Itchy 3 year old GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By carmspack

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Itchy 3 year old GSD

My 3 year old GSD has been itching quite frequently. It even looks like his hair is starting to thin out because of it. He also has a hot spot on one of his paws. I started giving him fish oil last month thinking he had dry skin, but it has gotten worse. So I took him off the fish oil two days ago. I will continue to monitor his itching. Does anyone know if it could be something else? I feed him Iams large breed dog food. Is it maybe a food allergy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 05:58 PM
Crowned Member

need more information

diet, vaccinations, diet , external parasites, diet , mange a- general condition

picture

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 06:20 PM

Thanks for your post jbratka , I was about to ask a similar question , my shep is 7+ now and she has this problem bar , she is like chewing on her skin and has been for awhile , the Vets love my $ but no fix , I have been trying the elimination procedure but nothing yet , now I am looking at her treats which is Vitalife Dehydrated Duck , I have read up on it and it has its far share of Negative reviews , with showing some reviews about her condition , such as itching and other skin conditions , I hope some one can shed some light on this for us .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 06:43 PM
Crowned Member

problem can't be solved until you know what lead up to the problem and the foundation is diet and gut flora
Dunkirk likes this.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 06:54 PM
Elite Member

If it's a healthy dog and not caused by environment, it's probably food related. My dog stopped itching and having goopy eyes when I stopped feeding her kibble and chicken.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 08:18 PM
Elite Member

Shmackos made my dog itch, and mosquito bites.

https://www.dogsfirst.ie/health-issu...g-top-10-tips/
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 08:58 PM
Crowned Member

Take him to to the vet so you know what you are treating.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 09:05 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbratka View Post
My 3 year old GSD has been itching quite frequently. It even looks like his hair is starting to thin out because of it. He also has a hot spot on one of his paws. I started giving him fish oil last month thinking he had dry skin, but it has gotten worse. So I took him off the fish oil two days ago. I will continue to monitor his itching. Does anyone know if it could be something else? I feed him Iams large breed dog food. Is it maybe a food allergy?

Was your dog vaccinated recently?

The easiest way to find this out is to change to a High Quality ONE Meat Protein Food.

There are a few items in dog food AND treats that dogs can be sensitive to: Chicken Items (Meat, Meal, Fat, Eggs, Cartilage) Potatoes, Flax seed or oil, certain Fish and Yeast supplements. Grains of all kinds (including oatmeal and oatmeal shampoo!), "some" dogs are even sensitive to "Non-Gluten" grains, Lentils/Pea items, . So read the ingredient list VERY carefully.

These are the ingredients in the IAM's that "could" be making your dog itch:
Nutritional Info Ingredients Chicken, Ground Whole Grain Corn, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Chicken By-Product Meal (Source of Chondroitin Sulfate and Glucosamine), Ground Whole Grain Barley, Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols), Natural Flavor, Dried Egg Product, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Dried Brewers Yeast, Flaxseed, Caramel Color, Salt, Choline Chloride, L-Lysine Monohydrochloride, Carrots, Tomatoes, Fructooligosaccharides, Spinach, Green Peas, Calcium Carbonate, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide), Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), DL-Methionine, Dried Apple Pomace, L-Tryptophan, L-Carnitine, Dried Blueberry Pomace, Mixed Tocoperols, Rosemary Extract, Citric Acid.

I would also suggest a high quality Digestive Enzyme (helps to assimilate food) & a ProBiotic (keeps the "good" bacteria in the gut). Since about 75% of the immune system lies in the gut (immune system helps fight allergens and MANY other things) it is very important to keep it healthy.

Below are Probiotic's/Digestive Enzymes that are Human Ingredient High Quality Products made for dogs:
Sunday Sundae : http://www.carmspack.com/ (click on “Contact” and use the email to order)
*They also sell great combinations of natural Human Grade supplements
including SH-EMP oil which contains Herring Oil, Hemp Oil and Coconut Oil.

Gut Sense: http://dr-dobias-natural-healing-usa...ducts/gutsense

A balanced raw food diet would be the best but it that is not possible, I would definitely change to a high quality -ONE PROTEIN- kibble AND treats like Acana to see if it can help. No other food items for at least 6 to 8 weeks for an elimination trial.
Acana Limited “Singles”: Pork & Butternut Squash: http://acana.com/our-foods/singles/p...ternut-squash/
Ingredients: Deboned pork*, pork meal, green lentils, red lentils, pork liver*, butternut squash*, pork fat, green peas, yellow peas, canola oil, algae, garbanzo beans, pumpkin*, carrots*, pork kidney*, freeze-dried pork liver, kelp, chicory root, ginger root, peppermint leaf, lemon balm, mixed tocopherols (preservative), dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product.
Pork & Squash Limited treats: https://acana.com/our-foods/dog-food...uash/?lang=usa
Store locator:
Store Locator | Acana

Personally, I would not let the vet give my dog any steroids (shots or pills) as this is a vicious circle which cannot "cure" the problem. It only puts a band aide on the itch temporarily.
Name:  Steroid Cycle.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  41.0 KB

For a natural approach, Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar from a health food store can help with itching. Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar has anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. You will know it is organic because you will see “The Mother” (which contains the medicinal properties) floating around in the bottle. It can be used internally (to aide in digestion) and externally (for itching). Make a 50/50 mix of the the Organic ACV with purified water (not city tap water) and after a bath with a mild herbal (non-grain) soap bath, rub the Organic ACV mix down into the skin/coat, working in small areas, until the whole dog is covered including legs and belly. Always be careful of eyes (vinegar stings). Let dog drip dry, do not rinse off. Do not get into eyes or open sores.
You can put the mix in a spray bottle and spray on their coats and specific itchy spots (if skin is not opened) a few times per day till you see improvement. You can also use this mix to wipe out ears.

Shampoo's: Moosh:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
4-Legger:http://www.amazon.com/dp/B011ESJXRW/...sr_pg1_2?psc=1

IF you have a dog that is sensitive to grains, beware of other GLUTEN BASED ingredients, with names that we do not recognize, that could be in the Doggie Shampoo that you are using!
WHEAT: hydrolyzed wheat protein or triticum vulgare (wheat) or stearyldimoniumhydroxypropyl (hydrolyzed wheat protein) or hydroxypropyltrimonium (hydrolyzed wheat protein).
OATMEAL: or avena sativa
BARLEY: hordeum vulgare or maltodextrin (can also be from barley)
RYE: secale cereale
Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein can be derived from: Soy, Corn, or Wheat

Moms
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 06:00 AM

I have a similar issue, but my girl eats a raw diet. No hot spots, but sometimes she does get red blotches on her tummy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page