Non-beef hard chews/bones that will satisfy my dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Non-beef hard chews/bones that will satisfy my dog?

My dog loves beef bone marrow bones along with bully sticks. However we believe he is allergic to beef (and potentially chicken). Are there any chews/bones/toys made for strong chewers (other than rawhide) that could keep him busy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 10:16 AM
Knighted Member

Nylabone Durachew - they are actually made of plastic but mine love to chew on them and can make dents in with their teeth but never break any pieces off.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 11:01 AM

Could you get raw pork bones from a local abatoire? That or you can always get those big kongs that you put treats into to encourage chewing on those?
VTBunny likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 11:28 AM
Crowned Member

Look for:
Pig Trotter's
Skull's
Neck Bones

Please do not use Rawhide
Choking or blockages. Rawhide bones and other edible chews can pose a choking and blockage risk. In fact, this is a much bigger risk than contamination or digestive irritation. If your dog swallows large pieces of rawhide, the rawhide can get stuck in the esophagus or other parts of the digestive tract. Depending on its size and where it is located, a vet may be able to remove these pieces fairly easily through the throat. But sometimes, abdominal surgery is needed to remove them from the stomach or intestines. If it isn’t resolved, a blockage can lead to death. petmd

Large chunks can be swallowed whole. These are indigestible and can cause serious illness for your dog or even death. canine journal

. It can be a choking a hazard. Once your dog swallows a tiny, broken piece of rawhide, that portion can get lodged in his throat; putting him in serious danger.
· It can cause digestive blockage. Allowing your pooch to swallow a large piece of rawhide can also endanger his life. Rawhides can expand inside Fido’s stomach, putting him at risk of a fatal blockage. It can even wrap around his intestines, causing the same obstruction.
· It can cause gastrointestinal problems. If your pooch ingests too many rawhides, he may develop gastrointestinal complications. dogington post

Not to mention the toxic chemicals that are used to process the hides!
When tested: Lead, Arsenic, Mercury, Chromium salts, Formaldehyde and other toxic chemicals have been detected in raw hides. Dogs Naturally Magazine

. Some rawhides contain deadly poisons. The process of making rawhide involves chemically separating the outer layer of skin (usually of a cow) from the hide. This process leaves deadly poisons in the chew, including arsenic and formaldehyde. doggington post

Moms
VTBunny likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 11:35 AM
Crowned Member

Lamb horns.
Icelandicplus.com
VTBunny likes this.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayzieGSD View Post
Nylabone Durachew - they are actually made of plastic but mine love to chew on them and can make dents in with their teeth but never break any pieces off.

*I* think the problem with a Nylabone is that it's plastic! Do you really want your dog ingesting plastic?

Bones *can* be good, but I would try and get bones from an organically raised animal. Growth hormones, etc., etc., from a non-organically raised animal settle into bones and marrow and, again, I don't think that's a good thing to feed your dog also.

Take a look at this: Throw Me A Bone! Four Tips for Feeding Bones to Your Dogs Safely - Recipe - Dr. Basko - This is a good article on feeding bones.

Craig
VTBunny likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 12:03 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Caughlin View Post
*I* think the problem with a Nylabone is that it's plastic! Do you really want your dog ingesting plastic?
Craig
They don't actually eat it.. they just chew on it.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 12:23 PM

If your dog is a strong chewer just don't leave unsupervised with a nylabone. My pup ate half of one, fortunately she pooped it out but I wouldn't take chances.

We've had good luck with the Himalayan cheese chews. Chewy has good sales on the really big ones and they usually last an hour or two. Still kind of pricey, about 6 bucks each, but they are great if you need an hour or two of your dog being occupied.

I've also heard good things about raw feeding Miami's rawhide. It's not anything like store-bought rawhide, no treatments or bleaching, but I've not tried them so can't speak to how they go over with the digestive system if your pup is sensitive to beef.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 12:48 PM
Crowned Member

More exercise and mental games probably reduces the need for boredom chewing unless your dog is a young pup of course.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayzieGSD View Post
They don't actually eat it.. they just chew on it.

I've watched dogs chew on these. As the bone "magically" gets smaller...where's it going?

Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page