How much is the right amount? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

How much is the right amount?

Just been wondering for a while now how much other GSD owners feed their shepherds.

My girl is 1.5yrs old and about 70lbs.

How much (in cups) do you feed your GSD and how often daily? Also, just as a bonus what food do you use?

(FYI I'm referring to dry dog food in this post)

Thanks for all responses!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 01:06 PM

Well, Jack is 90 pounds of lean running machine, so the amounts here are going to be larger than yours. He eats somewhere between 3-6 cups a day split between two meals. We put 3 cups in his bowl in the morning and check it in the evening. Whatever is there, it gets topped off at 3 cups. No more. No less.

If he doesn't get much exercise that day, he might eat only 3 cups spread out the whole day. When he gets lots of exercise, he'll wolf down all 6 cups.

For the most part, though, we just use the directions on the bag as a starting point. What determines how much he eats is how many ribs we can see. If we can only see two while he's standing still, we cut back on the food by a cup. If we see more than three, we increase his food by a cup or encourage him to eat all of the food in his bowl. Right now, I think we can see four ribs while he's standing still, and most of them when he's stretched out or running. That's a little skinny to me, but the vet told us he's in great shape and it's better to keep him a little skinny to prevent hip problems later in life.

So, what I'd say is go by body condition. Use the bag to give you an idea of about how much food she should eat, and then adjust based on what you see.

For what it's worth, we use Blue Buffalo Wilderness Large Breed. Duck and chicken mixed together.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 01:26 PM

It depends on the calories per cup and your dog's metabolism and how active they are. I feed my big boy a cup of kibble in the morning and two at night, along with an egg, some apple, a bully stick, some all natural peanutbutter (a tbl at most) and training treats (varies stuff) throughout the day. If we don't do much exercise in a day I may knock it down half a cup. With winter, they burn more calories trying to stay warm if they spend a lot of time outdoors, so I give a few more high value treats.

My gal-dog, who is much small, get 1/2 cup in the morning and 1 1/2 cups in the afternoon. She may or may not get 1/2 a bully stick (6") but does get a carrot. Other than that I feed her the same as my boy. They are both trim and slim.

So you even with something as consistent as kibble, you have to make your best guess and see how your dog does.

By the way, we used Beaverdam Active dog / puppy. And almost forgot, various flavors of 4 Health canned food as toppers at night, but just a 1/4 of the can.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 01:48 PM

Keystone
neutered male
4yrs
typically 55lbs
typically above moderate activity
Acana Meadowlands
1.5c @ 6am
1.5c @ 6pm

Tilden
neutered male
11yrs
60ish lbs
moderately active
Acana Meadowlands
1c @ 6am
1c @ 6pm

I don’t like feeding my dogs more than 3 cups of food daily, so I generally will find a food that is nutritionally/caloricly dense enough not to exceed that amount. Also, like car2ner - they get a bunch of other “stuff” throughout the day, week, and typically on the weekends I’ll prepare raw if we’re home.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!

Last edited by Fodder; 01-06-2018 at 01:52 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 02:22 PM
Master Member

Ruger, intact male, 65 lbs. (underweight, should be at least 70 lbs.): Victor Select Chicken and Rice - 4.5 cups daily split into 3 meals, topped with fresh meats, coconut oil and fish oil once per day.

Arya, 5 month old intact female: ANP Original Formula, 3.5 cups daily split into 3 meals, also topped with fresh meats, fish oil, and coconut oil once per day (in smaller amounts than my male).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Melissa

Iris vom Oldenburg -- 12/26/05

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 04:19 PM
Crowned Member

Deja, 4 year old intact female with an active life, weighing 58 lbs.
AM: 3/4 cup high end kibble (rotate brands for variety)
PM: raw. Amounts, depending on her 'ribbiness'.
Example: 1 chicken back, handful of muscle meat or tripe and about 1/2 cup of liver and kelp mix.
Other days other meat sources, eggs etc.

Last edited by wolfy dog; 01-06-2018 at 04:22 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 05:40 PM

Sheba, at 21 weeks old and weighing 49 lbs, eats 4.5 cups of kibble and 1.5 cups of canned daily, over three meals, so a total of 6 cups a day. She is not overly active, but remains quite lean at this amount. I agree with an earlier poster that the number of cups per day does not mean much in itself, as the calories from one brand to another can vary by a large margin (Sheba's kibble has 470 calories/cup)

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

OUR DOGS:
purebred GSD - Sheba
purebred Shih Tzu - Chrissy
mixed Maltese/Scottish Terrier - Bubba
purebred GSD - Chrissy
purebred Toy Poodle - Freeway
purebred Toy Poodle - Benji
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page