Puppy Food Advice (And Beyond) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Puppy Food Advice (And Beyond)

Hi everyone,

When I first got Jax he was on Purina Puppy Chow which I simply couldn't find anywhere around here for some reason so I switched him over to Acana Large Breed puppy as soon as I could using the tiny bag of food I was provided with. Luckily the switch wasn't too hard on him despite being a little rushed due to not having much of his original food.

My question is-- is the Acana food good? I remember doing all sorts of research and having to check the ingredients to make sure the primary ingredient isn't a filler or grain (I belive) etc etc. My previous dogs were put on a strict diet pretty early on because they were small dogs and one had urinary tract issues and the other had bad teeth, so they each had special food. I'm not so used to picking a generic kind!

https://acana.com/our-foods/dog-food...ed/?lang=en-uk

That's the one I'm using. The vet thinks Jax will grow to be about 110 lbs (if you saw my other posts, he's prolly not purebred GSD but who knows what he REALLY is).

What food would be recommended over that one if it isn't a good one? If that's okay for his puppy stage, when should I switch to a different type of food, 2 years old? And what's a good one for adult GSD's. I don't need top of the line food, just food that is good and healthy.

Thanks!

Last edited by Shawn & Jax; 02-28-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 01:08 PM

Ha, you say you don’t need a top of the line but you’ve already chosen one!!
Acana absolutely trumps anything by Purina and most other foods as well.

I’m not familiar with their puppy foods but my 5 and 11 yr olds do great on their adult meadowland formula.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post
Ha, you say you don’t need a top of the line but you’ve already chosen one!!
Acana absolutely trumps anything by Purina and most other foods as well.
Well that's awesome to hear then! Makes me happy I chose well I did initially want to (obviously) provide the best for Jax but now it's like "okay anything more expensive than this is too much for you mister, you're not the King!" haha. But if I'm already pretty close to top of the line then we're golden!

Last edited by Shawn & Jax; 02-28-2018 at 01:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page