Best Dry Food for Food Sensitivities - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By carmspack

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Best Dry Food for Food Sensitivities

Hi there,

Our 6 year old GSD has been informally diagnosed with food sensitivities based on various skin issues she's had and inflammation that hasn't allowed certain skin wounds to heal properly. Our vet suggested a hypoallergetic diet (i.e. royal canine, hills, science diet) but we have no idea which option to go with. And if we should go fully hydrologized protein or limited protein (rabbit, lamb, duck, etc).

Does anyone have any recommendations?

On a side note, we have had her for 1 year now, she was on Eukenuba with the breeder since she was a puppy, we tried to switch her to RAW about 8 months ago (our 8 year old has been on raw since 10 months and is in fantastic health) but she had constant diarrhea for about 4 weeks although she loved the taste so we put her on high quality grain free chicken protein, itching started, tried beef and salmon, and still the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 02:37 PM
Crowned Member

take a step to healing the problem

probiotics -- heal leaky gut , which is at the root of most sensitivities
Momto2GSDs likes this.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 03:06 PM
Crowned Member

Personally, I would not feed any of the items the vet recommended.

These are a few items in dog food AND treats that dogs are sensitive to: Chicken Items (Meat, Meal, Fat, Eggs, Cartilage) Grains of all kinds (including oatmeal and oatmeal shampoo!), even some of the "Non-Gluten" grains, Lentils/Pea items, Potatoes, Flax seed or oil, certain Fish and Yeast supplements. So read the ingredient list VERY carefully.

Did the raw you were feeding contain high fat content or a lot of skin from chicken? That sets a lot of GSD's off until they can be eased into the amount of fat they eat.

If your budget would allow, Ziwi Peak may be an answer for you:

ZIWI PEAK:
"Air Dried Food"
ZiwiPeak Cuisine
(condensed info)
ZiwiPeak pet food is a complete, natural balanced real-meat diet prepared with care in New Zealand.
All of our natural ingredients are sourced from the green, free range farms and blue, pristine oceans of New Zealand. The twin stage process eliminates pathogenic bacteria, such as e.coli, salmonella and listeria, while protecting the natural nutrition of our ingredients. As a further safety step, our products are mandatory tested and only released for sale after approval by the New Zealand government's regulatory authorities.
Air-drying is a technique that has been used for centuries to naturally preserve meats. Our modern method stays true to this artisan approach, while eliminating the need for artificial preservatives, salts, sugars or glycerines. Our slow, gentle, twin-stage air-drying process crafts a food that is as nutrient-dense and digestible as a completely raw diet but safe, clean to handle and can store for up to 21 months.

Example:
Beef: A complete, balance diet of ranch raised beef meat and organs, this protein rich meal features delicious red meat and nutrient dense organs. It also includes New Zealand green-lipped mussels, a natural source of chondroitin for joint support, and herbs, vitamins and minerals, making it suitable for all breeds and life stages.

Here is their site for info (they do not sell it there) : https://www.ziwipets.com/ziwi-difference

You can save a little $$ if you use auto shipping from Only Natural Pet: https://www.onlynaturalpet.com/produ...od/311000.aspx

A simple (Peer Reviewed) Saliva test, called NutriScan, that is done at home, can be extremely helpful!
Nutriscan is the only clinically predictable diagnostic test for dogs, cats and horses to identify the commonly seen food intolerances and sensitivities in saliva. It is not a test for the rarely seen true allergies to foods. The Nutriscan test is patent protected in the United States and internationally.
This test measures both IgA (secretory immunity) and IgM (primary immune response) antibodies to 24 selected foods in the saliva of dogs and cats, and 22 selected foods in the saliva of horses. High antibody levels indicate that the animal has a food sensitivity and intolerance to that food or foods. Cost $289.00 to order NutriScan Test Kit: Order NutriScan

