• 2 Post By rockmissjess
  • 1 Post By Momto2GSDs
  • 2 Post By Magwart
  • 1 Post By rockmissjess
  • 2 Post By rockmissjess
  • 1 Post By JaxsMom

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation What is this in my puppies food!!?????

WHAT IS THIS IN MY PUPPIES FOOD!!?????

Its hard and pokey like wood shavings... Ive been using wellness for years and ive NEVER had a bag with this in it.. ever.

Wellness Large Breed Puppy Complete (aka Super5)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01518JPG.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	472346   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01517JPG.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	472354   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01516JPG.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	472362   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01515JPG.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	472370   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01514JPG.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	472378  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 03:14 AM
Master Member

What is this in my puppies food!!?????

Looks almost rosemary but I know it uses extract rather than the actual herb, so thatís definitely weird. Iím actually not sure what that could be...

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 12:05 PM
Elite Member

Wellness did have a recall early last year for foreign material contamination.

If it's not something foreign to the kibble, my best guess would be husks from the barley... of course there is really no way to know for sure. Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Quality control and company trust is so important...

https://www.petful.com/brands/wellness/
rockmissjess likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

YES! I did they are sending me a mailer to send them the food they need to do testing on it.. and i will also send them the reciept with the store information on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoolamb View Post
Wellness did have a recall early last year for foreign material contamination.

If it's not something foreign to the kibble, my best guess would be husks from the barley... of course there is really no way to know for sure. Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Quality control and company trust is so important...

https://www.petful.com/brands/wellness/
Jax08 and tim_s_adams like this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 11:16 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmissjess View Post
YES! I did they are sending me a mailer to send them the food they need to do testing on it.. and i will also send them the reciept with the store information on it.
Make sure that YOU keep a couple pieces of the kibble. Also, copies of the bar code on the bag and receipt.

This will be interesting!
Please keep us updated on what they say.

Moms
rockmissjess likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 11:30 AM
Crowned Member

Keep the original of that receipt and send a copy! They don't need your original. If you need to make any sort of claim later, having the original is better than a copy.

It costs about $100-ish to send the food to a lab for independent testing. You should be able to arrange it through your vet, if you want to. If you've got a good relationship, your vet might even be willing to mount some of those fibers on a slide to look at under the microscope to see if they're plant-based or plastic.

I would also consider emailing pics and bar code info to Susan at Truthaboutpetfood.com -- she might have other reports and insight.

I'd also reach out to the retailer through their website so that they know what's going on.
Momto2GSDs and rockmissjess like this.

Last edited by Magwart; 01-13-2018 at 11:32 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

i did just that!! I got the wellness mailer today and i put in the food and copy of reciept and also had usps scan the package and print me a receipt so i had proof that i sent it.. I already sent it direct from the post office ill keep you all updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwart View Post
keep the original of that receipt and send a copy! They don't need your original. If you need to make any sort of claim later, having the original is better than a copy.

It costs about $100-ish to send the food to a lab for independent testing. You should be able to arrange it through your vet, if you want to. If you've got a good relationship, your vet might even be willing to mount some of those fibers on a slide to look at under the microscope to see if they're plant-based or plastic.

I would also consider emailing pics and bar code info to susan at truthaboutpetfood.com -- she might have other reports and insight.

I'd also reach out to the retailer through their website so that they know what's going on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	editwellness.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	473882  
GatorBytes likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 05:54 PM

I looked over the ingredients here https://www.wellnesspetfood.com/natu...ge-breed-puppy
and thought the "things" looked like sprouting barley or something sprouting. Not green obviously, but something that had begun to sprout in the source batch just before the shaping and drying stage of kibble production.

What makes me think so is the way the things are growing away from the kibble and are not mushed into it, like I'd think something foreign in the kibble mixture would be.

Will be interesting to find out what it actually is!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

WELLNESS CONTACTED ME TODAY WITH RESULTS ~ So apparently there is a quality control issue... those are large ungrinded peices of barley and rice... and they are contacting all their plants to let them know the quality is unacceptable.. and need to make sure it is grinded down all the way.. as ive said before i have fed wellness for a long time and never had this issue before...so hopefully they will take care of it.. just wanted to keep you all updated.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmissjess View Post
WELLNESS CONTACTED ME TODAY WITH RESULTS ~ So apparently there is a quality control issue... those are large ungrinded peices of barley and rice... and they are contacting all their plants to let them know the quality is unacceptable.. and need to make sure it is grinded down all the way.. as ive said before i have fed wellness for a long time and never had this issue before...so hopefully they will take care of it.. just wanted to keep you all updated.
Thank you for this update! I feed my puppy Wellness Core Puppy and have made sure to look closely at each new bag as it is delivered since reading this thread. So far no issues. Good for you for following through and bringing this to their attention.
rockmissjess likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page