Orijen Six Fish - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2018, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

Orijen Six Fish

I am planning to feed the boy Orijen 6 fish since he was allergic to something in Acana Chicken and Duck formulae.

I've read a lot of online posts back in 2009/10 saying they use citric acid as preservative. I spoke to a Champion's rep in canada and she said they have not used it at all since 2007. Even on the bag I did not find citric acid listed?

He had a bloat scare recently which luckily self regressed. I am very scared to wet his food without knowing about this citric acid thing. Please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2018, 09:17 AM
Crowned Member

If you spoke to Champion and they said it wasn't in their food, I don't think they would lie to you.

I'm not sure which Acana you were feeding that contained Chicken AND Duck?

If your dog is having "sensitivities" I'd stay away from Chicken and Turkey and even Duck.
These are a few items in dog food AND treats that a lot of dogs are sensitive to: Chicken Items (Meat, Meal, Fat, Eggs, Cartilage) Grains of all kinds (including oatmeal and oatmeal shampoo!), Potatoes, Flax seed or oil, certain Fish and Yeast supplements.
Some dogs are
even sensitive to some of the "Non-Gluten" grains, Lentils/Pea items. So read the ingredient list VERY carefully.

If I were you, I'd stick with Champion's Acana and go with their SINGLE recipe Pork and Squash AND the matching Pork & Squash Treats. Contains only ONE meat protein source.
Keep him on that for several weeks and see if there is a difference.

Pork & Butternut Squash SINGLES: http://acana.com/our-foods/singles/p...ternut-squash/
Ingredients: Deboned pork*, pork meal, green lentils, red lentils, pork liver*, butternut squash*, pork fat, green peas, yellow peas, canola oil, algae, garbanzo beans, pumpkin*, carrots*, pork kidney*, freeze-dried pork liver, kelp, chicory root, ginger root, peppermint leaf, lemon balm, mixed tocopherols (preservative), dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product.
Pork & Squash Limited treats: https://acana.com/our-foods/dog-food...uash/?lang=usa

Champion's Orijen is a great food but gives some dogs diarrhea. If you do decide to go with the 6 Fish:

Always transition with small amounts of new food mixed with old, taking a week or two to change eventually transitioning out the old food.
If stool gets loose, go back to previous amount fed (where stool was solid) and hold at that amount for a few days until his gut gets use to it. Then increase again. This is called "bowel tolerance".

Good Luck!
Moms
Old 03-07-2018, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Hey Moms,

I am sorry in hurry I typed that. I meant cobb chicken formula and duck formula. Both are different.

I've never fed him pork. I'll try though now.

And yes, he is sensitive to yeast. But I found no problems when he eats his boiled chicken. So the culprit is one of the other ingredients I guess.

Thanks for clearing up my queries

I can peacefully wet my kibble now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2018, 10:11 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakiap View Post

He had a bloat scare recently which luckily self regressed. I am very scared to wet his food without knowing about this citric acid thing. Please let me know.
If your dog bloated, make sure you have some Gas X in a place that you know where it is and have quick access to. That stuff is amazing at making your dog burp fast. They used to have quick dissolve strips which they have now discontinued. I bought a few boxes on Amazon, they still had some.

Gas X Saved my boy a few times now. Bloat is really scary. Luckily for you and myself no torsion followed. I feed three small meals a day now.

As far as food we use this Acana line for one two of my dogs. I also use the Single Ingredient Pork on another who gets some allergy's. You can also try the Heritage line Chicken or Fish formula we use that one one of them. All three get different foods.

We use Orijen for the other who can take any food.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

Hey moms and kr. Thanks for the inputs.

I can't get the Pork formula here in my region. Is their lamb and apple ok?
Old 05-09-2018, 08:22 AM
Crowned Member

The Acana Lamb & Apple should be fine.

Just be aware that there has been a law suit filed against Champion (manufacturer of Acana/Orijen).

The "Clean Label Project" information, used for data in this suit, is controversial among many such as the well respected Whole Dog Journal:
How legitimate is the Clean Label Project's dry dog food label ratings? https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/bl...t-21790-1.html

IMO.....any group that would pronounce ALPO with a 5 star rating has to be living on another planet!

So, this law suit will be interesting to follow!

Moms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in