Lawsuit Filed Against Acana and Orijen - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 06:42 PM
Master Member

Definitely disappointed in Champion. My dogs did great on Orijen as well... Jasmine was on it for the better part of 7 years and always did great on all the formulas. For me, though, the switch was pretty easy and painless... I'm not spending as much on dog food anymore, and both dogs do equally well on their new food. But unfortunately it gets harder and harder to find a trustworthy company in the pet food industry these days.

If I had the money, resources and time to research more I would consider raw... but kibble is so convenient and so much more affordable.

Tom
Omen v Wolfstraum
Jasmine Katie v Doolanshaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Femfa View Post
Same. I'm so disappointed in Champion right now. I know that Canadian and US distribution and processing is different,

"So long as a pet food is manufactured and sold in Canada, there is no inspection or verification necessary. If a food is made in Canada but exported outside of the country, manufacturers of the food must give documentation to regulatory authorities. This documentation must attest that the food is complete and balanced, tell which ingredients are included in the food, and confirm that everything is legal. This paperwork is based, for the most part, on honesty and so long as all the necessary documents are provided, the food is approved for export. Additionally, if manufacturers falsify information on their paperwork, there is likely no penalty (that we've seen).
This is not to say that pet food manufacturing regulations donít exist in Canada, rather that they are seldom enforced. The regulations that do exist simply state that specified substances that are classified as ďat riskĒ may not be used in pet foods." https://topdogtips.com/pet-food-manu...g-regulations/

"If thereís a (human) food recall in Canada, the government is usually quick to notify consumers about the health risks. However, when it comes to pet food, a national recall does not exist.

Thatís because the pet food industry is also not regulated in Canada, meaning if there is a recall, it is up to the pet manufacturer to share the information." https://globalnews.ca/news/4731231/p...not-regulated/
post #43 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 07:08 PM
Master Member

All of Champion's foods sold in the United States are (as far as I am aware) manufactured in the United States, and have been for at least a couple years now. I don't think the foods tested and involved in these lawsuits are made at Champion's Canadian facility.

Tom
Omen v Wolfstraum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Clean-Air System View Post
All of Champion's foods sold in the United States are (as far as I am aware) manufactured in the United States, and have been for at least a couple years now. I don't think the foods tested and involved in these lawsuits are made at Champion's Canadian facility.

Thanks Ken......good to know but makes this situation even SADDER!
post #45 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 07:20 PM
Master Member

One would assume that if they are buying cheaper (and suspect) ingredients for their facility in Kentucky, they are probably doing the same in Canada. It is surprising, though that there hasn't been recalls, at of their American product.
Quinnsmom likes this.

Tom
Omen v Wolfstraum
post #46 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 07:25 PM
Master Member

Yes, AFAIK none of the recalled foods or food issues (foreign objects in bags, dogs reacting to new formula changes, etc) have happened in Canada. Everything Iíve heard of has been in relation to the US manufacturing.

The switch wasnít bad, it was finding a food that didnít have suspect ingredients in regards to diet-induced DCM, came from a company I felt I could trust (no recalls), and had high quality, locally and ethically sourced protein ingredients.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
post #47 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 10:47 AM

I'm really surprised as I always thought it was the best food. But it got too expensive for me with 3-4 shepherds. I think the scariest part is that no recall, voluntary or otherwise, was issued. I guess there's too much at stake for some companies to voluntarily recall, but those are the ones to avoid if we even know or find out.
The whole trust thing is a real issue and along with the DCM problems, we as the pet owners have to be so careful.
post #48 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

UPDATE:

"This amended Champion lawsuit holds the company accountable for its many marketing claims including “Non-regional and non-fresh ingredients”.

"A significant issue added to the amended complaint, filed in Illinois on 2/6/2019, states Champion Pet Food misrepresented its products by (bold added)" “failing to fully disclose the presence and/or risk of inclusion in their pet food of …non-regional and non-fresh ingredients, and/or unnatural or other ingredients that do not conform to the labels, packaging, advertising, and statements throughout the United States.”

"In a search on the Champion Pet Food website, these “regional” and “fresh” claims were found within minutes.."

Read here: https://truthaboutpetfood.com/champi...h-ingredients/
post #49 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 11:55 AM
Master Member

Not sure how this will effect the above mentioned lawsuit, which I believe is a different lawsuit originating in Illinois, but this happened yesterday: https://www.petfoodindustry.com/arti...ssed?v=preview

"On Feb. 7, a federal judge dismissed a lawsuit against Champion Petfoods. The U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin judge dismissed the case with prejudice, meaning that the case cannot be brought back to court."

This was a separate case alleging contamination by lead, arsenic, cadmium, and mercury filed in Wisconsin. We'll see how the other plays out.

Tom
Omen v Wolfstraum
post #50 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 12:02 PM
Master Member

Ugh. I don't know what to do now. My girl seems to have a very sensitive stomach and has had vomiting/diarrhea in the past with Fromm, Earthborn and multiple varieties of Victor.

Acana was the best thing I'd found and I am so discouraged at the thought of trying new foods with her again.

My menagerie:

Gable: Black and Red GSD: 03/02/2012 -08/06/2018
Suki: Russian Blue: 03/02/2013 -
Sully: Tri-Color Collie: 04/22/2016 -
Magnus: GSD Mix: 07/23/2016 -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page