Increasing calories & loose stools; how to put on weight? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Question Increasing calories & loose stools; how to put on weight?

Hi yall,
Things have been going well with Gandalf, after his ER visit for whatever reason he has had lots of energy again and his appetite is back (could it have been the B12 shot?). We've been going for runs instead of hikes in the woods, right now we're running 4 miles a day on top of our daily walks, I'm letting him set the pace and distance. As soon as he starts to lag behind we head back home. Also been taking rest days for recovery . However, since our daily runs he has been losing weight and is starting to look too thin to me and hes acting hungry all the time. I'd like to put some more meat on him but as soon as I up his food his stools get loose. I want to start logging more miles, and he has been pushing it too. Is there any high calorie foods I can give him (sensitive stomach, beef products have been my go to...) ? He won't touch an egg anymore. I've tried hard boiled, soft boiled, raw, scrambled, etc. he doesn't like them anymore. I've also started incorporating a little high calorie kibble into his meals but he can only handle 3/4 of a cup, as soon as I up it anymore than that we get loose stools again. Sensitives for him are chicken, all fish & fish products, sweet potatoes, venison, pork, few other things I can't remember right now... He is still getting his instinct raw beef for the rest of his meals.
Thanks!
Attached Images

SQUIRREL!

Last edited by GandalfTheShepherd; 06-28-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 01:02 PM

What about a high fat puppy supplement like this?
https://www.chewy.com/k9-power-puppy...onal/dp/145680

I'm not sure if it has anything he is sensitive to in it. I didn't see any chicken products in it. A lot of the high fat supplements I looked at on chewy has some kind of fish or chicken products in it.

"The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them." Isaiah 11:6
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 01:10 PM

Sheba likes roast pork; its quite high in calories, even more than beef. (a cup of chopped-up pork is about 365 calories) We too are always trying to get Sheba to eat enough, as she just does not get excited about food like other dogs do. So when the pork roasts go on sale we load up our freezer. We also keep a large supply of cooked beef patties in the deep freeze, as this too is a quick-and-easy way to add some much-needed calories... 3 medium-sized burger patties are about 510 calories. Wieners are a tasty snack, at about 90 calories each, and if/when Sheba goes completely off her food, there's always the canned corn beef quick-fix, which has a whopping 780 cals per small can! Sure, in a perfect world our doggies would be good with just kibble/canned, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

OUR DOGS:
purebred GSD - Sheba
purebred Shih Tzu - Chrissy
mixed Maltese/Scottish Terrier - Bubba
purebred GSD - Chrissy
purebred Toy Poodle - Freeway
purebred Toy Poodle - Benji
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

No milk, pork or corn unfortunately .. I like the hot dog idea! They make all beef dogs and he enjoys them.

SQUIRREL!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheShepherd View Post
No milk, pork or corn unfortunately ..
Just to clarify, when I wrote "canned corn beef" I meant to write "canned corned beef"; it has no actual corn in it, but is loaded with calories, and on more than one occasion has saved Sheba from fading away to nothing!

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

OUR DOGS:
purebred GSD - Sheba
purebred GSD - Chrissy
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Ooh gotcha I have never heard of either lol! What all is in it? Thanks for the help 🙂!

SQUIRREL!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 07:58 PM
Crowned Member

My boy has a similar issue. Once tracking and dock diving season starts, he tends to turn into a rack of ribs. Too much fat or too much food over all will give him loose stools.

Here is my approach for what it's worth. I don't do anything sudden. When I see him looking skinny like that it's hard not to want to throw him an extra serving or topper for some calories. But I've learned that with him I have to aim for the gradual long term approach. I make adjustments more slowly in smaller increments over time. So I keep an overview in my head that he was really active this week and I'm trying to give him a little extra this week vs. today.

It seems to work for him. PLus he seems to have a daily/meal cutoff of about how much he is hungry for and then he is done. Maybe he sort of intuitively knows too big a meal will make him sick, I don't know. So I never try to give him tasty stuff to encourage him to eat more because that always comes back to bite us. When he gets thin, he gets hungry and he cleans his bowl, and I just keep adding a LITTLE bit extra until it all balances out.

He had to go to the vet today for a red eye and I found out he gained back 2 lbs he lost when dock season started this year so I'm happy. He's honestly a bit more thin than I would like but at 85 lb he looks okay. He was at 83 and he looked thin. Even at 85 I see his ribs more than I like to but he's alright. the other thing I decided is better for him to be leaner than I like but with healthy stools. The weight he's ht now is not a health problem but chronic loose stools are.

And lastly, I do believe any athletic endeavor depends on the health of the dog---so if Gandalf's stomach problems keep him from maintaining at this level of activity, then I'd reduce his activity some.

My dog isn't super high energy so some days if he tracks or swims he doesn't go for a walk that day and he's fine with that and less calories out overall.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheShepherd View Post
Ooh gotcha I have never heard of either lol! What all is in it? Thanks for the help 🙂!
It's just cured beef in a can. It has salt added to it, so not something to feed daily, but it has certainly helped Sheba when she has gone completely off her food.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

OUR DOGS:
purebred GSD - Sheba
purebred GSD - Chrissy
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 09:05 PM
Elite Member

I had a similar issue with mine when he was growing. I was feeding 6-7 cups of food, he was still very thin. And he was getting lose stools. I changed to Dr. Tim's Momentum. Went down to I think 5 cups, and as he has gotten older have reduced more. I think it is one of the best foods out there. Have not had any issues with it. Each cup delivers 588 kcals of high quality animal protein. I think its 93% animal protein. And, you can call/email and talk to Dr. Tim himself. Can you do that with other companies :-)

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1976E View Post
I had a similar issue with mine when he was growing. I was feeding 6-7 cups of food, he was still very thin. And he was getting lose stools. I changed to Dr. Tim's Momentum. Went down to I think 5 cups, and as he has gotten older have reduced more. I think it is one of the best foods out there. Have not had any issues with it. Each cup delivers 588 kcals of high quality animal protein. I think its 93% animal protein. And, you can call/email and talk to Dr. Tim himself. Can you do that with other companies :-)
Glad it worked for you but it wouldnt for us.. chicken meal is the #1 ingredient. I've seen much better foods honestly overall for that price. We're really having a hard time finding something high calorie that he isn't allergic to. So far he can only tolerate a 3/4 cup of Zignature Kangroo protein. Not the best food in my opinion but our only option right now if we want to go cheap (well cheaper than commercial raw anyways)... he gets 2lbs of raw beef daily as well. I've tried upping his raw beef and loose stools still result.

SQUIRREL!

Last edited by GandalfTheShepherd; 06-28-2018 at 09:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page