Lawsuit Filed Against Acana and Orijen - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

This is SO disappointing!

Looks like Champion (Maker of Orijen & Acana) purchased tainted beef tallow from the same supplier as Gravy Train!

"Champion only admitted to the pentobarbital contaminated pet food AFTER an updated lawsuit was filed in November 2018 citing the pentobarbital contamination."

Article here:
Did Champion Pet Food use the same ingredient supplier as Gravy Train? ? Truth about Pet Food

Investigator notes: http://truthaboutpetfood.com/wp-cont...-9409encl2.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 07:19 PM

More and more glad that I chose to go raw.
post #33 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 10:28 PM
Crowned Member

Locally sourced, huh? From a local 4D rendering plant?!

I haven't bought a Nutro product since the 90s, when Nutro was busted with this kind of rendered, tainted meat. Add Champion to the club -- a club that also included Ol' Roy back in the 90s, and apparently now Gravy Train? Swell.

If anyone wants a kibble without the rendered meal that's always the source of this stuff, check out Rawz kibble. RAWZ | Meal Free Dry

The price point is about on par with Orijen. They use a 40% protein kibble (pretty high!), made of dehydrated chicken instead of rendered meal. It's also cooked at a lower temperature. It does contain peas, but not a bunch of different legumes way up the ingredient list. The first 7 ingredients are:

DEHYDRATED CHICKEN
DEHYDRATED DEBONED CHICKEN
CHICKEN
TURKEY
CHICKEN LIVER
TURKEY LIVER
TURKEY HEARTS

I haven't fed it as mine are doing fine on Fromm, but it's where I'd go if I wanted to change kibbles -- the rendered meal recalls are disturbing. Part of its attraction to me is the family behind it has an excellent reputation -- and they have for a long, long time in the pet food business.

Last edited by Magwart; 12-03-2018 at 10:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 06:26 AM

The lawsuit is similar to the one that hit Taste of the Wild as well. I don't think there's much basis to it, except that if a formula uses fish it might very well have metal contaminants. I think it's more likely that the company, and a whole lot of others are going to get hit with lawsuits from the DCM cases, but that's probably down the road a bit.
I used to use Acana years ago, until their price went up so high after a fire at their plant. I revisited feeding it again when I had an allergy dog, but I thought it was weird that their new formulas had so many different types of lentils for such an expensive food. But never thought they would source from a rendering plant like that (and it's not even local).
post #35 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 11:10 AM
Crowned Member

Barnyard, what's different is the apparent admission of buying "beef tallow" containing a euthanasia drug -- the same one used to put dogs and cats to sleep, which isn't even used in cattle, but sometimes is in horses. So it's not any source of "beef" producing that problem -- it's generally some other kind of animal that's not even supposed to be in the bag of kibble -- probably horse meat...but it could be anything put to sleep with that drug (companion animals, zoo animals). It's a sign of extremely low-grade rendered protein or fat -- the kind where some nasty rendering plant will throw any animal carcass they get into the pot and cook it down. Meat or fat containing this drug is not supposed to ever be in dog food -- there was a run of foods with it in the 90s, the FDA tightened things up, and that was supposed to be the end of it, but here we go again.

Champion is blaming beef tallow. I've yet to hear why beef tallow would contain that drug when everything I've read for years says that drug isn't used in cattle. Unless the beef tallow isn't really beef tallow but the fat of some other critter falsely sold as beef tallow? But they're admitting to using a supplier in Penn., which was apparently the source of the Big Heart Brands problem in 2017 too -- so are we supposed to understand they used a supplier KNOWN problems?!

In fairness to Champion, I think there's a dispute as to whether the much of euthanasia-drug-contaminated kibble made it out into the market before they caught it, but do we forgive them even if they prove they somehow intervened before much of it did? If this is the kind of supplier they're sourcing from, it says EVERYTHING about their integrity as to their supply chain. What else are they sourcing from the cheapest, lowest-grade suppliers???

Further reading, with Champion's side of the story:

https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2018/...rompts-recall/

This article also has some background on the other pentobarb recalls, and why it keeps happening:
https://gizmodo.com/how-does-a-eutha...ood-1823186412

Last edited by Magwart; 12-04-2018 at 11:39 AM.
post #36 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 05:57 PM

Honestly I would stay away from Orijen/Acana.
post #37 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 08:45 PM

Thanks for the information! I was looking at switching to that, glad i didn't! I'm looking at changing to Fromm now. Have a 7 year old and 11 week old both gsd. Do they make one that will work for both? If not, then which color bag do you feed puppy? Grown? Thanks!!
post #38 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 09:00 PM
Crowned Member

So disappointing. I wished I’d never gotten hooked. My dogs love it... their stool quality and body conditions have been superb. I’ve been trying to switch the last couple months and keep going back.

I really hate diet changes and food shopping/research.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #39 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Pentobarbital, Champion Pet Food, and No Uniform Enforcement of Law

January 29, 2019
in Pet Food News

Pentobarbital in an ingredient shipped to Champion Pet Food has been confirmed,

yet no recall was required. No uniform enforcement of pet food regulations leaves pet owners confused at what the FDA is actually doing to protect pets from dangerous pet foods. https://truthaboutpetfood.com/pentob...cement-of-law/
post #40 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 06:15 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post
So disappointing. I wished Id never gotten hooked. My dogs love it... their stool quality and body conditions have been superb. Ive been trying to switch the last couple months and keep going back.

I really hate diet changes and food shopping/research.
Same. I'm so disappointed in Champion right now. I know that Canadian and US distribution and processing is different, but it just feels like everything is falling apart with Champion. They've agreed to sell in Petco despite pulling from Chewy, which is in line with the rumors of them being bought out by Purina. Plus, with the research involving DCM and most dogs being affected being on the Singles line of Acana, I've made the switch. But it's been awful. I wish I had the funds to feed raw at this point.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page