Lawsuit Filed Against Acana and Orijen - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 12:03 PM
Crowned Member

Meanwhile, Champion products are going to be available in Petco:
https://www.petfoodindustry.com/arti...-collaboration

When Blue Buffalo started appearing in mass market stores, an industry insider told me that this was probably preparation for an acquisition -- vastly expanding volume and reach would increase the price for the company. And then General Mills acquired them. I have a hunch we are seeing the same happening -- the Purina rumor may turn out to be a lot more than a rumor.

Anitsisqua, is there any chance you can get her off kibble? The Honest Kitchen's products have proven to be OUTSTANDING at settling tummies of several dogs I know who have trouble with kibble digestion. They have options with and without meat (in case you need to add a novel protein of your choice).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 12:15 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Anitsisqua, is there any chance you can get her off kibble? The Honest Kitchen's products have proven to be OUTSTANDING at settling tummies of several dogs I know who have trouble with kibble digestion. They have options with and without meat (in case you need to add a novel protein of your choice).
I could look into it. I did raw feeding in the past with my shepherd, but needed to stop due to some life changes, so I'm definitely not opposed to not feeding kibble. One of my concerns has been that I think she could have a sensitivity to chicken, and with availability in my area, raw feeding without any chicken could get really expensive really fast.

I will check Honest Kitchen out.

Thank you.

My menagerie:

Gable: Black and Red GSD: 03/02/2012 -08/06/2018
Suki: Russian Blue: 03/02/2013 -
Sully: Tri-Color Collie: 04/22/2016 -
Magnus: GSD Mix: 07/23/2016 -
post #53 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 12:36 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Meanwhile, Champion products are going to be available in Petco:
https://www.petfoodindustry.com/arti...-collaboration
The story I posted is from yesterday, and yes is in Champion's favor. However I am in no way advocating for or against them. I am however for giving people (and companies) a chance to be proven guilty before admonishing and condemning them. One can, in our ultra-litigious society allege anything about anyone - proving it is another thing entirely. Could it be that these lawsuits were filed frivolously by entities seeking to weaken them to make a buyout easier? People who, for some reason have a grudge against the company and want to see them fail? I don't know, but it is certainly a possibility. It makes more sense, at least to me, for a company like Purina to want to see Champion's 'stock' flounder so they could buy them out of cheaper, rather than see their value increase so they have to pay more to acquire them... I'm pretty sure Blue Buffalo sold out long before they started selling in big box stores and going hog wild with mass market advertising.

I don't feed Champion foods anymore, nor do I recommend them. However, it is a fact that millions upon millions of dogs live long, healthy lives on kibble foods. The choice is yours, but if you want to stick with kibble, try looking into foods like Victor, or a food made by Ohio Pet Foods like Dr. Tim's, or Annamaet.

Tom
Omen v Wolfstraum
Jasmine Katie v Doolanshaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Good points KC-AS!

It will be VERY interesting to see how this whole thing plays out!
post #55 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 03:52 PM
Master Member

Thanks, I'd also like to add, in relation to the announcement about Champion offering their products at Petco locations - This was just in the news fairly recently and may have something to do with Champion's decision to sell in Petco stores: https://www.forbes.com/sites/pamdanz.../#3cf667bed9f0

Petco is trying to change its image as a 'big box' retailer. They are also (and I didn't realize this), a privately owned company - not owned by a giant corporate entity. Time will tell what this means and how Petco's image in the industry changes (or doesn't) in the future. May even be that some of the other companies that have steered clear of the 'big box' pet stores change their mind about selling through Petco as well.

I'll still hold my ultimate opinion about Champion until all the facts are in, and won't change my opinion of any other small pet food company that decides they want to give Petco try as an outlet for their foods until Petco's intentions are proven to be other than to do better for animals and their owners

Tom
Omen v Wolfstraum
Jasmine Katie v Doolanshaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page