheat, corn, or pea fields. There is a good reason for this. Lectin proteins are a plants natural defense. While birds can digest these proteins, humans and carnivores cannot. Lectins are designed by nature to work through the digestive lining in order to break down it’s predators system and disrupt digestion. When undigested protein enters the blood stream, the immune system sets up an auto immune response resulting in allergies. Lectins are sticky, binding proteins. They attach to leptin receptors which regulate carbohydrates into glucose. In time, they can disrupt these receptors and lead to diabetes, obesity, and cardiovascular disease; conditions very prevalent in humans and pets today. Lectins also attach to villi in the digestive tract. They block absorption of nutrients. In time the damage becomes permanent. We see a lot of this in American German Shepherds. " https://truthaboutpetfood.com/disapp...t-food-market/

Last edited by Momto2GSDs; 07-14-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 207 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 04:26 PM
Elite Member

On food allergies:

What every pet owner should know about food allergies ? Clinical Nutrition Service at Cummings School

"None of the currently available tests have been shown to be accurate – that non-allergic dogs test negative and allergic dogs (and only allergic dogs) test positive. In fact, multiple studies (including this one just published) have shown that these kinds of tests are not very helpful in diagnosing food allergies, despite their widespread use for this purpose. Research results presented at a veterinary dermatology (skin) conference even showed that some tests “diagnosed” plain water and stuffed animal “fur” as having food allergies."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 207 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

[QUOTE=Momto2GSDs;9088225] Grain sensitivities are REAL and many dogs have them. My grand dog is one of them....he has been tested. QUOTE]

Not trying to be argumentative here......just explaining.

Dr. Jean Dodds: "Confusing food allergies with food sensitivities (or intolerance's) is a common mistake, not only among dog guardians, but also among veterinary professionals. I often hear experts in the veterinary field refer to food allergies, when in fact they are talking about food sensitivities. This is unfortunate, because as long as the veterinary community continues to confuse these two very different immunological responses, our dogs likely will not receive the correct diagnosis and will continue to suffer.

So, let me be clear. Food sensitivities and food allergies are definitely not the same thing.

The fact is that true food allergies are actually quite rare. If I had to estimate from personal experience, food sensitivities are at least 10 – 15 times more common than food allergies. So, if poor little Buddy is scratching incessantly or has chronic bowel problems, he’s probably suffering from a food sensitivity, rather than a food allergy." https://drjeandoddspethealthresource...y#.W0pgQbgnY2w

My real life experience with grain sensitivities (as with Cassidy's Mom and many others) is:

*feeding grains = red ears, red butt, itching
*stop feeding grains = red ears, butt and itching disappear.

Moms

Last edited by Momto2GSDs; 07-14-2018 at 05:28 PM.
post #26 of 207 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 11:20 AM
Crowned Member

The really interesting thing to me is that the researchers are saying RAW-FED dogs are allegedly suffering from this nutrient-induced heart injury too.

It looks like some commercial raw diets seem to not supplement with taurine (neither does THK)....assuming it will be available in the raw meat that these diets include. I just reached out to Vital Essentials asking for their analysis of how much taurine is actually in their diets -- they sent me the dry-matter analysis for every one of their diets. The beef is 0.22%.

Given the degradation upon grinding, I wonder if it's enough. Hm.

Has anyone done a taurine blood test for your dog, and if so, where did your vet send it out?
post #27 of 207 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 11:43 AM
Crowned Member

@Magwart

Did you see Monica's post on taurine? Her advise was not to waste money testing but just to supplement.

When I created my cats diet years ago I studied taurine intensely. It's not hard to meet requirements using things like heart, sardines. The darker the meat, the more taurine. But it does degrade easily in heat and surface area exposed to air.

post #28 of 207 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 11:55 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskeg View Post
Could it be added taurine isn't super accessible to the dog's body?

I agree grain free is a marketing ploy. It's made companies lots of money. Few dogs are allergic to rice or barley, from what I've read. More likely it is something environmental, or a protein allergy of some kind.
I don't think so? Monica segal has been adding it, and correcting health issues with supplemental taurine for years.

As far as the degradation thru the kibble making process, this wasn't an issue until the grain free fad came about. It wasn't traditionally added to dog food because they don't have the same issues cats have.

And just to be clear....I don't believe anyone said grain allergies weren't real, or that grain free was not the appropriate choice for some animals. What we said was it was a marketing ploy, i.e., to the masses thinking it was the healthier choice when most brands really are not. I don't think there is any reason for anyone to be feel they need to prove allergies exist any more than we have to defend our opinions that it's a fad that's been marketed too. The topic is taurine....And it's a pretty important one just on its own.

post #29 of 207 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 01:15 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
@Magwart

Did you see Monica's post on taurine? Her advise was not to waste money testing but just to supplement.

No, I hadn't but thanks for pointing me to it!

For anyone else who feeds raw or alternative diets, Monica's perspective is interesting:
https://www.monicasegal.com/wordpres...iency-in-dogs/
post #30 of 207 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 04:20 PM
Crowned Member

Here's the Honest Kitchen's response from their founder about concerns regarding their use of peas. To me, it amounts to saying basically <nothing to see here, unless the FDA makes us remove peas, we'll keep using them.> They totally breeze past the effect of air-drying on the meat in their formulas or the suspicions about legumes possibly even interfering with taurine. I'm NOT happy with them.

------------------------------

Customers and Retail Partners,

Last Thursday, the FDA released an announcement that they are investigating a potential link between foods with peas, lentils, other legumes or potatoes as their main ingredients and the suspected increased occurrence of Dilated Cardiomyopathy (DCM).

While we know this announcement may cause alarm, we’re monitoring this issue closely, and we feel you should continue feeding our foods with absolute confidence.

• The FDA press release mentioned there may be a potential link among foods with a high percentage of peas, lentils, other legumes or potatoes as their main ingredients. However, we always formulate diets with meat first, and the majority of the protein in our complete and balanced foods is from animal-based sources. Furthermore, we use legumes or white potatoes in only select recipes and in moderation in our dehydrated foods.

• There is a suspected link between DCM and Taurine levels (an amino acid that is necessary for heart health). Our complete and balanced diets contain the recommended AAFCO levels of cysteine and methionine, for healthy taurine production in canines. Also, taurine is naturally occurring in our complete recipes, due to our high concentration of animal-based protein.

• Based on our staff veterinarian’s comprehensive review of all the currently available research, we don’t have any reason for concern at this time regarding the safety of our diets. Also, the press release mentioned the FDA has already been in contact with a number of brands with diets in question, and we can share that we have NOT been contacted by the FDA to date.

Since 2002, we’ve been producing products that make a meaningful, positive impact in pet health. We incorporate quality, safety, and integrity into our formulation and manufacturing processes in order to ensure that our products provide the best possible nutrition, and we want to assure you that we continue to feel great about feeding our diets to our own pets!

Ultimately, your pet’s health is our number one concern. We are continuing to closely monitor the study from the FDA with our team of veterinary partners, and we will keep you posted as new information becomes available.

Lucy Postins, Founder and Chief Integrity Officer"

Last edited by Magwart; 07-18-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page