Looking for food recommendation - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Looking for food recommendation

Hello everyone,

We’ve recently adopted a 5 year old Czech Working Line GS sweet girl. She had been fed Royal Canine for GSD, so we figured we will stick with what she was used to. She became a member of our family a month ago, and this is the second time now that she had a bad bout with diarrhea, mucusy kind. The first time it happened, I didn’t think much of it. But now a second time within a month I am thinking it might be food related? She drinks healthy amounts of water, and she has been fed plain white rice with chicken breast meat during this icky time on her poor stomach. She has not eaten anything outside, we keep a close eye on her, she is up to date with all vaccinations and been given a clean bill of health by vet a month ago. How is the Royal Canine brand compared in general, is it good, does it have probiotics and good nutrients? I am sorry if asking silly questions, just want to get opinions/ideas from others. Price is not an issue for food, I would not blink twice at cost as long as I knew what I feed her is good and nutritious. We also have a 2nd kid, a 12 year old Labrador who eats Halo Holistic brand. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 03:47 AM
Master Member

Hello, sorry to hear your pup is having bowel issues! I have a 10 month-old diet-sensitive pup whom I've had since he was 7 1/2 weeks. I've had my share of dog diarrhea due to finding the correct diet for my dog (went to the vet twice for diarrhea). Royal Canin is nothing but fillers, it's one of those company who masters marketing. If you look at the ingredients, they barely have 'Chicken' or 'Chicken Meal' they are all 'Chicken-by-product' 'corn meal' 'soymeal' etc., which ACTUALLY brings them to the same quality as brands such as Pedigree or Puppy Chow, BIG NO-NO! What you wanna look for is Large Breed Puppy/All Life Stages food (although at your pup's age, I'd aim for LB puppy). Look for No Corn No Wheat No Soy. Here are some that I have tried on my pup: Canidae All Life Stages, Diamond Naturals LBP, Iams LBP (This one has corn wheat and soy but I bought it cos it had a discount), American Journey Salmon LB, and Pro Pac LBP. Out of those, the best ones are def Canidae and Pro Pac. His stools are solid, coat is shiny, teeth are strong and clean, he's healthy as can be. And those brands are all under $50 for 30-40lb a bag! I don't understand why people would buy a bag for $50 or more for the same quality ingredients! Stay away from Royal Canin, Hill's, Eukanuba, Purina, they're just big companies who master marketing like I said. I highly recommend Pro Pac, and after that, Canidae and American Journey. Try ordering from www.chewy.com, super convenient! Hope this helps.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 03:49 AM
Master Member

Sorry I misread! I thought it was 5 months old not year! Based on my experience with my previous dog, again, Canidae and Pro Pac large breed (adult/all life stages). American Journey didn't exist yet then, but if you want, give it a go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGloomy View Post
Sorry I misread! I thought it was 5 months old not year! Based on my experience with my previous dog, again, Canidae and Pro Pac large breed (adult/all life stages). American Journey didn't exist yet then, but if you want, give it a go.
Thank you very much for recommending, will look into these!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 04:09 AM
Master Member

Good luck and keep us updated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page