1 year old larger female losing weight - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fodder

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

1 year old larger female losing weight

Hello

My female german shepherd Nova has always been fairly large for her age but very slender. At 9 months she weight a little over 80 pounds. But maintained a very skinny frame and hips. She is now 13 months old and has actually lost a little weight. Her waist is slim and can see her ribs, but feels like alot of skin to grow into. I feed her 5 cups of victor grain free dog food a day plus treats and carrots. I used to think she was growing to fast but now am worried shes too skinny? Should i feed her more? 5+ cups seems like a good amount and don't want her to get fat. Do they usually lose weight at this age? We live in montana and hike often, she gets an average amount of exercise. Just not sure if I'm starving her or she's begging for a reason. Dont mind those adorable floppy ears. They go up and down. Her momma had a floppy one

Thanks!
Kayla
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0430181916_1525138029207.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	497601   Click image for larger version

Name:	0430181915a_1525138047526.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	497609   Click image for larger version

Name:	180429_143256_COLLAGE-1_1525138098816.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	497617   Click image for larger version

Name:	0414181221a_HDR_1525138141468.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	497625  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 11:20 PM

She looks OK to me... although I prefer an athletically lean dog, skinny (I honestly wouldn’t even call her skinny) 1yr olds rarely bother me. That said, losing weight is a concern (how much are we talking??).

I would not increase her food ration. I would have her cleared medically, then explore diets that are higher in protein/fats/calories. My boys are quite a bit smaller than your girl, but I’ve always thought of 3 cups as the perfect amount.... so I aim for foods that can meet their needs within that amount.

Very pretty dog btw. I love her coloring!
Femfa likes this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!

Last edited by Fodder; 04-30-2018 at 11:23 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 11:59 PM
Master Member

If your dog is large to begin with, keeping them lean is the best possible thing for them. My girl is a bit bigger than average, and I often get comments on how she's too skinny from the well-to-do pet owner. Realistically, she's a great weight. Your dog's waist line looks very similar to mine, and she's a healthy weight for her size. I agree with Fodder about everything else - if losing weight is rapid or immediate with no known cause (no increase in exercise or activity/reduction in eating), then I would have her checked out medically and then consider a higher caloric content food.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 06:13 PM
Master Member

I don't want to alarm you but it was at about that age that my previous pup was diagnosed with EPI when he lost 1/3 of his weight. He went from 80lbs to 55lbs in a short period of time. (Eventually he was put on life long medication that got him up to a lean 98lbs.) So we need more info from you than simply she is losing weight. How much? 5 to 10 lbs? Or much more? I'm not saying it could be EPI, but you need to talk to your vet. Significant weight loss is of concern. Minor 5 to 10 lbs, not so much but you should still monitor it. Either way, you should probably let your vet know. Remember, we're not vets here, and we don't know the whole story. All we can do is make guesses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in