Another good food (probably) gone - Nestlé buying Champion - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Another good food (probably) gone - Nestlé buying Champion

As the title suggests, news stories are coming out today that Nestlé Purina is in talks to purchase Champion Pet Foods - the manufacturer of Orijen and Acana.

Very disappointing news, in my opinion. Fewer and fewer good pet food companies left every year. I guess I switched away from Orijen at the right time.

Tom
Omen v Wolfstraum
Jasmine Katie v Doolanshaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 12:34 PM
Master Member

UGH! Just got my first box of Honest Kitchen to try out. If it goes well Acana just lost a long time customer.

Please don't litter. Neuter your pets!

Quinn, Mar. 8/07 - Dec. 13/18, my best boy
Shadow, 1995-2007, always in my heart
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 12:51 PM
Crowned Member

Tom, if you want to stick with kibble, look into RAWZ -- it's about the same price-point as Orijen:
RAWZ

Some key points;

-lower heat processing
-no rendered meals OR rendered fats
-dehydrated or freeze-dried meats to concentrate protein
-ingredient transparency (country of origin identified on the website for all ingredients -- even each vitamin)
-human grade ingredients, made in a human-food certified facility (like THK)
-95% grass-fed, hormone-free, antibiotic-free, cage-free meats

The goal was to make a kibble that was as close to a raw diet as they could get. The Scott family are behind this food--they know what they're doing and aren't jonny-come-lately types who are learning as they go. They're the original founders of Wellness/OMH back in the 1960s, which was a fantastic food before they sold it and gave up control of it. They're people known for integrity in the pet food world. Them getting back into the business is a good thing -- and they're donating 100% of profits from Rawz.

I haven't fed it, but it's at the top of my list (along with Open Farm, out of Canada), if we ever need to transition my two kibble-fed ones off of Fromm.

Last edited by Magwart; 07-02-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 01:36 PM
Master Member

Wow! That is too bad I personally avoid any brands from big name companies. I've been using Orjen as part of the rotation for my cats, but looks like I will need to find something else. With Purina in charge I would not trust the quality at all.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Tom, if you want to stick with kibble, look into RAWZ -- it's about the same price-point as Orijen:
RAWZ

Some key points;

-lower heat processing
-no rendered meals OR rendered fats
-dehydrated or freeze-dried meats to concentrate protein
-ingredient transparency (country of origin identified on the website for all ingredients -- even each vitamin)
-human grade ingredients, made in a human-food certified facility (like THK)
-95% grass-fed, hormone-free, antibiotic-free, cage-free meats

The goal was to make a kibble that was as close to a raw diet as they could get. The Scott family are behind this food--they know what they're doing and aren't jonny-come-lately types who are learning as they go. They're the original founders of Wellness/OMH back in the 1960s, which was a fantastic food before they sold it and gave up control of it. They're people known for integrity in the pet food world. Them getting back into the business is a good thing -- and they're donating 100% of profits from Rawz.

I haven't fed it, but it's at the top of my list (along with Open Farm, out of Canada), if we ever need to transition my two kibble-fed ones off of Fromm.
Definitely sounds like a good food. I'll have to look into it. I switched from Orijen to Victor recently (Hi-Pro Plus formula) and have been happy with it so far.

Tom
Omen v Wolfstraum
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 05:14 PM
Elite Member

ORIJEN Dog and Cat Food
25 mins ·
While we have certainly seen the speculation in media reports about Champion Petfoods’ future, we hope you can appreciate that it is our policy to never comment on rumours or speculation in the market. Rumours about Champion being sold have been circulating over the past few years and will continue for as long we deliver on our promise to make the world’s best pet food under our ACANA and ORIJEN brands.

Champion Petfoods continues to be privately held with investment from our Canadian partner, Bedford Capital, and our vision remains—build trust with Pet Lovers everywhere. We are focused every day on delivering on our commitment to provide our customers with the world’s best pet food and the highest quality service.

https://www.facebook.com/ORIJENPetFo...wl38dc&fref=nf
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 05:23 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr16 View Post
ORIJEN Dog and Cat Food
25 mins ·
While we have certainly seen the speculation in media reports about Champion Petfoods’ future, we hope you can appreciate that it is our policy to never comment on rumours or speculation in the market. Rumours about Champion being sold have been circulating over the past few years and will continue for as long we deliver on our promise to make the world’s best pet food under our ACANA and ORIJEN brands.

Champion Petfoods continues to be privately held with investment from our Canadian partner, Bedford Capital, and our vision remains—build trust with Pet Lovers everywhere. We are focused every day on delivering on our commitment to provide our customers with the world’s best pet food and the highest quality service.

Which does not deny that a sale is in the works.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I should have linked the source in my original post, but read the story and posted about it at work this morning and didn't have time. Here's the story ... a pretty reputable source.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nestle-...ion-1530531553

Honestly, I hope they don't make a deal. In my opinion, Orijen and Acana are two of the best kibble foods on the market today. It would be a shame to see them ruined by corporate greed. Every time I read about another good, privately owned manufacturer selling out I think back to what happened to Natura after they were bought out by Proctor & Gamble - literally within months they were part of a massive recall, the ingredients all changed and the food got worse and worse, while the price remained the same, or went up. It's always, unfortunately, the same story - original owner swears nothing will change and they will retain full control even after ownership changes ... corporate lies.
angelas likes this.

Tom
Omen v Wolfstraum
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 06:34 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr16 View Post
ORIJEN Dog and Cat Food
25 mins ·

this is true --- there have been rumours since the early days --

the experience seems to be big business acquires , and if they can't they batter till the desired portfolio owner is bankrupt and exhausted - then they come in for the scoop and acquire for a fraction .

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 09:33 PM
Crowned Member

Ironic that this is surfacing on the heels of the class action lawsuit about the heavy metal disclosure "lies" brought forth by some unknown company who tested and dumped the results publically 2 weeks before a major trade show.
Now who could have a lab and the bank account to do these tests and/or flub them?

My fave salad dressings are Renee's (greek, ceasar, rancg, honey mustard). All found in the fresh produce section. Not shelf stable. About a year ago or so, started disappearing off the shelf. No explaination from grocery stores. I googled and emailed "Renee's"

Got a reply from Kraft. 2 actually. The first had no idea what dressing I was talking about. The second, handed line of bull with no explanation as to when coming back to shelves.
The product was independently owned. Proud. Started super small company. worked way up.
Now there are ad's that Renee's is proud to "expire" (vs. shelf stable warm dressings)...except...the expiry is now into next year, not couple months like before.

Greed always seems to win
carmspack and Sabis mom like this.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page