What is this in my puppies food!!????? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 10Likes
  • 1 Post By voodoolamb
  • 2 Post By rockmissjess
  • 1 Post By Momto2GSDs
  • 2 Post By Magwart
  • 1 Post By rockmissjess
  • 2 Post By rockmissjess
  • 1 Post By JaxsMom
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
rockmissjess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Prescott, AZ
Posts: 34
Exclamation What is this in my puppies food!!?????

WHAT IS THIS IN MY PUPPIES FOOD!!?????

Its hard and pokey like wood shavings... Ive been using wellness for years and ive NEVER had a bag with this in it.. ever.

Wellness Large Breed Puppy Complete (aka Super5)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01518JPG.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	472346   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01517JPG.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	472354   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01516JPG.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	472362   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01515JPG.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	472370   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01514JPG.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	472378  

rockmissjess is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 03:14 AM
Master Member
 
Femfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 835
What is this in my puppies food!!?????

Looks almost rosemary but I know it uses extract rather than the actual herb, so thatís definitely weird. Iím actually not sure what that could be...

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Femfa is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 12:05 PM
Elite Member
 
voodoolamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: NC
Posts: 1,726
Wellness did have a recall early last year for foreign material contamination.

If it's not something foreign to the kibble, my best guess would be husks from the barley... of course there is really no way to know for sure. Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Quality control and company trust is so important...

https://www.petful.com/brands/wellness/
rockmissjess likes this.
voodoolamb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
rockmissjess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Prescott, AZ
Posts: 34
YES! I did they are sending me a mailer to send them the food they need to do testing on it.. and i will also send them the reciept with the store information on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoolamb View Post
Wellness did have a recall early last year for foreign material contamination.

If it's not something foreign to the kibble, my best guess would be husks from the barley... of course there is really no way to know for sure. Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Quality control and company trust is so important...

https://www.petful.com/brands/wellness/
Jax08 and tim_s_adams like this.
rockmissjess is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 11:16 AM
Crowned Member
 
Momto2GSDs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmissjess View Post
YES! I did they are sending me a mailer to send them the food they need to do testing on it.. and i will also send them the reciept with the store information on it.
Make sure that YOU keep a couple pieces of the kibble. Also, copies of the bar code on the bag and receipt.

This will be interesting!
Please keep us updated on what they say.

Moms
rockmissjess likes this.
Momto2GSDs is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 11:30 AM
Crowned Member
 
Magwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,489
Keep the original of that receipt and send a copy! They don't need your original. If you need to make any sort of claim later, having the original is better than a copy.

It costs about $100-ish to send the food to a lab for independent testing. You should be able to arrange it through your vet, if you want to. If you've got a good relationship, your vet might even be willing to mount some of those fibers on a slide to look at under the microscope to see if they're plant-based or plastic.

I would also consider emailing pics and bar code info to Susan at Truthaboutpetfood.com -- she might have other reports and insight.

I'd also reach out to the retailer through their website so that they know what's going on.
Momto2GSDs and rockmissjess like this.

Last edited by Magwart; 01-13-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Magwart is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
rockmissjess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Prescott, AZ
Posts: 34
i did just that!! I got the wellness mailer today and i put in the food and copy of reciept and also had usps scan the package and print me a receipt so i had proof that i sent it.. I already sent it direct from the post office ill keep you all updated



Quote:
Originally Posted by magwart View Post
keep the original of that receipt and send a copy! They don't need your original. If you need to make any sort of claim later, having the original is better than a copy.

It costs about $100-ish to send the food to a lab for independent testing. You should be able to arrange it through your vet, if you want to. If you've got a good relationship, your vet might even be willing to mount some of those fibers on a slide to look at under the microscope to see if they're plant-based or plastic.

I would also consider emailing pics and bar code info to susan at truthaboutpetfood.com -- she might have other reports and insight.

I'd also reach out to the retailer through their website so that they know what's going on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	editwellness.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	473882  
GatorBytes likes this.
rockmissjess is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 05:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Tr@ce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: LonG Island, New Yawk
Posts: 307
I looked over the ingredients here https://www.wellnesspetfood.com/natu...ge-breed-puppy
and thought the "things" looked like sprouting barley or something sprouting. Not green obviously, but something that had begun to sprout in the source batch just before the shaping and drying stage of kibble production.

What makes me think so is the way the things are growing away from the kibble and are not mushed into it, like I'd think something foreign in the kibble mixture would be.

Will be interesting to find out what it actually is!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
rockmissjess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Prescott, AZ
Posts: 34
WELLNESS CONTACTED ME TODAY WITH RESULTS ~ So apparently there is a quality control issue... those are large ungrinded peices of barley and rice... and they are contacting all their plants to let them know the quality is unacceptable.. and need to make sure it is grinded down all the way.. as ive said before i have fed wellness for a long time and never had this issue before...so hopefully they will take care of it.. just wanted to keep you all updated.
rockmissjess is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 06:57 PM
Member
 
JaxsMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmissjess View Post
WELLNESS CONTACTED ME TODAY WITH RESULTS ~ So apparently there is a quality control issue... those are large ungrinded peices of barley and rice... and they are contacting all their plants to let them know the quality is unacceptable.. and need to make sure it is grinded down all the way.. as ive said before i have fed wellness for a long time and never had this issue before...so hopefully they will take care of it.. just wanted to keep you all updated.
Thank you for this update! I feed my puppy Wellness Core Puppy and have made sure to look closely at each new bag as it is delivered since reading this thread. So far no issues. Good for you for following through and bringing this to their attention.
rockmissjess likes this.
JaxsMom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome