mixing 1/3 raw meat and 2/3 kibble - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2018, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

mixing 1/3 raw meat and 2/3 kibble

right now i am mixing 1/3 raw and 2/3 kibble

Samuel is 18weeks old, the kibble i'm using is Wellnes Core Puppy Chow for Large Breed.

the raw meat is either ground chicken or ground beef. i also add "chicken stock" broth to his bowl which helps the raw meat mix in with the kibble.

two or three times a week i will add in one egg to either his breakfast or diner.

two or three times a week i will add in some cottage cheese to either his breakfast or diner.

admittedly he is over weight, so i'm planning to cut back on the amount of kibble (and use a 50/50 raw kibble mix) until he leans out

i'm also planning to start switching him over to an Adult Large Breed Kibble.

is there anything wrong or missing from his dietary needs by feeding him a mix of raw meat and kibble?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2018, 11:45 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atjurhs View Post
right now i am mixing 1/3 raw and

2/3 kibble = Samuel is 18weeks old, the kibble i'm using is Wellnes Core Puppy Chow for Large Breed. If you are not feeding the recommended amount of kibble for your pup, he is not getting correct vitamins and minerals and could mean trouble down the road. Using plain ground meat does NOT have all of the essential nutrients that a puppy needs.

the raw meat is either ground chicken or ground beef. i also add "chicken stock" broth to his bowl which helps the raw meat mix in with the kibble.

is there anything wrong or missing from his dietary needs by feeding him a mix of raw meat and kibble?
Yes,
The raw meat you are using is not balanced with appropriate vitamins and minerals. You need to find and use a commercially prepared BALANCED diet like one below for your pup to get the nutrition he needs. Once you decide on a balanced raw food, I would give a raw meal separate from the kibble meal.
IF you are going to mix the kibble and raw, first soak the kibble in the broth for a time, then add the BALANCED raw meat, then feed. Any leftover should be kept in the frig until the next feeding.
Bravo: Discover Balance Raw Diet | Beef Frozen Raw Dog Food Diet - Bravo Pet Food Find a store: Find a Bravo Retailer - Bravo Pet Food NOTE Feeding Guide Tab on the page.

Northwest Naturals: Beef - Northwest Naturals Find a store: Store LocatorFeeding Calculator:Feeding Calculator - Northwest Naturals

Primal: Complete Raw Diets for Pets: Canine Beef Formula Find a store: Primal Pet Foods: Store LocatorPronto is smaller pieces: http://www.primalpetfoods.com/product/detail/c/15/id/58NOTE: After filling in the questions, use the reference for POUNDS or CUPS (this is Raw Food) in the feeding calculator: http://www.primalpetfoods.com/education/calc

The Honest Kitchen has a nutritionally appropriate dehydrated "Base Mix" to which you can add plain ground meat, if you want to get away from the Wellness kibble. https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/dog-food/base-mix

The other items for toppings are fine.

Hope this helps!
Moms
Old 05-11-2018, 11:47 AM
Crowned Member

At 18 weeks I would prefer to see a puppy fed three times a day. I have always fed raw food with kibble, and my usual approach is to replace the mid meal with a chicken quarter so puppy is getting bones, meat and fat. In addition I feed heart, kidneys, liver and necks when I get them as well as whatever berries or fruit/veggies I can get. All my dogs liked carrots, and I use the large ends for teething and chews a lot. Blueberries are good for everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2018, 12:00 PM
Crowned Member

You now have 1/3 of a growing puppies diet completely unbalanced. Just buy a commercial raw.

SG Seger vom Sitz vd Hose, IPO3, AD
G Faren vom Warkonhaus, Monkey in Training
Old 05-11-2018, 12:11 PM
Crowned Member

OP, it may help to understand why people worry about puppy nutrition so much: there's not much room for error. Screwing up the nutrition during growth can have permanent bad effects on the skeleton for life -- even creating deformities that can't be fixed.

You're probably thinking "but I'm buying good kibble, so how could I screw up his nutrition by just adding some meat to it?" Here's how:

Large breed puppy foods are formulated with very specific calcium/phosphorus, ash, protein, and fat ratios for slow, steady growth. Meat adds phosphorus. So if you take a balanced kibble and then add a bunch of meat (= a lot more phosphorus), you're throwing off the critical calcium/phosphorus balance that the kibble was designed to achieve. Now it is no longer balanced for optimal large breed growth!

If you don't want to put him on commercial raw because it's so expensive, and you really want to do it yourself, then as a novice, you really should be using NRC guidelines and a spreadsheet tracking micronutrients for your puppy --there are some experts here who've been doing it so many years that they don't need to do that, but for regular folks just learning, it's pretty important.

Monica Segal (a respected nutritionist and author) will do consultations to come up with a balanced puppy formula if you want homemade that complies with NRC guidelines -- monicasegal.com, but it costs about $400:
https://www.monicasegal.com/Puppy_Consultation.html
LuvShepherds and GypsyGhost like this.

Last edited by Magwart; 05-11-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

@ Momto, i didn't know there is such a thing as "commercially available balanced raw meat". i've just been getting Samuel's raw meat from the local grocery store or walmart and mashing it up to mix in the kibble with the broth.

@ Jax08, Samuel is 18weeks and weighs 33/34 lbs. on the Purina Body Contion Chart he's at least a 5/6, so i don't understand how he could be a 1/3 of a growing puppies diet

@ Sabis, i too would like to feed him 3 times a day, but i live alone and work an 8 hr job, so 2x a day is all i can do

@ Magwart, thanks for the advice! i live alone and work all day so i can't do the total raw meat diet would it help any if i added a little calcium to the mix or still unbalanced

hmm, i'll have to check into the "commercially available balanced raw meat" and mix that with his kibble? otherwise have him first finish his kibble and then later for a "treat" give him some raw meat?

obviously i want a healthy pup, but i also thought some raw meat was good for carnivores

Last edited by atjurhs; 05-11-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:41 PM
Crowned Member

I have no idea how you misread my post

You took 1/3 of his diet that was a complete and balanced food and replaced it with just meat. 1/3 of his diet is now NOT balanced. You are missing all sorts of vitamins and minerals. Calcium, zinc, manganese, iodine, and about 20 others.

Just buy a commercial raw if you want to partially feed raw.

SG Seger vom Sitz vd Hose, IPO3, AD
G Faren vom Warkonhaus, Monkey in Training
Old 05-11-2018, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

yep yep

i just found a couple of local feed stores that between them carry the Primal, Bravo, and Home Kitchen brands of "commercially available balanced raw meat".

so i think i will turn the remaining ground beef into hamburgers for me and finish out the remaining ground chicken (7ounces worth) by mixing it in with one of the above...

i've never fed "commercially available balanced raw meat" before so i should probably do my homework on it, but given that you guys have got 10k posts between you, i think i could consider you as "experts"

it still couldn't hurt to give him an egg or a couple Tbls. of cottage cheese once in a while, right? and Samuel loves him, loves him, loves him, some smashed up chicken necks. i guess those will become "healthy treats"
Old 05-11-2018, 01:35 PM
Crowned Member

Just make sure it's labeled as appropriate for puppies or "all life stages" -- not all commercial raw is.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

gotcha!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in