Elk, moose, deer antlers - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Elk, moose, deer antlers

Wasn't sure where to post this thread, lol. I know you are not suppose to let your dog chew on weight bearing bones of large mammals due to possibly cracking their teeth. He is fed a prey model diet so he gets lots of meaty bones to eat. I have been considering getting my boy (just shy of 2 yrs old) some kind of antlers to chew on. I have found someone that sells a variety of antlers, some still have the velvet on them, which I have read is exceptionally good for your dog. These are antlers that have been found in the natural habitat of the animal and have not been processed in any way other than to be cut into pieces. Has anyone had issues with giving their pups antlers with the velvet still on them? And do you have a preference as to elk, moose, or deer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 10:06 PM
Crowned Member

Seger won't bother with them. Jax would break her teeth. My newest thing for Seger is lamb horn. Smells horrid but he loves them. They are softer so won't break teeth, 100% digestible and last for days.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 10:11 PM
Crowned Member

Where do you get yours? I don't think I have seen those around anywhere and would prefer those than the deer ones I have for the dogs.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 10:32 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth_00117 View Post
Where do you get yours? I don't think I have seen those around anywhere and would prefer those than the deer ones I have for the dogs.
Are you asking me?

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 12:54 AM
Elite Member

I found them several places, Amazon and Only natural pet. Yikes, pteyyt pricey for no longer than they seem to last $14+ for the large. My Dutch Shepherd is a super aggressive chewer and after my first GSD broke a molar on a honor I have been leery of trying antlers. I get cow ears from Foster and Smith that last her 10 minutes or less. Also following for ideas.

dogbyte Cathy, Rossi ( the Dutch shepherd) and Gunny (the Czech/DDR GSD) with Zoey, Chance,Xara,Gracie, and Jaden snuggled deep within my heart
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 01:57 AM
Crowned Member

elk, moose and deer have different hardness levels. I don't remember which one is the softest but that is what I have got in the past, but it's been a long time.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 01:55 PM
Crowned Member

I will follow this thread. Maxís teeth is worn down a lot already I stick with giving his soft flexible ball. In substitute for a bone. I have to watch him with it because of the ball rolls under the couch he will destroy the lining of the couch with his attempts to move it. I like the Himalayan bone but they can be expensive.
I get the whimsies but they do not keep them busy for long but Luna really likes these and she also likes the bones with that crappy cheese in the middle it keeps her busy. I will not feed the smoked bones. Deer antlers are pretty hard is not s fan of those either. I saw bones that were dehydrated I donít know to much about those or what dangers are of a dehydrated bone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 02:25 PM
Crowned Member

@Jenny720
Lamb Horn!
https://store.icelandicplus.com/

I just put it up at the end of the night and give it back when I want him to chill.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 02:36 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
@Jenny720
Lamb Horn!
https://store.icelandicplus.com/

I just put it up at the end of the night and give it back when I want him to chill.
Thank you!!!! Iím getting this right now!!! They have been so patient and deserve a real good treat.
Jax08 likes this.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 02:38 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
Thank you!!!! Iím getting this right now!!! They have been so patient and deserve a real good treat.
I think Seger has the large. they were a gift so not sure exactly but I'm guessing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page