Found semi locally made food - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Found semi locally made food

We found this company the other day and it sounds really good. I'm not sure whether or not it is gimmicky or is this a good food choice? We've had dogs that are allergic to chicken, soy, and corn for starters.

https://www.lakeeriepet.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 10:49 AM
Crowned Member

This company uses Chicken Fat in it's recipes.

These are a few items in dog food AND treats that a lot of dogs are sensitive to: Chicken Items (Meat, Meal, Fat, Eggs, Cartilage) Grains of all kinds (including oatmeal and oatmeal shampoo!), Potatoes, Flax seed or oil, certain Fish and Yeast supplements. Some are even sensitive to the "Non-Gluten" grains, Lentils/Pea items, . So read the ingredient list of food AND treats VERY carefully.

I'd go with ACANA SINGLES Pork & Squash. It only contains ONE meat protein and none of the above. Also use the Pork & Squash LIMITED treats.

Acana Limited “Singles”: Pork & Butternut Squash: https://acana.com/our-foods/dog-food...pple/?lang=usa
Ingredients: Deboned pork*, pork meal, green lentils, red lentils, pork liver*, butternut squash*, pork fat, green peas, yellow peas, canola oil, algae, garbanzo beans, pumpkin*, carrots*, pork kidney*, freeze-dried pork liver, kelp, chicory root, ginger root, peppermint leaf, lemon balm, mixed tocopherols (preservative), dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product. They also have a limited lamb.
Pork & Squash Limited treats: https://acana.com/our-foods/dog-food...uash/?lang=usa
Store locator: Store Locator | Acana

Nature's Variety LIMITED also makes a single protein Lamb.

Nature's Variety "Instinct" Limited not Nature's Recipe): Limited Ingredient Lamb: (can be purchased at PetsMart, Petco) https://www.instinctpetfood.com/dogs...cipe-real-lamb
Ingredients: Lamb Meal, Peas, Tapioca, Pea Protein, Canola Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Lamb, Natural Flavor, Montmorillonite Clay, Coconut Oil, Salt, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin), Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide), Freeze Dried Lamb, Pumpkinseeds, Freeze Dried Lamb Liver, Freeze Dried Lamb Spleen, Freeze Dried Lamb Heart, Freeze Dried Lamb Kidney, Rosemary Extract.
Store locator: Find A Store | Nature's Variety

Here are some ONE meat protein ingredient Lamb Treats by Purebites: PureBites® Freeze Dried New Zealand Lamb Liver Treats | For Dogs | Purebites.com

Good luck with your search!
Moms
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 12:41 PM
Crowned Member

I think with any local company, you need to ask: "Who manufacturers your food?" They're not really a dog food company; they're a marketing/home-delivery company. They pay someone else to make the food and put their name on it. A lot of companies do that. So whether it's a "good" food really depends on who makes it, how tightly they control ingredient sourcing, and how good that sourcing is (meat quality, country of origin of ingredients, etc.). You have to do some digging to figure that out -- and possibly even talk to the owner of this Lake Erie.

As for what will work, it all depends on your dog and whether you have "true" allergies, and how your dog reacts. When I have a suspected allergic dog, I start with a limited ingredient food that's fish based, as it seems the one most likely to work for the most dogs (I'm playing the odds!). There are tons of brand options with those "limited ingredient" foods now. In rescue, my go-to is Wellness Simple because it seems to work for SO many dogs -- there are much better foods and companies out there, but this one seems to just plain work for a lot of itchy dogs at a price point that's not top-of-the-line.

The problem is that LID foods are not regulated, and third-party testing has shown that all of them tested have some contamination with ingredients not on the label. Whatever was in the extrusion machine from the prior run of some different food leaves residue behind that ends up mixing into the LID food. For itchy dogs, it seems like it often isn't enough to matter, so it's definitely worth trying. For serious food allergies affecting the gut (not skin), the contamination is a potential problem -- it's still worth trying, but the odds are lower.

If you try a few limited ingredient kibbles for 6-8 weeks each, and they don't solve the problem, you have two options: (1) vet RX hydrolyzed protein kibble (around $80+ for 20 pounds)--it freaks people out because it has chicken but it's been changed at a molecular level in how the body processes it so it can't be recognized as an allergen, and it works for many allergy dogs -- it's a food of last resort, to me; or (2) a more natural, non-kibble diet where you can control ingredients (commercial raw, well-formulated/balanced homemade, or a base-mix like The Honest Kitchen Preference + whatever protein the dog can handle)--I chose this path instead of RX food, and it worked for my dog.

FWIW, I have a theory that food allergy dogs whose elimination diets prove them to be reactive to different kibble proteins may actually be allergic to kibble binders. I can't prove it, but I've seen it a few times where dogs couldn't eat a single protein with sweet potato in kibble, but then ate that same protein raw with steamed sweet potatoes in a homemade diet just fine. So I'm starting to wonder if the surge of food allergies we're seeing are kibble-induced. It's pure speculation, but it's got me wondering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. We are in the waiting stage of getting another dog right now and so I'm looking into a lot of things.

The food sounded good but with what they were advertising about single proteins and no chicken by products it didn't make a lot of sense to me that they would only have a chicken based puppy food.

My last dog was allergic to chicken (not so sure about her other allergies). My mom makes a homemade food that has chicken in it and she fed it to her multiple times while watching her trying to disprove the chicken allergy. She still had the same reaction (itchy red butt etc.).

Magwart, your theory on the food binders makes sense to me. I have allergic reactions to tomatoes but only when they are in a pre-made sauce, if they are fresh I am fine. The allergic reaction has more to do with whatever preservative is in the tomato sauce than the actual tomatoes (or so I'm told).

What do you think of Redford Naturals? I know it is a store brand but when searching online we couldn't find anything bad on it. We fed this to Rogue and she seemed to do well on it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 02:30 PM
Master Member

I would contact the company in your original question and ask them who manufactures their food for them. I'd bet that it is Ohio Pet Foods ... if that is the case I wouldn't hesitate trying it if the price and availability makes sense for you. OPF is a great manufacturer that also makes food for Annamaet, Dr. Tim's, Verus, and others.

From what I could find, Redford Naturals appears to be manufactured by CJ Foods, a company I trust far less than Ohio Pet Foods.

Tom
Omen v Wolfstraum
Jasmine Katie v Doolanshaus
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Clean-Air System View Post
From what I could find, Redford Naturals appears to be manufactured by CJ Foods, a company I trust far less than Ohio Pet Foods.
I will contact them to find out who makes their food. It's also good to know about CJ Foods. We are thinking of doing a raw diet later on but want to find a good puppy food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page