Am I overfeeding - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Am I overfeeding

Am I overfeeding roxi? She eats 3 times a day, 1 1/2 c-2c at breakfast 3/4-1c at lunch and 1 1-2c for dinner ( sometimes she skips lunch) I'm asking cause she is having diarrhea oh and she gets into the other dogs food bowl - same brand but roxi gets puppy food. She plays and chews outside. She is not dehydrated drinks plenty of water very active she did throw up 1x one night and 1x the next night but that was it ( definitely overate those days) it's been so long since we have had a puppy I don't remember what's normal lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 01:01 AM
Crowned Member

What brand do you feed? It seems like a lot. If she is not overweight, it must be food with a lot of bulk that you scoop up basically. How many times a day does she poop?
Sabis mom likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 01:02 AM
Crowned Member

What kind of food? How much does she weigh and how old?

Yes overfeeding will cause diarrhea, and she should not be eating another pets food. How is she getting access? If your other dog is not eating there should not be food down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Roxi is 4 months old 23.4 pounds ( not purebred) she eats breakfast than goes outside and drives our 10yr old dog crazy lol our 7 yr old dog is a grazer so we leave her bowl down all day( indoors) roxi potties at least 2x a day she comes in and out as she pleases right now she gets purina puppy chow ( looking for a new job) she does get table scraps once in a while - chicken mostly
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 02:11 AM
Crowned Member

I think your feeding instructions say two cups a day. I get the broke thing, been there done that but I think the Walmart food is about the same price and a bit better quality.
Your older dog grazing -I know you didn't ask so feel free to tell me to shut it, but it should be getting specified meals. As they age it becomes more important to monitor food intake versus condition. As they age weight gain or loss could signal serious issues and leaving food often indicates real problems.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

I completely understand that, Oreo is still the same weight as when she was spayed 5 yrs ago 😊 She fluctuates between 10.4-10.7 pounds shaved 11 with full coat 😊
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

Basically roxi gets about 4c a day sometimes 3 if she can keep the 10 yr old playing
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 02:38 AM
Crowned Member

So yes you are feeding too much. 3 meals a day is perfect for her age just cut the amount.
I think that other food is natures variety? not sure but it's about the same price point and better food.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

Here in Fresno anyways a 30lb bad of purina is 20 and natures variety i haven't even seen 😶 Although I did find a better brand for when my income is better 😊 First ingredients are meat for the first 3 ingredients, or I will do the raw food diet not sure yet
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

How much should I cut the amount?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page