The Honest Kitchen Base mix - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

The Honest Kitchen Base mix

I have been feeding my 2 yr old male primarily a frankenprey raw diet following the 80/10/5/5 rule now for about a yr and a half. He started having anal gland issues and the vet recommended I feed him more fiber. I decided to start using the Honest Kitchen base mix that has sweet potato at the suggestion of someone on a raw feeding site. Today was my first day of giving this to my boy and I have to say I am a bit concerned about the amount of mix I am feeding compared to the amount of meat it recommends feeding.

He eats between 18 oz to 19 oz of meat, bone, and organs 2x per day and is what I consider to be a healthy weight of 82 lbs. I can feel his ribs yet they do not poke out and he has nice definition in his waist. The box says to mix 1 1/3 cup mix with 2 cups water and 1 1/2 cup of muscle meat per day for his body weight. To me that seems like a LOT of veggies with very little meat considering how much he eats now.

Am I not reading the box correctly? I don't see how feeding that much base mix with such little meat can be a balanced diet for an 80 lb dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 12:32 AM
Crowned Member

Depends. There are alternative instructions for highly active dogs. For 71-90 lb. dogs, the Preference box says for active dogs to give 1 c. mix:1.5 c. water + 2 c. meat.

My dog lost weight on their recommended portion, so we feed more. It's just a matter of feeding the dog and its individual metabolism. We experimented to find the right portion size that works best for him to maintain.

FWIW, I mix up a huge Rubbermaid bowl of base mix (about 5 c. of dry to about 8 c. of water), and I leave it in the fridge for up to 3 days. He gets about two cups of prepared mix daily, about two and a half c. of beef, and he's smaller than your dog (70# and lean). Sometimes his meat mix has some organ meat and ground bone in it, sometimes it's just muscle meat. That's what works for my dog. YMMV.

Consider adding some Glandex too. It will help the anal glands a lot. You can add it right into the base mix at meal time, stir it up and let it sit a few minutes to activate the enzymes.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 07:22 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky BV View Post
I have been feeding my 2 yr old male primarily a frankenprey raw diet following the 80/10/5/5 rule now for about a yr and a half. He started having anal gland issues and the vet recommended I feed him more fiber. I decided to start using the Honest Kitchen base mix that has sweet potato at the suggestion of someone on a raw feeding site. Today was my first day of giving this to my boy and I have to say I am a bit concerned about the amount of mix I am feeding compared to the amount of meat it recommends feeding.

He eats between 18 oz to 19 oz of meat, bone, and organs 2x per day and is what I consider to be a healthy weight of 82 lbs. I can feel his ribs yet they do not poke out and he has nice definition in his waist. The box says to mix 1 1/3 cup mix with 2 cups water and 1 1/2 cup of muscle meat per day for his body weight. To me that seems like a LOT of veggies with very little meat considering how much he eats now.

Am I not reading the box correctly? I don't see how feeding that much base mix with such little meat can be a balanced diet for an 80 lb dog.
I've been using the base mix too. The whole cup thing didn't make sense to me because of different meats, different calories. So for my dog, depending on what exactly you look at, anywhere from 1400 to 1600 calories a day is recommended. You can google calories in different meats. Turkey is around 670 per pound. Beef is around 1500. No problems for the last couple of months.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 08:46 PM
Crowned Member

I had that exact conversation with them, Doc, when I called them. It's kind of puzzling that they don't suggest more meat for lower cal/lower fat meats. Knowing how fatty the meat is also matters for figuring out total % fat, if one cares about that sort of thing.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 09:39 PM
Elite Member

My girl was having some anal gland issues on a raw diet as well. She is really fussy. Won't touch THK mixes. I tried pumpkin and a few other things that didn't give desired results. What I found worked for us was to keep her same raw diet and just a add a tablespoon per day of Organic Whole Psyllium Husk to her raw. Adds the fiber without really changing the diet. The Psyllium makes her poops bigger but so does THK or any of the base mixes. It's much cheaper than THK.

There are recipes online on how to make a fiber broth. I don't bother. I just sprinkle the psyllium husk on her food and offer plenty of fresh water. Personal choice that works for us.

Ziva 03.07.2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page