This test measures antibodies to certain foods in dog saliva. High antibody levels indicate that the dog has a food sensitivity and intolerance to that food or foods. Food intolerance or sensitivity is actually quite common whereas food allergy is rare. In fact, food intolerance is the third most common sensitivity condition in dogs and often can be easily remedied with a change in diet.Dr. Jean Dodds, NutriScan tests for the twenty most commonly ingested foods by dogs to provide you with specific results as to your dog's food intolerances or sensitivities. Since it is a salivary test, you have the convenience to complete the test at home or at your veterinarian’s office. Best of all, you can have the results in approximately two weeks to help you put your dog on the right diet.
Remember, NutriScan is novel and patented and is not testing for food allergies, but rather tests for food sensitivities and intolerance. These are different body immune responses. Food allergy is a more immediate reaction mediated by production of IgE and IgG antibodies. Food sensitivity and intolerance, by contrast, measures a more delayed body response to offending foods by measuring production of IgA and IgM antibodies primarily in mucosal secretions from the bowel.”
Here is what they test for: turkey, rabbit, venison, potato, eggs, pork, soy, salmon, quinoa, millet, white fish, lentil, milk, soy, beef, wheat, oatmeal, lamb, sweet potato, barley, corn, rice, chicken, peanuts, and duck.

Below are Human Ingredient ProBiotics/Enzymes made for dogs:
Sunday Sundae; https://feedsentials.com/ (click on “Contact Email" and use the email to order) This one is my favorite!
Gut Sense : http://dr-dobias-natural-healing-usa...ducts/gutsense
Digest All Plus: https://www.thewholisticpet.com/dog/...ll-plustm.html

Moms

Last edited by Momto2GSDs; 04-26-2018 at 03:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 03:12 PM

Neither of our GSDs have food sensitivities, but our schnauzer has chronic yeast all over him. Or, at least he did until we switched to Diamond Naturals. If we feed anything with corn in it, he will break out. If we stick to corn free, he is good to go.

2 GSD's - General and Arrow
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 03:14 PM
Crowned Member

This is another food to consider.
Again, more expensive than kibble but a MUCH better alternative for a dog with problems like this.

The Honest Kitchen Dehydrated Food(not kibble): LOVE: https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/love Store Locator: Where to Buy Honest Kitchen - Honest Kitchen Stores | The Honest Kitchen A 10# box RE-hydrates to about 35 pounds of food, but you feed more than kibble because it is real food.
The Honest Kitchen Dehydrated food is 100% Human Food and is the only pet food in the USA that the FDA legally allows to use the words “Human Food” on their advertising and packaging. (The Honest Kitchen blends their foods in a human facility that also makes bakery mixes and breakfast cereals. For this reason, they need to abide by the same strict standards for record-keeping, safety and cleanliness that all human foods must meet. The company qualifies for the label of human grade dog food according to the FDA regulations, because they meet all the required standards.)

They also have a Non- Grain BASE MIX to which you add your own raw or cooked meat. https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/dog-food/base-mix

Moms
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 03:46 PM
Crowned Member

I second Ziwipeak and Sunday Sundae and also add Honest Kitchen. I have 1 old dog with IBD in basically total remission on a combo of HK and Ziwi. (she is also on meds so it isnt just the food, but i do believe she cannot tolerate kibble since her problems resolved on a home cooked diet snd returned when i put her back on limited ingredient kibble)

My younger dog has been trying the HK/Ziwi combo too, he likes it and so far agreeing with him.

Neither dog seems to really hold weight on HK alone which is why I add the ziwi, it is calorie dense. Plus I feel like if they are eating Ziwi every day I don't have to think about supplementing glucosamine and omega threes because I think it is all in there.

Summer will be the big test for the younger one. He gets skinny very easy when he is tracking and dock diving and my past attempts to keep weight on him upset his balance and resulted in loose stools so crossing my fingers I have a better formula this year.

Last edited by Thecowboysgirl; 04-26-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page