FDA: Dog Foods & Canine Dilated Cardiomyopathy - Page 21 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 111Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #201 of 207 (permalink) Unread 02-25-2019, 02:29 PM
Crowned Member

@Sabis mom, have you been following any of the legal news about the Roundup trials in the US? The plaintiffs' expert science (disputed by Bayer) is allegedly showing Roundup can destroy gut flora in humans AND animals. Combine this with the EWG report a few months ago finding significant residue of it in non-organic oats purchased at supermarkets in the U.S. (including Quaker), along with data about the amount of it used on various other food crops that you mentioned....and a picture starts to emerge that isn't good. Not many dog foods use organic grains, tubers, legumes, or other vegetables!
huntergreen likes this.

Last edited by Magwart; 02-25-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 207 (permalink) Unread 02-25-2019, 03:11 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
@Sabis mom, have you been following any of the legal news about the Roundup trials in the US? The plaintiffs' expert science (disputed by Bayer) is allegedly showing Roundup can destroy gut flora in humans AND animals. Combine this with the EWG report a few months ago finding significant residue of it in non-organic oats purchased at supermarkets in the U.S. (including Quaker), along with data about the amount of it used on various other food crops that you mentioned....and a picture starts to emerge that isn't good. Not many dog foods use organic grains, tubers, legumes, or other vegetables!
It's really scary what they are doing to our food across the board.
The reason I was looking up peas in the first place: It has never made sense to me that these are a problem. Or grain for that matter. Think about it, dogs as a species have literally evolved into being eating our leftovers and garbage. So HOW is possible that all of a sudden these grains, legumes and tubers that have always been a part of our diet, are dangerous?
My personal thoughts are that the foods are not the problem it's how they are grown now. And humans suffer to!
One of the HUGE driving forces behind what I am doing now. Why? Because I had SEVEN surgeries to remove tumors and cancerous growths before I turned 34. But when I took control and changed not just what I eat but where it comes from the growths stopped recurring. At 34 my blood pressure was so out of control doctors wanted me hospitalized and did not expect me to make 35. Again a change in DIET, not lifestyle or activity level saved me. Now at 48 my blood pressure is normal and I have been cancer free for over a decade. I take no medication and I still smoke and drink coffee (neither of which I condone). According to my doctor I test better then most 35 year olds across the board.
I do not believe that the ingredients are the problem, I believe the sourcing is.
tc68 and huntergreen like this.
post #203 of 207 (permalink) Unread 02-27-2019, 01:39 AM
Crowned Member

I had voiced the same concerns awhile back as about the pesticides and what was being done to our food. Cancer centers are popping up all over here on the island. Monsanto roundup is not only in USA but worldwide. I do still have trouble understanding why the dog food is not effecting dog’s hearts in other countries. This round up is also found in beer and wine- often organic.
huntergreen and Sabis mom like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #204 of 207 (permalink) Unread 02-27-2019, 01:49 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckzx View Post
I finally read this thread and have joined the Facebook group. My 10 year old GSD has been on Acana his whole life pretty much and doesn't seem to have an issue/symptoms. However, I still am worried. I am thinking of switching to something else.

For those that switched from Acana, what did you switch to? Everyone on the Facebook group recommends Purina Pro Plan...
I switched from Acana Meadowland to Fromm Gold until I make a long term decision.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #205 of 207 (permalink) Unread 03-24-2019, 11:36 PM
Crowned Member

After almost a year on a grain inclusive food I am switching Shadow back.
An extremely small number of dogs affected seems to me to point more at a genetic predisposition. Her food still contains no peas and she has some worrisome symptoms plaguing us. Since the switch she has developed some strange sores or hotspots. The one deeply ear comes and goes. But most troubling is that she has been shedding her guard coat for months now.
post #206 of 207 (permalink) Unread Today, 03:43 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I wonder what would happen if this much emotion, excitement and fear was put into the alarming cancer rate in our dogs. I never had a dog with DCM I have lost my 3 most recent GSDs to hemangiosarcoma and hold my breath every day with Beau who turns 8 t his year. wondering.....hoping not.........

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #207 of 207 (permalink) Unread Today, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJ View Post
I wonder what would happen if this much emotion, excitement and fear was put into the alarming cancer rate in our dogs. I never had a dog with DCM I have lost my 3 most recent GSDs to hemangiosarcoma and hold my breath every day with Beau who turns 8 t his year. wondering.....hoping not.........

I personally think that we are killing our dogs with dog food, over vaccination, flea/tick chemicals and environment in general with a little genetic factor thrown in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in