dry food alternative to raw - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

dry food alternative to raw

Hi everyone, I'm sure this has been discussed MANY times, sorry to bring it up again. I feed mainly a frankenprey model raw diet following the 80/10/5/5 percentages. However, I own a business and put in some really long hours. My boy comes to work with me and when I am working late I like to have kibble handy so I can feed him at my office. I use to buy Orijen when it was made in Canada with the Canadian formula using "whole" prey type meats and didn't mind spending the extra $$ for a top notch kibble. Now that they have changed their formula I do not want to pay the same high $$ for a lesser food so I am trying the Acana fish formula for a bit less money. Unfortunately my boys poop is not very solid on this food, not runny, just a bit soft, some days softer than others, and not well formed like it should be.

Any recommendations on what other grain free kibble I might try? I have heard a lot of folks recommending Victor (not sure if one formula is better than the others?) Fromm, Zignature, Wellness???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 10:42 PM
Crowned Member

This thread from Dec. 23 has some suggestions:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-dog-food.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 10:52 PM
Administrator

When I feed a meal (or full days) off the raw they're currently eating, both of my GSDs do well with Victor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 11:12 PM
Crowned Member

There's an interesting new kibble from the family that originally started Wellness (before it was sold to a conglomerate): Rawz.

It's a kibble, but it's supposed to be processed at lower temps, use fewer ingredients, and most importantly using nothing that's rendered (no rendered fats or meat meals). They use dehydrated chicken instead of chicken meal and lots of named organ meats. They use multiple proteins (as Fromm does) in the regular line (and they offer a limited ingredient single-protein line too). It's 40% protein for the regular line or 25% for the limited ingredient line.
RAWZ | Chicken, Turkey & Chicken

They're trying to focus on ingredient transparency:
RAWZ | Ingredients Source

They encourage using it as a supplement to raw feeding -- which is a nice philosophy:
RAWZ | Meal Free Dry

I got a few sample bags from the local store, and my dogs went gaga for the limited ingredient duck, so I think the palatability must be pretty good. It's very new, so you're unlikely to find a lot of reviews yet, but the Scott family had a good reputation back when they were running OMH/WellPet (i.e., before they sold the company).

It runs about $70 for a 20 lb. bag. I think we pay about $65 for a 28 pound page of Fromm Four Star grain free. The ingredients look a little better than Fromm though. My kibble-fed dogs have done great on the Fromm, so I'm reluctant to change, but I may rotate this in occasionally.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 02:39 AM
Crowned Member

Magwart- thanks for posting- My dogs are doing great on Fromm but looks likes this would be on the list to mix things up a bit and use as a rotation. This looks like something I was looking for.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 11:58 AM

My Boy was having trouble with less than solid poops so we switched to The Honest Kitchen Grain Free Dehydrated food. Expensive food but It's wonderful stuff, my boy loved it and poops firmed up nicely. Then we transitioned him to grain-free Victor kibble as someone else commented are are happy with it. We still mix in some of The Honest Kitchen grain-free Dehydrated food with the Victor Kibble because we like it so much. Probably 70% Victor 30% The Honest Kitchen.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 12:24 PM
Crowned Member

I feed total raw. I tried to pick something that was as close to raw as possible for our dog's when we go on vacation and have been using Ziwi Peak with great results! It is expensive, and I do have to feed more than recommended for our male, but it's been worth it to us.
This is a concentrated food so you do not feed as much as kibble.
Travels well, no refrigeration required.

Put your dogs info into this calculator to see amount fed per day: https://www.ziwipets.com/ziwi-difference/scoop-science
EXAMPLE for an 80 pound active adult dog:
Energy required: 1922 kCal
Amount fed per day: 13oz
Scoops per day: 6.49

Here is the info:
ZIWI PEAK:
"Air Dried Food"
ZiwiPeak Cuisine
(condensed info)
ZiwiPeak pet food is a complete, natural balanced real-meat diet prepared with care in New Zealand.
All of our natural ingredients are sourced from the green, free range farms and blue, pristine oceans of New Zealand. The twin stage process eliminates pathogenic bacteria, such as e.coli, salmonella and listeria, while protecting the natural nutrition of our ingredients. As a further safety step, our products are mandatory tested and only released for sale after approval by the New Zealand government's regulatory authorities.
Air-drying is a technique that has been used for centuries to naturally preserve meats. Our modern method stays true to this artisan approach, while eliminating the need for artificial preservatives, salts, sugars or glycerines. Our slow, gentle, twin-stage air-drying process crafts a food that is as nutrient-dense and digestible as a completely raw diet but safe, clean to handle and can store for up to 21 months.

Example:
Beef: A complete, balance diet of ranch raised beef meat and organs, this protein rich meal features delicious red meat and nutrient dense organs. It also includes New Zealand green-lipped mussels, a natural source of chondroitin for joint support, and herbs, vitamins and minerals, making it suitable for all breeds and life stages.

Beef ingredients -

Beef, Beef Liver, Beef Kidney, Beef Heart, Beef Tripe, Beef Bone, Beef Lung, New Zealand Green Mussel, Inulin from Chicory, Dried Kelp, Sea Salt, Parsley, Minerals (Potassium Bicarbonate, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Selenium Yeast, Manganese Amino Acid Complex), Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B1 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid). Naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols.

Guaranteed Analysis - Click on "full typical analysis" for nutrition info: https://www.ziwipets.com/ziwi-peak-d...ried-beef-dogs

Price is $117.00 but if you get it on the "auto shipped" program the price goes down to $105.00 for 8 pounds at Only Natural Pet: ZiwiPeak Daily Cuisine Grain-Free Air-Dried Dog Food

Moms
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 11:29 PM
Knighted Member

My dog eats raw combined or alternated with Farmina Natural and Delicious. She's done really well with the venison and quinoa formula, but the wild boar and apple was a good pick for her as well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 11:36 PM
Crowned Member

Currently we feed Petcurean, Victor, Fromm, and some honest kitchen. My wife has been experimenting, but I can't keep track of which dog gets what so I just give them whatever one the measuring cup is in.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepkau View Post
We still mix in some of The Honest Kitchen grain-free Dehydrated food with the Victor Kibble because we like it so much. Probably 70% Victor 30% The Honest Kitchen.

I do the same, mixing some Honest Kitchen in with Victor. If I didnít have 3 dogs to feed, Iíd probably feed more of the Honest Kitchen. Just canít afford it.
stepkau likes this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page